Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICS and router / disable WAN

Options
  • 08-10-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    trying to set up a wireless network using a Dlink 524 router, I currently don't have a BB conection and connect to net via a usb ISDN modem.
    I want to use windows ICS to share the connection with the other comps, but I can't diable the WAN on the router which is trying to act as gateway, DNS etc.
    any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

KAGY wrote:
    Hi all,
    trying to set up a wireless network using a Dlink 524 router, I currently don't have a BB conection and connect to net via a usb ISDN modem.
    I want to use windows ICS to share the connection with the other comps, but I can't diable the WAN on the router which is trying to act as gateway, DNS etc.
    any ideas?
    You don't need to disable the WAN. Just disable the DHCP server, and let the ICS machine send out any DHCP responses.

Plug the ICS machine into one of the LAN ports not the WAN port. You'll essentialy be using the DI-524 as a wireless access point.

(I'm actually posting this message from a PC that's wirelessly connected to a DI-524 that's set up in exactly this way - not to an ICS "server", but to another router).

Advertisement