Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this sound like a good deal? (advice)

Options
  • 08-10-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

My friend is moving out of her place at the end of November. It's in the middle of Dun Laoghaire at the bottom of some apartments (which my other friend happens to live in so big plus there:)) It has 3 rooms, toilet/shower, smallish bedroom and then a sitting room (with sofa bed)/kitchen (fridge, oven, hob, extractor fan, microwave, washing machine). It also has a small back yard and parking behind that and a small shed at the front under the steps leading up to my friends apartment. I'm not too sure of the exact size in square foot or anything but it's €600 per month which considering a small room in a shared house will be €400 in the same location, isn't too bad. The condition of the place is very good. The building can't be more than 10 years old I'm guessing and it's in good nick.

Just a few questions. The place at the moment has a tv and therefore must have a tv license. If I move in, I'd never use the tv so wouldn't want the extra cost of a tv license. Is it hassle for the landlady to cancel such a thing and take back her tv?

I do a bit of woodworking and have a woodturning lathe which would actually fit in the shed. Is there anything that would legally prohibit me using the shed for this? This is woodturning for those who weren't sure, as you can see, it would be quite messy.

Another thing is, I recycle A LOT, pretty much everything that can be recycled, I recycle. There's no way I'd fill a wheelie bin every week. It'd probably only be full every 4 weeks, if even. Must I pay a fixed fee for the waste bin and for the recycle bin plus pay by weight for each collection or is there no yearly fee? Recycle bin is free, right?

What other bills will I be paying? Just electricity?

http://www.daft.ie/225233

There's another one which is €100 dearer but it's got a big advantage of being detached (I like loud music:D). Does that look like a good deal?

Also, what's the story with haggling on rent prices? Could I get the above down to €600 with a bit of persuasion? :)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

1. Re: TV licence- its far easier to not renew a TV licence than to get a refund for a pre-existing licence. You would have to send a note to the TV licence collection section in the GPO detailing that you no longer have a TV at the location.

2. Woodturning- if it was a commercial enterprise, then yes, you would be prohibited from doing it in a store shed attached to a domestic abode. As a hobby- well, ask your landlady, I can't see it being a problem, providing she agrees with it- and you aren't too noisy etc.

3. Recycle bin is free (its paid for by funds collected from the other bin). My understanding is that there is a yearly fee and thereafter its charged by weight (in South Dublin its a fixed fee per bin regardless of what you put in it- 8 Euro for the 120 litre bin- perhaps someone in the Dunlaoghaire-Rathdown district could tell you how they manage theirs?

4. Bills, bills, bills......
    Electricity is the obvious one. Heating (be it gas/oil or solid) is another. Phoneline/Cable/Residents Parking Permit, etc- it might be best to ask your landlord what bills you could expect.

5. Good luck haggling with rent prices- the other one clearly states no Rent Allowances- and given the area, I would be quite surprised if your landlord was willing to haggle. Try it though- worst case scenario they say no.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool thanks for the advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think the price is very good as is

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey are different places.
    cormie wrote:
    Just a few questions. The place at the moment has a tv and therefore must have a tv license.
    One presumes, but is it true?
    cormie wrote:
    I do a bit of woodworking and have a woodturning lathe which would actually fit in the shed.
    Just keep it down and to reasonable hours I suppose.
    cormie wrote:
    Another thing is, I recycle A LOT, pretty much everything that can be recycled, I recycle. There's no way I'd fill a wheelie bin every week. It'd probably only be full every 4 weeks, if even. Must I pay a fixed fee for the waste bin and for the recycle bin plus pay by weight for each collection or is there no yearly fee? Recycle bin is free, right?
    You will need to check the scheme that DL-R have.
    cormie wrote:
    What other bills will I be paying? Just electricity?
    List of bills http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75233
    cormie wrote:
    Also, what's the story with haggling on rent prices? Could I get the above down to €600 with a bit of persuasion? :)
    If you haggle, she may haggle back - remember your friend is paying an 'old' rent.

Advertisement