Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which players should never get another game for us?

• 08-10-2006 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Who should be kicked off the Ireland team right now and never asked to play for us again?

With all this blaming of Staunton for our recent woes I think I think a fair portion of the blame should go on the players who (imho) haven't been pulling their weight long before Staunton came into the picture (right back to after wc2002 imho).

Which guys do you think that if we got rid of and replaced with someone else we probably wouldn't do much worse (and possibly better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Without a doubt I would have to say John O Shea. I dont think the guy has ever had even ONE decent game for us, he is an absolute non-entity as a player. And i'm from Waterford AND a Man U supporter.

He would be swiftly followed by Andy O Brien and Kevin Kilbane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

O Shea,Kilbane, O'Brien,Carr(I know he wasnt playing yesterday but still) , Morrison. I think they would be the most obivous choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Andy O Brien - Simply not good enough
    John O Shea - Constantly puts in poor performances

Dont dislike Kilbane as much as i used to, he has put in some good performances in his Irish career, can be effective when used properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I've been saying Andy O' Brian for years! I think I actually went out and celebrated the day Newcastle got rid of him for something crazy like £2m :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kilbane.

And Morrison. He should never have been allowed play for Ireland anyway. Weighting up his options to see what was his best for his own club career. Either you want to play for Ireland or foxtrot oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i think Kilbane and Morrison can do a job still for Ireland but certainly O Shea and O Brien shouldn't be called up based on yesterdays performance and get rid of Carr too.

We don't need him. How stupid is Stan? Saying he wants to build a team for the future but he takes back Carr from retirement and says no to Holland and Carsley when we have **** all cover in central midfield and the best RB in the PL in our squad. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

he certainly didnt look like the best rb in the pl lastnight, in fact i would say that judging by last nights performance there are far superior rb's in the eircom league.
    On the subject of players not getting another game for us i'd add Paddy Kenny to that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I think it's definetly time Kilbane's career was ended. I don't think he ever doesn't give 100%, but he's just such a poor all round footballer.
    O Shea, O Brien and Morrison should definetly be dropped and I think Robbie Keane should be stripped off his captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

O'Shea has to go and would agree, give the captains armband to someone who deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ruu wrote:
    give the captains armband to someone who deserves it.

That'd be a problem. There is no one on that team who deserves it.

Is it allowable to play without a captain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kilbane, O' Brien, Carr, Morrison shouldn't EVER pull on a green jersey again. They've all spurned chance after chance in the Irish team.

O'Shea is generally crap but he's a utility player who can cover so many positions. Not a first choice but should still be in the squad.

Robbie Keane is annoying to watch but we're really lacking upfront and once he gets decent service he's usually good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pigman II wrote:

Shay Given or Richard Dunne?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Pigman II wrote:

Shay Given deserves it, argueably the only reason untill this point Irelands slide in quality has not been so blatently obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Carr, O'Shea, O'Brien. I dislike Morrisson and I don't rate Kilbane, but Morrisson has in the past scored goals for us, and Kilbane puts in the effort if nothing else. I don't think either should get near the starting XI in the event that we had everyone fit, but nor do I think they should be discarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I just couldnt believe the limp attempt by the 'team' yesterday...Stan said himself that it looked as though the players didnt have a clue who each other were when they got onto the pitch!!

Back to thread...O'Shea, O'Brien, Kenny are not good enough

I agree with a post above about Morrisson, its wrong to weigh up your international options but thats for another day. The rest of the players need to take a long good look at themselves because Ive seen better effort from Under 8s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Rockee wrote:
    I just couldnt believe the limp attempt by the 'team' yesterday...Stan said himself that it looked as though the players didnt have a clue who each other were when they got onto the pitch!!

Back to thread...O'Shea, O'Brien, Kenny are not good enough

I agree with a post above about Morrisson, its wrong to weigh up your international options but thats for another day. The rest of the players need to take a long good look at themselves because Ive seen better effort from Under 8s.
    I don't care about players weighing up their international options once they do the business on the pitch. Morrison should be dropped because he's awful, can't hold the ball up, can't control the ball, no effort. His reasons for playing for Ireland are irrelevat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I don't care about players weighing up their international options once they do the business on the pitch. Morrison should be dropped because he's awful, can't hold the ball up, can't control the ball, no effort. His reasons for playing for Ireland are irrelevat.

Well either way he's as guilty as the rest of them for what happened yesterday. I agree with what you said about not holding the ball up. Perhaps the only time he managed to do that and score was against Russia in Moscow 4 years ago...which we still lost 4-2. Anyway, we've got a generous football team, we gifted the mighty Cyprus their first win (hammering if you will) since they beat Andorra in 2000...thats unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Andy O'Brien
    Clinton Morrison
    John O'Shea
    Stephen Carr
    Kevin Kilbane

Robbie Keane should be stripped of the Captain's Armband as well and it be handed to Given or Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Andy O Brien, John O Shea, Clinton Morrison

The first two, i dont think have ever played a decent game for ireland and Clinton Morrisson hasnt played a good game in 2 years at least

I've always had a soft spot for Kilbane and though he may be useless, at least he tries!, which is more than can be said for half the useless ........ we have playing on our team atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

got to be Andy O Brien and Kevin Kilbane never to play for ireland again they looked like they didnt even care last nite. the only one in midfeild who was trying to tackle was young ireland and he is not a ball winner, bring back carsely he will win the ball back and give it his all. seeing matt holland on the tv shown instead of playing was a huge disappointment too! about the captain (robbie keane) it got to be given to dunne or given the only too irish players who give it there all and lead the team. and i think people should give morrison a break he works his ass off unlike robbie keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Paddy Kenny. Put a pair of gloves on a kangaroo from Dublin zoo and he'd put in a better goalkeeping performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Triton wrote:
    Paddy Kenny. Put a pair of gloves on a kangaroo from Dublin zoo and he'd put in a better goalkeeping performance.

I don't think they have kangaroos in the zoo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Kilbane ... but I think I've said that before, many, many times but no-one is listening.

Also, Andy O'Brien was guilty of some major offences.

Stephen Kenny was guilty of one goal too, but it wasnt that one which lost us the game.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

O'Brien is complete horse **** to be honest. O'Shea should not be allowed near the defence. Kilbane should not be allowed near the centre of midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bit harsh on Kilbane i think. You cant say the lad doesnt put the effort in. He just doesnt have the ability.

Hes not a centre midfield and never has been, is it his fault he is continually picked to play there?

Advertisement