Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a car in the UK

Options
  • 08-10-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Im heading over to the Uk next month for contract work. Can anyone tell me can I register a car in the UK with my Irish licence?

Besides insurance is there anything else I need to register the car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

No VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

yeah you should be fine , some dealers sometime look for proof of address in the uk like utility bill aswell. have you set up a uk account yet or how do you intend to pay as some dealers will be suspicious if you give a uk address for dvla and then give irish aib and the like bankers draft . but as you are moving there waiting 48 hrs etc for funds to clear shouldnt be a problem.

what car are you looking at?

dont want to thread hi-jack but when you buy a car in the uk and live in the north do you have to register with dvla ni or does the dealer send it to dvla swansea who send it on to the north?

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

I wouldn’t fancy giving a Uk dealership a sterling draft to collect the car 48 hrs later, no keys no draft.

I will prob go with an Ulster bank draft to avoid any conflict but no way would I hand over money without getting the keys especially with a private sale.

I’m considering a 330Cd but with the VRT being over 10 grand ill prob just settle for a 320cd with low miles. Ill be over there 3-6 months so Ill have to take the VRT into consideration when buying the car unfortunately.

I don’t want to go getting my Irish licence changed for the sake of 6 months driving if that was the case it would be more hassle than its worth.

kilasser wrote:

Im not looking to bring an Irish car over mate just registering a UK car in my name under my Irish licence.

I know if I was to become a full time resident Id have to change my licence but for the sake of 6 months do I need to chance over to a UK licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

it's no problem at all.

My other half did it a few years ago, moved over to UK on the sunday, walked into Honda dealer on the friday with draft and drove out the gate and hour later. She opened her UK bank account on the Monday.

She moved back three years laters and brought that car and another back VRTless.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

change to a UK licence £38 stg and its yours till your 70 years old

Some UK insurance companies will insist on a UK licence

Yeah im finding the insurance will be bit more with the Irish license from ringing around.

Nothing too mad tho some companies even offer EU drive for an extra 200 quid - allows unlimited EU driving which is a great idea - Irish or EU full license.

Insurance is not a huge issue - some insurers will even take my full Irish no claims into account which is another plus (I am currently with Hibernian).

My main concern was registering the car and as whippet says that can be done with the Irish license no problem.

I could pay the 38 quid and give up my Irish license but then ill be facing an insurance hike when I return. As i said if I decide to stay then ill go down that route.

Advertisement