Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our under age teams. Any hope for the future?

• 08-10-2006 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

With all this talk from Staunton of 'building for the future', do we have the players in the under 21s, 19s etc that makes this realistic? Have we got enough good players coming through or are we in a period where we continue to drop in the rankings and then cant ever qaulify for anything? Like Scotland and (jayyyusss) Northern Ireland!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah lets pity Scotland and Northern Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Who on our current team is from the youth team that did great at the underage WC in Malaysia iirc years back?

just googled, we came 3rd. Now our senior team will struggle to come 3rd in fcuking qualifiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Who on our current team is from the youth team that did great at the underage WC in Malaysia iirc years back?

Duff and Robbie Keane I think.

Not many of those players made it to top flight football despite finishing 3rd or something in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The lesson we need to learn from those underage achievements is that the sum can be better than our constituent parts. Our underage teams have never been blessed with huge talent, but teamwork and attention to detail helped even the playing field when we met more technically gifted teams.

I'd prefer that we concentrated on coaching, and addressed the skills deficit in our ranks, but as an interim measure we must surely be looking at the methods employed by Kerr back then (and Fat Sam at Bolton today...the pro zone, not the bungs...:D ) to ensure we gain some edge by preparing properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd prefer that we concentrated on coaching
    Since there was such little evidence of a well-coached senior team yesterday, I don't hold out much hope for the kiddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer Kerr the sun, moon and stars to take his old job back. If he keeps getting knocked back for jobs outside Ireland, he'll consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A top class manager would have the current bunch of players in contension on the last day of the group. It was taking the biscuit to play Kilbane and Ireland together in bloody training, never mind an actual competitive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

we have to go back to basics like the Dutch didin the 60's, proper soccer academies . it would mean a few barren years until the first group of kids come of age, but it's the only way for a long term reasonable standard of football.

galwayrush wrote:
    we have to go back to basics like the Dutch didin the 60's, proper soccer academies . it would mean a few barren years until the first group of kids come of age, but it's the only way for a long term reasonable standard of football.

Why look back to the 60s?

Clairefontaine

Why look back to the 60s?

Clairefontaine
    that's when the Dutch started their major development plan in soccer, and in the 70's, they managed to get to two world cup finals.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote:
    that's when the Dutch started their major development plan in soccer, and in the 70's, they managed to get to two world cup finals.

I know.

I'm just saying there is a more recent example of youth development in France that we could look to for guidance. Click the link.

I know.

I'm just saying there is a more recent example of youth development in France that we could look to for guidance. Click the link.
    impressive.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gibson, Stokes and McShane could be the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Oh everyone's the future with you, PHB.

Anyway, in better news the U-19's disposed of Belarus today and have qualified with Holland from a 4 team group in the Uefa U-19's Championship

Sean McCafferey(great coach) who has always worked well with underage teams is doing some good stuff.

Up next is Holland on Wednesday

Advertisement