Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pellet gun (pistol) and the amnesty

Options
  • 08-10-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Maybe someone could help me with this;

I have this friend who has two pellet guns. One works on CO2 and the other is just spring loaded. He is considering handing them in as part of the amnesty or just licencing them. Do you know how much the licence would cost. They only cost IR70 and IR40 so they aren't really worth paying EUR36 per year to keep.

I am correct in saying that if they are exert less than 1 joule they dont need to be licenced. The spring loaded one is a G10 .177 calibre and the CO2 one is a Daisy Powerline 1700. Both have serial numbers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You just answerd your own question, E36 each per annum to liscense.
    And both of them do not fit in the 1 joule category

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Eur38.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I tried to do this but when i went down to the gardai station, i didnt get the impression that the f/o officer would be impressed. As im sure the first question hed ask is where i came across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

in your attic

Thats what i was thinking however i can not find any serial number. And all ill say is it was located outside of europe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This thread is pointing up another failing (as I see it) with this Weapons Amnesty.
    The Minister has already acknowledged that the gangsters won't be handing in their weapons, but I reckon that 'ordinary honest' people will be very unlikely to hand in the type of thing mentioned here too.
    The amnesty isn't anonymous, so people with stuff that should have been licenced but wasn't (el-cheapo 'Spanish holiday' pellet guns, old shotguns that have slipped off the system or were never on it in the first place, great-granddad's old revolver from the Rising/Civil War/WW1, etc, etc.), are going to be very wary of turning up at a Garda Station and having to give an explanation of how they came into possession of the item in question.

I'm thinking that a lot of stuff will remain in 'storage' or will be disposed of in inventive and creative ways without pestering the Gardai with all that paperwork.

I agree rovi, in my opinion ordinary people wont want to go in to the gardai station and then open themseleves up to a possible interagation by the gardai. Not saying this would happen but im justing saying it as i see it. Has anyone on this handed in a gun, that wants to discuss how it went? Its just that i cant real imagen that you walk up throw it on the counter give your name and address and bob's your uncle.

If you compare it to the uk amensty where there was no questions asked. This could have been a betterformat for thr republics amensty.

Ya know,I am beginning to wonder about this name& address bit.Considering that we all know the bad guys arte not going to hand in their stuff,and they are asking for the good guys name and address.Is this to compile a list for a "lets be seen to be doin somthin" raids?On the theory,if they handed in somthing illegal,maybe they have more hidden??Figure the logic of a beauracrat,but that is how some of them think.
    So we all know that this stuff is now going to be illegal,and it must be disposed of.Last time I looked there were plenty of deep rivers,cliffs to the various seas around us,car crushers.Angle grinders,and acetlene cutters were still freely available,and with plenty of building projects,deep concrete foundation holes[Although they might be abit full these days with our local gangs disposing of unwanted bodies:eek: ].If you had somthing that you were not supposed to have I can think of plenty of ways of disposing of it without plonking it down on the Garda station day office counter.
    Or quite frankly as Rovi pointed out this stuff was kept out of sight for so long.It might just go back there where it slept for so long again.It hasnt been discoverd since and whats the chance of it being discoverd in the future??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RyderCup

Rovi wrote:
    The amnesty isn't anonymous, so people with stuff that should have been licenced but wasn't (el-cheapo 'Spanish holiday' pellet guns, old shotguns that have slipped off the system or were never on it in the first place, great-granddad's old revolver from the Rising/Civil War/WW1, etc, etc.), are going to be very wary of turning up at a Garda Station and having to give an explanation of how they came into possession of the item in question

You dont have to worry about questions - I know someone who brought in a small arsenal the other night and they didn't ask any questions. He said they even seemed quiet impressed and commented on how heavy some of the items were.

Most of it was WWII stuff mind you. I dont know how they would react to an M16.

RyderCup wrote:
    You dont have to worry about questions - I know someone who brought in a small arsenal the other night and they didn't ask any questions. He said they even seemed quiet impressed and commented on how heavy some of the items were.

Most of it was WWII stuff mind you. I dont know how they would react to an M16.

Dunno how they got away with that.Considering they have been saying that names&addys will be taken,so then those gaurds have been derelict in their duties or knew the fellow really well???No reason for them to react any different to an M16,if he has been handing a MP 40 or Garand.Personally I would keep the Garand and MP40 and give them the 16 any day.:eek:

OH BTW todays Indo the count is now 236 weapons handed in.
    Somthing like 26 handguns stun gun ,a can of Mace ,ten knives,a blank firer,and other misc junk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RyderCup

Ah Gunner, your post seems to have a challenging tone - how unusual.

To clarify;

They didn't ask any questions about the items handed in. As it happens they didn't ask him his name either because they knew it well. I'm sure they would have if they didn't. Where I come from the gardai know just about everyones name, unless you've been living under a rock, and besides if it was a Saturday night they would probably have been standing within 10 feet of him in the pub.

I don't know what a garand is so I can't comment on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

RyderCup wrote:
    I don't know what a garand is so I can't comment on that.
    garandri6.jpg
    M1 Garand
    "Best Battle Implement Ever Devised": Lt.Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
    Semi-automatic battle rifle as used by the American military through WW2 and Korea.
    An iconic and much revered symbol of the 'grunt soldier' during those conflicts, and a highly desirable collectable firearm.

Load up Saving Private Ryan and listen to those en bloc clips 'ping' out of the actions as the ammunition gets used up. It's among the most distinctive and recognisable 'shooting' noises in the world.

I hope your friend didn't hand one of those in for destruction :(
    Did they have anyone knowledgeable look at what they were proposing handing in?

RyderCup wrote:
    Ah Gunner, your post seems to have a challenging tone - how unusual.

T
    o clarify;

They didn't ask any questions about the items handed in. As it happens they didn't ask him his name either because they knew it well. I'm sure they would have if they didn't. Where I come from the gardai know just about everyones name, unless you've been living under a rock, and besides if it was a Saturday night they would probably have been standing within 10 feet of him in the pub.

I stand exonerated:)
    Where they amazed that somone they knew well,had a load of unliscensed firearms/weapons in his possesion???Just asking not challenging.

Advertisement