Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1 Litre on the motorway?

Options
  • 08-10-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a car on my 2nd provisional. I'm thinking a 1 litre, but would a 1 litre be suitable as I'll be travelling between Dublin and Galway quite alot on it. Would I be taking my life in my hands when trying to overtake?

And on the point of me being on my 2nd provisional, would I be in much trouble if caught on a motorway with a provisional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are buying a 1.0 ltr you cannot be planning on too much open road overtaking! You'll be able to keep up okay in a modern shopping trolley.

To answer second question - yes.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Motorway = No L Drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nachos wrote:
    I'll be travelling between Dublin and Galway quite alot
    Where there is a motorway, there is usually an alternative route also, for vehicles or drivers which are not permitted on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

a 1.0litre for motor way is fine , however I would suggest keeping the radio on as most 1.0 litre at 120kph operate at 4000-5000 revs. Fuel efficency will also be effected.

also with a 1.0 litre as already been stated , overtaking is a no no unless you have a clear runway in front of you but again as a learner just sit tight and leave space in front for others to overtake you and always keep the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

tvr wrote:
    a 1.0litre for motor way is fine , however I would suggest keeping the radio on as most 1.0 litre at 120kph operate at 4000-5000 revs. Fuel efficency will also be effected.

also with a 1.0 litre as already been stated , overtaking is a no no unless you have a clear runway in front of you but again as a learner just sit tight and leave space in front for others to overtake you and always keep the speed limit.

Sound advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

tvr wrote:

Sound advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

On the provisional lisence question, isn't the law that no 'L Drivers' are allowed on the motorway and people on a second provisional aren't required to display L plates unless this has changed in recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

JohnCleary wrote:
    Motorway = No L Drivers.

Nah you got it wrong.

Motorway = No L Plates

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Onkle51 wrote:
    people on a second provisional aren't required to display L plates ?
    Aren't required to be accompanied by a full licence holder (in category B).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Aren't required to be accompanied by a full licence holder (in category B).
    Correct 1st, 3rd and subsequent licences require a fully qualified driver only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

overtake away 1 litres can go just as fast as some cars just make sure to giv lots of revs in 3rd and 4th gears :) anyway why wud u be overtaking 1 litre cars can do 60mph easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

nachos wrote:
    And on the point of me being on my 2nd provisional, would I be in much trouble if caught on a motorway with a provisional?

if caught, you dont see many checkpoints on the m4....like it or lump thousands of L drivers use the m50 on a weekly basis, doesnt make it right but its yet another law unenforaceable by the long test waiting times

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

nachos wrote:
    YES! You seem to know it is against the law so why even think about doing it?

Advertisement