Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mopeds?

Options
  • 08-10-2006 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Thinking lately about getting one of these as they'd be more suited to me than a car for now. Just wondering if anyone has advice on would it be a good idea to get one.. How much would one cost, what's the insurance like? etc.. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

wel a moped is handy for moving around and most can do 50mph plus yamaha aerox been the best 4 speed iv seen them doing 65mph :) (dristricted of course and plenty of 2 stroke in it) theres only one company in ireland dat insures them so i dont realy know bout how much.depends on age.16 year old on areox can be up to 1500 tpft

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Car Mad wrote:
    most can do 50mph
    Then they are not legally defined as a 'moped'.

Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

Part 1 - Preliminary and General

"Moped means a mechanically propelled bicycle fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres, if of the internal combustion type, and/or having a maximum speed of not more than 45 kilometres per hour"

Then they are not legally defined as a 'moped'.

Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

Part 1 - Preliminary and General

"Moped means a mechanically propelled bicycle fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres, if of the internal combustion type, and/or having a maximum speed of not more than 45 kilometres per hour"

well they dont exceed 50cc but there fast mother f**kers.i was under the impression u cud drive them up to 60 mmph if u had a 125 licence.i stand corrected.:(

Car Mad wrote:
    well they dont exceed 50cc but there fast mother f**kers.i was under the impression u cud drive them up to 60 mmph if u had a 125 licence.i stand corrected.:(
    I think you may be confusing 'mopeds' with what are generally known as "scooters" which are legally defined as "motorcycles" if they are greater than 50cc and/or capable of exceeding 45kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I was thinking of geting a moped myself next year if i move up to college & i heard somewhere that you can drive them on a full car licence, is this true? I've a full b licence, would this be seen as a full m licence with insurance on a moped?

• Advertisement

well its classed as a moped there 49cc but they can go up to 60mph im not confusing them with motorcycles.i just didnt know that u had to go 45km/h on one.even restricted mopeds can do 65km/h why is the speed limit 45km/h on them.dosent matter to me i have a car

dceire wrote:
    i heard somewhere that you can drive them on a full car licence, is this true? I've a full b licence, would this be seen as a full m licence with insurance on a moped?
    Yes, a full licence in category B also automatically gives you a full licence in catergories M and W.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Car Mad wrote:
    wel a moped is handy for moving around and most can do 50mph plus yamaha aerox been the best 4 speed iv seen them doing 65mph :) (dristricted of course and plenty of 2 stroke in it) theres only one company in ireland dat insures them so i dont realy know bout how much.depends on age.16 year old on areox can be up to 1500 tpft

Fast for a moped pehaps but hardly quick in the real world.

its quick enough if u only 16 and starting out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

... and a lot faster in the real real world than cars for commuting to town...

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Yes, a full licence in category B also automatically gives you a full licence in catergories M and W.

Newer licences won't automatically have class M(EU rulings). You'll also find that a moped will feel very exposed and slow when cars start overtaking you dangerously even if you are at the speed limit within Dublin.

Newer licences won't automatically have class M(EU rulings). You'll also find that a moped will feel very exposed and slow when cars start overtaking you dangerously even if you are at the speed limit within Dublin.

never bothered me just keep in out of there way and leave the jackasses off:D

Advertisement