Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of joining the IIA

Options
  • 08-10-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,
    To all you members of the IIA, can you outline the benefits gained from being a member?

Obviously there are networking opportunities, but apart from that?
    I have been putting off joining because I cannot justify spending that money (Even if it is only a few hundred Euro) to gain nothing.

Any advice?
    Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I can't think of any benifits. Some people like to put the badge on their sites as a kudos thing, but unless your a big company i would not bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It's pretty much a networking opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The benefits are realistically very limited although it varies from company to company. Being a member means that you get to attend most meetings for free rather than pay €10 at the door, but it does not in any way give you a discount many of the other events such as the Net Visionary awards dinner, etc. There’s some stuff you need to be a member to get, but this is very limited and probably not worth the money on balance.

Where it can be worthwhile is in that it lends a bit of legitimacy to members as far as potential clients are concerned. This is limited as anyone can join, meaning it’s no guarantee of professionalism or quality, and many clients know this.

Whether it’s worth it really depends on your size. For a company with even a few employees - and thus overheads that approach or exceed €10k p.m. then membership is pocket change, and far cheaper than other forms of marketing in that bracket. In that case you might as well join.

If you’re a one-man-show then €220 p.a. is really not worth your while and even the associate membership that was announced (but does not appear to be offered openly on the site) at €95 p.a., may still be too high for what you getting (which is really just the use of their logos as everything else you can do without joining).

Advertisement