Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Q.

Options
  • 08-10-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

When is the right time to trim a griselinia hedge. I have been trying to get it to thicken at the bottom for a few years now but its a very slow process. Cutting back at the right time may help. Its about 3.5 ft high at moment. Can I get single cuttings to fill in the gaps ?
    Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Hi,

If its any use to use, I had the same problem with my griselina hedge. I cut it when it needed to be tidied up, really just in the summer months. I had a good few gaps and was thinking of putting in a couple of new grisilinia to fill them and then as if by magic , it just started to fill out and got very bushy...........I have no explanation for it but i think just before it happened we cut it more than usual. We have it about 8 yeas or so and it really took a good 7 years for it to take off. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

whats a grislena hedge look like?

I have a new hedge planted out front and they are really thin looking at the moment but I remember the tag saying they each spread about 1m and grow to 2m. Its got a kind of hard green leaf that cracks when folded over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Hi,

I would not class grisilinia as hard, It is a soft leaf. Have a look at this site
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/ click on shrubs and hedging , and click on the first sticky "Hedging plants in Ireland (size, spacing, flowers and fruit). There is a picture of grisilinia on there as well as others so that may help identify your hedge.

Nosmos king - you got me curious on when is the best time to cut grisilinia so I did a quick google search and it said May and August is the best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Early Spring and Late Autumn are good times. Griselinia is relatively a fast growing bulky hedge, but can suffer die back when whole sections suddenly decide to die. Affected sections must be removed quickly or else problem will spread. Any gaps can be replaced quite easily with heel cuttings or slips.

Limey green leaf but otherwise a fairly nondescript hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thanks for that link. Mines a grislenia alright.

I planted it in August and gave it a trim of about 6-8" off the top back then, so I'll leave it now until next May again to cut. I'll be planting another few then anyway. I planted them roughly 14" apart at the base...is that enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Early Spring and Late Autumn are good times. Griselinia is relatively a fast growing bulky hedge, but can suffer die back when whole sections suddenly decide to die. Affected sections must be removed quickly or else problem will spread. Any gaps can be replaced quite easily with heel cuttings or slips.

Limey green leaf but otherwise a fairly nondescript hedge.

Tks for that
    When and how do I take heel cuttings and when taken when do I plant them. Are they planted straight into the gap? I feel I need to fill about ten spaces (gaps).
    Look forward to hearing more
    Tks n adv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

What you need to do is cut it so that the top of the hedge is narrower than the base. This will allow light to get to the lower branches so they continue to grow.

Advertisement