Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my graphics card for gaming?

Options
  • 08-10-2006 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have a 19 month old dell dimension 8400. It has 2gb of ram, 3.4 processor and a 256MB nVidia Ge Force 6800. I'm getting back into gaming and I'm wondering is it a complete waste of money upgrading my card or should I hold off for a while yet? Is my 6800 capable of playing the most demanding games and still look good.

Whats the best card out at the moment, price and is there any significant improvement over my current card?

Also if I were to sell my 256MB nVidia Ge Force 6800, what would I get for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Nephew wrote:
    Is my 6800 capable of playing the most demanding games and still look good.

yes
    Nephew wrote:
    Whats the best card out at the moment, price and is there any significant improvement over my current card?

nvidia 7950 GX2 (wait for DX10 though)
    Nephew wrote:
    Also if I were to sell my 256MB nVidia Ge Force 6800, what would I get for it?

bout 100

i'd wait for DX 10 to come out before rushing into a better graphics card than a 6800gt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wait, nvidia dx10 cards out in november. 7 series nvidia will drop in price then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Vanilla 6800* not a GS/GT/Ultra varient ?

Well as the others have stated NV GeForce 8 DX10 class cards are just around the corner but they are going to be quite expensive initially.

If you do wait you may be able to snag a bargain as the GeForce 7 cards drop in price.

Does your have a motherboard an AGP or PCI-Express interface for your graphics card as that would be a deal breaker if it is AGP in not having much in the way of upgrade choices.

Download CPU-Z run it and look on the mainboard tab at the bottom it will list the type of graphics interface as AGP or PCI-Express.

* The vanilla ones were kinda crap but the others should still be okay for gaming as long as you don't push things too far stick to around 800x600 or 1024x768 and you should still be able to play most current games with the details set to high.

Advertisement