Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausages...ever looked at the ingredients!

• 08-10-2006 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

This morning i strolled up to the centre for sunday morning sausages and the indo..checked the ingredients for some reason and startled that it read contains 'preservative - sulphur dioxide'. Are they having a laugh!Irish based sausage maker.

Anyone into food science ? Is this okay ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I never knew that alright, knew it was present in soft drinks but didn't know it was used to preserve meat.
    This says that the only people who should worry though are people suffering from asthma, and only a small amount of them at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JohnWishbone11

cheers rb - looks like i will survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

"Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made."
    Otto von Bismarck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I hate things like that. I can understand partly that it might be needed but when i buy a sausage, I expect and hope that its only made of meats.

I wonder will will it be the low point if i ever see an ingredient on a bottle of water?!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

I have in the states, flouride[-ine?] was listed and also added minerals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

theTinker wrote:
    I hate things like that. I can understand partly that it might be needed but when i buy a sausage, I expect and hope that its only made of meats.

I wonder will will it be the low point if i ever see an ingredient on a bottle of water?!
    Well it is only a preservative. Sure enough in high doses it can be bad, but theres set standards to how much can be used. If you read the link I posted you'd see its in quite a few food/drinks that a lot of people would consume on a pretty regular basis.
    It keeps the meat fresh so I guess thats a good thing?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

The Irish Sausage is something akin to the British Emulsified High Fat Offal Tube ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I wouldn't worry about sulphur dioxide in my Sausages.

Steer clear of any foodstuffs that have dihydrogen monoxide listed in the ingrediants though.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Calibos wrote:
    Steer clear of any foodstuffs that have dihydrogen monoxide listed in the ingrediants though.
    A Penn & Teller fan, or are you thinking of this?-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawlljmaS1w

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

With sausages I suppose you get what you pay for.

99c for a pound of meat sound suspicious - can't be much good in that.

Tesco finest with sage & sundried tomatoes are rather nice as are some of the superquinn ones.

Used to be a shop in Blackrock that had superb sausages - somewhere behind Roches centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sarsfield wrote:
    The Irish Sausage is something akin to the British Emulsified High Fat Offal Tube ;)

I can't find the complete quote, that includes 'offcuts steamed off the carcas,' and it's too late for me to put in the DVD.

YM/YPM is as valid today as ever.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

traditional this, traditional that, bollix. Nearly all sausages in Ireland have tons of MSG in them (a.k.a E621). Believe it or not the only place I could find sausages without this was in LIDL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

bambam wrote:
    Believe it or not the only place I could find sausages without this was in LIDL!

Of course I believe it. It's German. Home of the sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Sulphur Dioxide - SO² is also present natually (and added) to wine and acts as an antioxidant/preserative. (hence the "Contains Sulfites." on US wine labels...)

I'll take preserved meat over the alternative anyday, but I much prefer Hick's sausages...

Advertisement