Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samhain trip to Tara

Options
  • 08-10-2006 8:30pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Halloween is fast approaching, and its almost time for our Samhain Celebrations to begin!

The one I shall be most looking forward to [second only to the Gingerman!], and the one I'd like to invite you all to is being run by Druidschool, Con Connor.

The ceremony itself is a long 12 hour full day and night event, but the most accessible ceremony for people will probably be the one on the Hill of Tara at 8pm. This is the one I intend to organize a return bus from Dublin for. [If you're interested in attending all or more than one, lettuce know :) ]

I organised one for the Summer Solstice and fun was had by all, I hope everyone will consider it again this time around.

The price of a return ticket from Dublin would be no more that 15 euro, and it will bring you *right* to the hill and back into town afterwards.

Offical info on the event:
    The start of the Celtic Year (Dark Moon of Samhain) is on Sunday, the 22nd of
    October this year CE 2006 when we have a huge family gathering of Sun, Mercury,
    Venus, Mars and Jupiter just after the Moon (dark) moves over 10* of Scorpio.

Simply put there will be six heavenly bodies in the one sign on this day.

We will create a pure new flame at Tlachtga at sunset setting our first sacred fire of the new year, bring this to Tara for our second sacred fire for 8pm (where interested people can get their own pure new flame to bring home) and then we bring this sacred fire to
    Sliabh na Callighe for 12 in the night for our third sacred fire. This 12 hour / triple sacred fire night of ceremony starting at Ireland's premier temple of Death and Rebirth is not for the faint hearted.
    ___

So, if you're interested just reply to me on jesjes at msn.com First come, first serve basis. :)

Happy Samhain all,
    Jess

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey all,

This event is tonight. There are still a few seats on the bus, 15 euro return. If you can make it last minute get yer ass to Parnell Street, opposite Fibbers and there'll be a silver bus leaving at 6.30pm tonight.

Samhain Shona!
    Jessica

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

excuse my ignorance but what actually happens at a druids cermony? I'm curious about learning about different pagan paths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

There are a few different threads and stickys about that topic... :)

The Festival of Death and Rebirth - Samhain as we celebrated it last night...

The Path of the Celtic Druid today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

snorlax wrote:
    excuse my ignorance but what actually happens at a druids cermony? I'm curious about learning about different pagan paths.

Excuse MY ignorance, but if Johnny Ahmed had presented himself before the High Kings with a story of Allah and Shamrocks, would you people be so fast to rush down to Tara for Samhain?

Of course you wouldn't. You'd watch your step.

As far as I am concerned, Tara is Holy Ground. It is the site of one of the earliest revelations of Christian faith to man in the history of Christianity. What happened at Tara that night was a seminal moment not just in the History of Ireland, but in the History of The World.

As Europe rotted thru the dark and early-middle ages...Christianity pushed Ireland forward into an era of enlightenment. Christianity gave Boru the edge in Cluain Tarbh {Clontarf} in 1014. Christianity helped us, down the ages, throw off the yoke of foreign oppression. Not some false fairy god...But GOD ALMIGHTY

That Pagans should run roughshod, or that developers should plot, at a place where Christ was revealed to the Kings, is sacrilege of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tara was a site of pagan significance long before christianity came to Ireland,
    this for many people has not changed and it is sacred to more then just chiristians.

IT Lower I suggest you read the charter of this forum or else you will end up being banned, if you can not be respectful of the the bliefs of those who post here then don't post or the abilty to do so will be removed from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Matthew Hopkins

Hey Mister Loser,
    My personal view is that christianity plunged ireland into a much darker age than we had during the first millennium, its legacy of oppression while not overtly physical can be seen everywhere in our society, industrial school sexual abuse, magdalene laundrys, bishops getting women pregnant and legging it with parish funds, Ferns, Goldenbridge, Dangan industrial school and the children who went "missing" during the night, coverups, sadistic child beating christian brothers, guilt about sexuality spread like a disease through an entire nation, and bigotry as evidenced in that post. Yes, christianity has been wonderful for Ireland.I pray that your god as well as all of mine will open your eyes and ears to the rights of people different to yourself. oh, and have a good look at the popular depiction of your saviour (you know the one? that tall blonde arean looking dude with the blue eyes) before you start slagging off fairy tale gods.

Lads this is a completely different thread for a completely differnt topic. If you wanna discuss and debate take it elsewhere and do it with a bit of respect.

My God is better than your God discussions are entirely wasteful and useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Hey Mister Loser,
    My personal view is that christianity plunged ireland into a much darker age than we had during the first millennium, its legacy of oppression while not overtly physical can be seen everywhere in our society, industrial school sexual abuse, magdalene laundrys, bishops getting women pregnant and legging it with parish funds, Ferns, Goldenbridge, Dangan industrial school and the children who went "missing" during the night, coverups, sadistic child beating christian brothers, guilt about sexuality spread like a disease through an entire nation, and bigotry as evidenced in that post. Yes, christianity has been wonderful for Ireland.I pray that your god as well as all of mine will open your eyes and ears to the rights of people different to yourself. oh, and have a good look at the popular depiction of your saviour (you know the one? that tall blonde arean looking dude with the blue eyes) before you start slagging off fairy tale gods.

I was talking about Christ. You are talking about the Church.

Just as Paganism came before Christ..Christ came before the Church.

It Loser ifyou want a discussion about Christ then you are in the worng forum.
    Agurmentative and beligernt posting will not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

He's just trolling the Religion / Spirituality forums. He won't be doing that any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Actually I think IT Loser made some valid and interesting points even if his tone was rude and despite the fact that I most certainly don't agree with him about a pagan presence in Tara being sacreligious.

Just because people have contentious views should they be barred? People make comments on the validity or virtues on all religions all the time in every day life, they may well be incorrect or based on ignorance but people should still have the freedom to speak their mind!

www.electricpublications.com

I think the most important thing here is this thread is titled "Samhain Trip to Tara" not "Discussion on the religious importance and relavence to each faith to Tara".

If there is to be a discussion on it [debate, arguement, whatever] do it in the right place with the right backing to your discussions!

Itloser is a troll na dhad been adopting the same tone and stance in the athiest agnostic forum and breaking the charters in not respecting people and is in fact catbanned.

Other views and opinions are welcome but not by those posting purely to have a go at the forum or posters or in this case a mod.

This idiot had a run in with me in another forum and poster there to get me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

jappers you would be afraid to ask any sort of questions about paganism if whenever you post you got such an aggressive response.

forgot to say thanks for the links Jes :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No, you just need to stamp on muppets repeatedly with an iron boot. This whole site is suffering because of arseholes like him - you've mods handing in their notice all over the place because of the stress a tard like him causes when he gets the treatment he deserves and is it any wonder? He was a troll - how else can you describe someone who deliberitely starts talking about Christ (who has no relevance on a forum called "Paganism" and in direct violation of the rules) at Tara (that he seems to think has more relevance to his faith because he says so?) and ultimately was only trying to have a go at Thaed. As Tallie said, he's been trolling all over the Spirituality boards and a ban was more than warranted. For anyone actually seeking information, there's plenty of it and plenty of helpful posters here.

Dunno how I missed that post til now Kharn, but Well Said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FiachAgFannacht

Hmm I dont suppose anybody knows if anything has been organised this year eh?:D

Samhain this year feel on the 19th, we go by the solar alignment not the calander dates :) There's an article on it here: http://www.druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/3138458

If you want to be kept up to date you can sign up to the newsletter and then the dates are given in advance.

Theres a full moon soon, from the news letter, if you're just looking to attend/meet up:
    The next "Ritual of Protection" for and on Tara will be on the Full Moon on Moonday 2nd of Nov 09, 20 days before the Sun has entered Sagittarius. We will start our Full Moon Ceremony by 8ish and finish by ten (approx.) Dress in layers and meet on the gravel patch beside the Rath of the Synods at 8pm. We will use our native Celtic Irish language during this ceremony with explanations in English. All are welcome to attend this free and open ritual ceremony on and for Tara. Bring a stone for the Ancestor Memorial Cairn at Collierstown to this ceremony, you may place it in the centre of our circle and it will get added to the Ancestor Memorial Cairn.

I hope to be there but as always, it depends if theres a lift home from Tara to Dublin! PM/post here if you would like more info.

*Random longshot*
    anyone from Dublin planning on driving to Tara and back tomorrow, and wanna give me a lift? I'm really lovely... lol.
    I really need to learn to drive :(

Advertisement