Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel tallageda nights movie had suttle homophobia in it?

Options
  • 08-10-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

After seeing that movie, im a bit annoyed. I didnt think the gay jokes/refrences were funny. And it goes beyond the joke line....:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ehh, not really.

I took it at face value. The gay French driver was just a pisstake imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Its just a movie

If ye dont like it , dont watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its seems a bit like a vegetarian going to a steakhouse and complaining there's meat on the menu.
    Its the nature of such movies to be offensive, as abetarrush said if you're that sensitive to the possibility of getting insulted then don't place yourself in the situation by going.
    By doing so you’ll have accomplished two things a) avoided feeling insulted and more importantly b) denied them your revenue.

I thought the whole thing was a pisstake of what the americans thought of the french after they refused to get involved in Iraq.ie they were acting like a bunch of Pansies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

One word leaps to the mind: oversensitivity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

BuffyBot wrote:
    One word leaps to the mind: oversensitivity

Im not oversensitive, i dont mind the jokes, but i hust felt the whole thing with the snog at the end bewtween french and texas guy was a bit OTT for my liking, having said thats just my opinion, some people may disagree but we have to ask ourselves at some point where do you draw the boundry?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't think it was homophobia...I'd say it was more like Franco-phobia.
    Keep in mind the stereotype that all French are sissies, and gay men too.
    So, really, I'd say they were ripping the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The movie was a satire on red-neck hicks, a notorious anti-homosexual inbred bunch. Of course there is going to be homophobia in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So, really, I'd say they were ripping the French.

Won't somebody please think of the French?

Oh wait, I'm sure the OP will if he goes to the French forum..

abetarrush wrote:
    Its just a movie

If ye dont like it , dont watch it

Well that's not really helpful.
    How the hell would one know if they like it or not untill they watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

How the hell would one know if they like it or not untill they watch it?

well if you have an undying hatred and fear of sharks you'll hardly go renting jaws at the weekend will ya?!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

I didnt feel it was homophobic. As Sangre said, they were simply parodying stereotypical American rednecks, who - according to the stereotype - would generally be homophobic. The same occured in the film Anchorman, where the male cast were incredibly sexist; directly parodying male culture in the 70's.

The fact that Will Ferrells character chose to genuinely kiss the French driver at the end of Talladaga Nights, made me think that the film was actually quite forward thinking.

Shellie13 wrote:
    well if you have an undying hatred and fear of sharks you'll hardly go renting jaws at the weekend will ya?!
    But Talladega Nights ads didn't put huge emphasis on the gay character.

As for your shark analogy, I think it needs some work!;)

Advertisement