Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Calling All Experts (Please)

• 08-10-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

sorry for annoying ye but i really need help , i want 2 buy this digital camcorder but i'm not sure is it any good and want 2 know if its worth buyin

here is the spec::
    c.o.20061012.p.DigitalVideoCamera

Digital Video Camera
    This ultra slim 8 Megapixel camera offers a wealth of features: video camera, photo camera, webcom, MP3 player, movie player, voice rec.,
    Resolution: 8 Megapixel ( interpol ), 5.0 Megapixel ( effective )
    Zoom: 8 x digital
    Picture Size:
    Photo Max. 3264x2448
    Video. 640x480
    Picture Compression: JPEG
    Video Compression: MPEG4
    Battery:
    Rechargeable Li'-lin 3.7V
    €159.49 + €0.50 Producer Recycling Fund
    Price per item

I would be mainly using it for indoor/outdoor concerts and then puuting 2 laptop and then onto dvd.Would it record well taking into account the lights and everything else at a show But I don't want a crap picture qualitiy of video on my telly then .

So the BIG Question is ,,, is this a good digital video camera??

Really thankful for help:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

This is primarily a still camera with video recording capabilities , the videos it will record are basic 640 x 480 and are not even basic PAL TV standard , ( you need at least 576 lines for that ) they will do as a sort of youtube sized video thing on your computer but if you want to make half decent amateur vids of concerts this is no good.
    The size of the media in the camera will only allow for 15 minute bursts on a 1 gig card anyway , that would mean you would have to buy four 1 gig cards for an hour of video and have to change multiple times in a gig ,
    Useless and expensive !!

Best to look at a proper camcorder for that .
    The cheapest one here is about 250 or so , these work on MiniDV tape , giving you about an hour of continous recording , tapes are about 5 euro .
    Some of em are nearly as small as that camera you specced.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10754

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

OP, that sounds like that camera LIDL are selling.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20061012.p.DigitalVideoCamera

It's really as Andy has pointed out. It's quality is more for email and youtube, Google video etc. Quite like a replacement for the video your phone would take.

A proper video camera is one that uses DV tapes etc and are marketed as video cameras. With exception to the JVC HDD ones on the market.
    These are more suited as they offer what is normally available on a 'Camcorder' and is a proper PAL spec.
    Most if not all DV cameras have a DV output (firewire) to connect them to a PC/laptop to edit video.

Basically what you spec'd above is more like an all in one camera that looks like a video cam and has the handy function of a video cam thrown in to make it more appealing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

good advice from andy..that stuff will be fine for watching on small size displays..it won't be very good for showing on a tv..it will heavily compress the video to get it to fit, and even then the data it compresses won't be great. this is meant for small clips..clips to be emailed around, that kind of thing

Advertisement