Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No discussion of certain topics

Options
  • 08-10-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why we cant talk about certain events/promoters and more recently car companies. I thought the internet was the last bastion of free speech. Fair enough if these places are getting pissed with boards.ie, but surely it's no more than a group of individuals opinions' about how hopeless the Irish consumer is generally treated?
    Please delete/lock/put me in front of the firing squad if I've done something wrong.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This is a privately owned website, so you don't get free speech. Fortunately, there isn't actually a Firing squad exactly, but we are saving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Silverfish wrote:
    This is a privately owned website, so you don't get free speech. Fortunately, there isn't actually a Firing squad exactly, but we are saving up.

I still don't understand why I can't say what I want! Legally speaking, does what I post become the property of and by extension the opinion of boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Boards is a private owned website, so what other people post on here, the admins will have to answer for it (if it be illegal or otherwise) and not the users/poster. So there is no free speech on boards.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

zuutroy wrote:
    I still don't understand why I can't say what I want! Legally speaking, does what I post become the property of and by extension the opinion of boards.ie?

Well, can I walk into your house and use your stuff and do what I want, with no complaint from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ok, got it now. I was under the impression that you could have whatever ya want on the internet. It's just a bit annoying when a 'campaign' for want of a better word, gathers a head of steam and we seem to be achieving something then it's closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Free speech pretty much means you're free to cricicise the government, nothing to do with being able to say what you want when you want.

Back on topic, the issue with concert/event promoters is kind of complicated and at the moment boards.ie is in the middle of legal action (in untested waters afaik). The ban on discussion is on the advice of boards.ie's solicitors. The line between libel and fair comment is a grey and narrow one, and the decision to ban certain forms of comment wasn't taken lightly at all at all.

Hopefully when the legal action is over, where to draw the line will be clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

There's a few different issues here.

1. Can boards.ie itself say what it wants - no boards.ie is subject to the rules of libel, slander, obscenity etc.

2. Can you say what you want - no, indeed to more free speech boards.ie has the more its owners and their volunteer agents (i.e. mods) are at liberty to prevent you from saying something - you're attempting to make use of their tool to say something they don't want said would be an attack upon their freedom of speech.

3. "I was under the impression that you could have whatever ya want on the internet" Lovely moment of nostalgia there, I remember when lots of people thought that. Taken to its obvious conclusion though this implies that you would be okay with me waging a campaign of lies, slander and harrassment against you. I'm betting you probably wouldn't like that.

Besides saying if you can do whatever you want on the Internet, then so can those people enforcing the rules this site has.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

zuutroy wrote:
    Just to clear this up for you: (a) no, what you post remains your intellectual property; (b) however, there is a question standing as to whether boards is liable for it. You could argue either way, but I'd say that on the balance of probabilities, boards isn't liable. That said, you as the user are liable.

In effect, if a mod or admin says, "don't say that/don't talk about that/&c", they're protecting you from your own liability.

(c) In terms of "opinion", there is no such defence that allows you to defame someone, and then walk into court and say "Yeah but no but yeah but it was just my opinion that he embezzled €50,000".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Silverfish wrote:
    Well, can I walk into your house and use your stuff and do what I want, with no complaint from you?

you can if you are invited in to use my stuff...
    just like we are invited to "have our say"

Boards Now Were Talking........ as long as you don't talk about anything of relevance.
    biggest farce ever,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"Yeah but no but yeah but it was just my opinion that he embezzled €50,000".
    Look, the money was just resting in my account, ok?
    Boards Now Were Talking........ as long as you don't talk about anything of relevance.
    biggest farce ever,
    Obviously you find it relevant and of interest if you continue to post here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Consider this the internet equivilant of "please don't touch that".

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Boards Now Were Talking........ well not really
    biggest farce ever,
    Really? Bigger than Electronic Voting? Or how about censorship in Communist Russia? Or censorship in modern China?

Maybe you should have a look at the rest of the thread for a second, and then come back with something more reasonable than, "you're limiting ever so slightly the free speech that I'm not even entitled to under any legal standard in the world! How DARE YOU!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

biggest farce ever,

If you want to talk about whatever you like, we'd like to be able to get your signature on a document that says you'll pay all of the legal bills. Okay?

If you want to talk about whatever you like, we'd like to be able to get your signature on a document that says you'll pay all of the legal bills. Okay?

Okay, that would be no problem.
    send on what ever documentation i need to sign....see i have a pair of balls.

Really? Bigger than Electronic Voting? Or how about censorship in Communist Russia? Or censorship in modern China?

jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuusssssssssss....

talk about trying to big yourself up...

boards.ie = censorship in Communist Russia Or censorship in modern China.

hehehe... your funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why? Who are you implying doesn't?

Why? Who are you implying doesn't?

i can say here due to legal proceedings...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pffft. Piss off back under your bridge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We're supposed to run the risk of breaking the law so that we can live up to the standards of his testicles. This is either a poor troll, in which case it has been done before, or it's just extremely ignorant. In either case ...

DEN DEN DEN!!!

No discussions about particular instances allowed.

jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuusssssssssss....

talk about trying to big yourself up...

boards.ie = censorship in Communist Russia Or censorship in modern China.

hehehe... your funny
    I think part of my brain just exploded.

You do realise that it was you who said "biggest farce ever", right? Did you make the connection between what I quoted you as having said on the one hand, and then what I said in response on the other?

Here, I'll explain it again. You said that we aren't allowed say what we want and then called it the "biggest farce ever". Then, I said that there were a number of examples of incidents that I would rank as being more farcical than boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...and no idea of legal costs. When's the last time you hired a decent solicitor for anything more than exchanging a property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

How would one go about getting the law reviewed on what you can print about some company/person... etc? I assume it would rely on contacting some TD who would be all smiles and helpful until the election passed?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

You'd probably get a better discussion of that on the Legal Discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

. your funny

you're funny.

and going by this....

but what if i broke your stuff? or i started a drugs operation in your front living room on that basis that you said 'use my stuff' would that be within the edict of your allowance?

so when the police break down your front door for haivng a drug manufacturing operation in your font room, your defence would be 'but officer, all i said was 'use my stuff' im sure the magistrate would let you off with 15-20 years.

if youre going to try and use some sort of spastic pedantry as your rebuttle to a straight forward answer, then at least try and make it logical.

. Boards Now Were Talking........ as long as you don't talk about anything of relevance.
    biggest farce ever,

oh, and yes, you dont like it, you also continually complain. why not start your own forum and say what you want on it?

seriously, i really fail to understand why people just complain and still stick around.

why not just get your books and your bag and fúck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There really needs to be a "Wheres my free speech on the interwebnet!" gathering card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oh, and yes, you dont like it, you also continually complain. why not start your own forum and say what you want on it?

Wasn't that done already ... and abused mightily :D

What's this bit the OP mentioned about a car manufacturer anyway?

[edit]nvm - I see the sticky :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Is there a locked thread or anything anywhere that explains what went on with certain parties? Just factual I mean.
    I understand there can be no discussion, but is there an outline of what exactly happened?
    If not then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes.
    Doesn't anyone:
    a) Read the stickies?
    b) Google the names / initials etc to understand what it is talking about?

I hadn't a clue. I knew no-one. I wasn't there. I don't read newspapers (often). But 2 mins and Google after reading the stickies I know nearly as much as anyone. Of course some of it isn't true. I wasn't there, I havn't got money for good lawyers, so I won't discuss what I read here, nor offer any opinon on who is right or what is true.

I didn't say anything about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No freedom is absolute. All freedoms of the individual must give way to the rights of others.

But we should not give up any freedom to the whims of the dictator, not when it impinges our rights, but when it impinges the rights of others. It is too late to wait for it to affect yourself. Also you are not objective about your own rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i hope those balls bring in a 6 figure income to pay for the legal bills

are you ron jeremy?

Advertisement