Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employee theft

Options
  • 08-10-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

An employee spotted another employee thieving. However, she wasnt caught leaving the building with company property in her possession. If shes confronted, and she denies it, then its one persons word against another.

How would this stack up legally if disciplinary action was taken against her?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is there any stock control system to help the case ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Is there any stock control system to help the case ??
    Not really. Its not a retail situation.

a hard one , have you tried small firms or isme hotlines ?

whats it worth ?

could they remove item from building for any reason at all ??

a hard one , have you tried small firms or isme hotlines ?
    Didnt think of that. Got hold of someone at sfa and they seemed to think that just one witness wasnt enough - although I didnt get the impression that who I was speaking to was all that knowledgeable on the subject.
    whats it worth ?
    No more than €50- and I cant see what use it would have been to her!
    could they remove item from building for any reason at all ??
    No - she would have to come up with a fairytale.

Also, I wonder is there a time limit in terms of how long I can leave it until I still have a right to challenge the individual as incident happened last week?

Ask sfa about difference between asking all your employees /investigating the disappearance and actually accusing her. If she knows you are looking for it it may deter her in future.

If she is an ignorant klepto she will deny everything anyway , scumbags are alwyas the best liars. How long have you had her ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just ask her and see what she says as its really not worth the hassle for a product less than 50 euro

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If she is an ignorant klepto she will deny everything anyway , scumbags are alwyas the best liars. How long have you had her ???
    Four years.

drdre wrote:
    just ask her and see what she says as its really not worth the hassle for a product less than 50 euro
    I'd rather her not know that i'm on to her. If I going to accuse her, I want to make sure its a straightforward case with no comeback.

Got a legal opinion this afternoon. Looks like I wouldnt have a case unless she admitted to it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Does she know the other employee saw her?

xha1r wrote:
    Does she know the other employee saw her?
    We're not sure. Does it matter either way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

If he did... You could wire him up and get him to talk to her... Somewhere along the lines of "you shouldn't of done that" and then she might say "yeah, well there's nothing anyone can do...".

I'm part serious by the way, offer the guy a reward or something for doing it.

EDIT: Don't know how legal that is. Oh, and it may seem a step too far, but if I was in your position (although I don't really know the enormity of the situation, or how important the girl is to your company), I'd do it; it's the principal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

give her with the abu ghraib special, that'll get the confession :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

based on what info we have, this is v tricky as with a week gone by, u really have no grounds. If u and the "good" employee had documented and dated ur conversation there and then and then get it witnessed by someone else then u might have something, but only if that was company policy to document in that way. Doing it now just wont stand up

I would leave this one and see about using rfid or gps or similair tech to trace an item which you leave in temptations way.

U also need to check with your lawyer if u can actually stop and search people leaving the premises unless it is in their contracts and posted visibly on the premises.

Proceed with caution

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd have a word with the employee and say that they were captured on a seurity video camera going out with the item and ask when are they bringing it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Issue a note email bulletin out to all staff members that 'taking of x is theft and is monitored and will result in termination' etc etc etc

Include enough info to make sure she knows your in her case and little enough to be accused of anying.

Monitor the situation.

Asking, enquiring, investigating the employe will be taken as accusing so unless you have strong evidence avoide it.

Advertisement