Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2142 - thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

if youd ever played 1942 youd know exactly what he was talking about

So, keep making it? 1942 - Pt 1 and Pt 2?

Surely THAT would be cashing in, moreso than creating a futuristic setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It wouldn't really bother me if they stopped making BF games, because in fairness they've killed it enough with bf2. Well for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

Silverfish wrote:
    So, keep making it? 1942 - Pt 1 and Pt 2?

Surely THAT would be cashing in, moreso than creating a futuristic setting?
    hurriedly rushing out an ill concieved sequel to a game barely a year old in order to capitalise on the popularity of bf2 = cash in. cha-ching.

taking TIME (i.e longer than 12 months) to create a brand new, STABLE engine, building a new game from the ground up based on BF1942, would be more well recieved and seen as less of a cynical cash in by fans, i guarantee it.
    But BF's popularity peaked with bf2, so why bother changing a winning formula and actually having to work on making a new game when you can just rebrand the same old sh!te EA so willingly shovel and know it will be lapped up by casual gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭up'Chuck

you know when i first played the demo i tought it was sh1t and a waste of game manufacturing time, they could have been makin somethin descent, the next day i wanted to have a nice big bf2 session to make me feel better but i have a problem with my bf2 and didn't know what to do so i decided after a lot of tought to play 2142, i had no choice.....but......I LOVE IT!!!!its amazing

i only have a few problems, the i unload a whole mag and he kills me with one shot, the weak weapons... the rockets are so weak against all vheices...

then theres two other things that are annoyin, playin that same map over and over and the lack of shock paddles.

yes this game is set in the future but its perfectly done, it's not all lasers and **** but i may be takin that statement back after i see what its like playin against the cloakin device, UNDERSTAND THIS i hated the fact that it was gonna be set in the future, i hate halo and i was so excited when i found out about bf2(modern combat fights), but i played the demo and i forgave it for being set in the future :D ,

give it a nice big chance and look for a good server and it will be better, also stop enterin the game being negative and lookin for problems just play, well thats my 2 cents, im off for another game of titan mode 64 player :eek:

taking TIME (i.e longer than 12 months) to create a brand new, STABLE engine, building a new game from the ground up based on BF1942, would be more well recieved and seen as less of a cynical cash in by fans, i guarantee it.

So, building a new game from the ground up based on 1942? What would they call it..... BF1942? I think the trouble is many people liked BF1942 and just want 1942 again.... and again.... and again.

EA are not forcing anyone to buy their games, so if they're cashing in then its the fault of the buyer. Don't like it? Boycott it, don't buy it then complain that you paid for it and they made money.

But BF's popularity peaked with bf2, so why bother changing a winning formula and actually having to work on making a new game when you can just rebrand the same old sh!te EA so willingly shovel and know it will be lapped up by casual gamers

Its popularity DID rise with BF2 - so do you think they could be on to something?

I wouldn't say 'peak' as you don't know how popular 2142, and any subsequent games they may release, might be.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote:
    Its popularity DID rise with BF2 - so do you think they could be on to something?

I wouldn't say 'peak' as you don't know how popular 2142, and any subsequent games they may release, might be.

Oh yeah, theyre on to something alright, dumb the concept down, make it appeal to children who think leetspeak is like sooo cool, and watch the bucks roll in.
    Given the general reaction to the demo, yes id say we can pretty much rest assured they 2142 will be generally despised by anyone whos played the bf series (42/Nam and mods DC/FH etc), so yes, the bf series will have peaked with BF2 and can only go downhill from there if 2142 is anything to go by.
    And im not buying 2142. Not boycotting it, but im just not forking out 50 quid for a sh!t mod. And anyone who is suckered into it deserves every CTD they get
    silverfish wrote:
    So, building a new game from the ground up based on 1942? What would they call it..... BF1942? I think the trouble is many people liked BF1942 and just want 1942 again.... and again.... and again.
    Ummm BF 3?
    im gonna go on record as saying 2142 is strictly for pub newbies and bf2 fanboys who think bf2 is the be all and end all cause 'OMG I GOT TEH UNLOCK!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

i havnt pld it and i not really bothered to either bf2 was great before they wrecked it with all the updates, theres very few games as immersive as it thats what i like about the series, hopefully theres more games coming out that are similiar rather than the small level cs clones... i'd get quake wars over 2142 cause im pissed off with Dice..

I'd say its probably really processor heavy is it? Bf2 gave me so much lag it is unplayable sometimes so i'd say 2142 is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Dreamcrusher, you need to calm down.

Silverfish is completely right in what she says, and even though I don't like the whole idea of 2142 and I don't think I'll buy it (although I might change my mind).

How could EA possibly go back and do 1942 again?
    Wouldn't that be a blatant cash in?
    Rehash a game thats already been done?

Get over it man, they brought it forward after 1942 with BFV and then with BF2.
    It was only a matter of time before they went "into the future"....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

i think a few people need to calm down, and for it being despised, i sincerely doubt it, yeh there's gonna be people who have problems with it, same as any game, you can't please everyone, but its still gonna be a sucessful...erm let's call it expansion, and to be honest as far as i can see it improves on bf2 in many ways, i'll be giving it a shot anyways.

Keyzer wrote:
    Dreamcrusher, you need to calm down.

Silverfish is completely right in what she says, and even though I don't like the whole idea of 2142 and I don't think I'll buy it (although I might change my mind).

How could EA possibly go back and do 1942 again?
    Wouldn't that be a blatant cash in?
    Rehash a game thats already been done?

Get over it man, they brought it forward after 1942 with BFV and then with BF2.
    It was only a matter of time before they went "into the future"....

Yeah youre right, its just like how Infinity ward stopped making call of duty after the first one. Or did i dream cod2, and hallucinate the upcoming release of cod3...
    They could easily revisit 1942 or nam, if they couldnt, where could the series possibly go after 2142? 2242? With bigger blue muzzle flashes?
    Anyway it doesnt matter to me, as im not going to be buying anything ea/dice do in the future (unless its a REALLY polished revisit to vietnam), the kiddies can have 2142, and ill stick with QW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

42 was the game that started it all, FPS with vehicles (well i suppose codename eagle was there first but that was DICE afaik).

I know a lot of folk who played 42 > BFV > BF2 and we put up with the changes, might not have liked them all but we liked the battlefield feel and loved the franchise. But tbh, 2142 is a step too far, almost as many vehicles than players> wtf?

And why could they not do a WW2 shooter again, Bf1943, Bf1944, Bf1945... people would flock to it.

hear hear.
    and if this is true, then EA are even more ****ing blatant than even i first assumed. BF2142 in installing spyware on your machine shocker

yeh i have to admit that it's this part of the game that gives me pause for thought, there should at least be an opt out or disable ads feature built into this, but it doesn't seem like there is and i think that its this and not the game or gameplay itself that may turn a lot of people away.

more on the in game ads here:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/review.html?sid=6159893&tag=topslot;action;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot&page=2

Still, there is a printed disclaimer that comes with the game telling you that Battlefield 2142 will analyze certain "advertising data" on your machine to determine what ads to display to you. Ironically, EA says that if you don't want your data shared with its advertising partner then "do not install or play the software on any platform that is used to connect to the Internet.

well done ea :/

Yeah youre right, its just like how Infinity ward stopped making call of duty after the first one. Or did i dream cod2, and hallucinate the upcoming release of cod3...
    They could easily revisit 1942 or nam, if they couldnt, where could the series possibly go after 2142? 2242? With bigger blue muzzle flashes?
    Anyway it doesnt matter to me, as im not going to be buying anything ea/dice do in the future (unless its a REALLY polished revisit to vietnam), the kiddies can have 2142, and ill stick with QW

Thats not a very good comparison.

Each installment of the Battlefield series moved forward in time - 1942 to BFV, BFV to BF2, BF2 to 2142.
    What are they going to do if they go back? BF 1942 2?

Call of Duty never touted itself as Call of Duty:Vietnam or Call of Duty:Modern Combat. It has always been set in WWII.
    You could have COD 9 and it'll still be set in WWII.

So wtf are they supposed to do now? Remember one thing, EA's main objective, actually, any company for that matter, is to make money. Not to keep people happy or give them what they want, although through a quality product and good service most companies achieve this as well.
    If BF2142 makes a fortune for EA, which it will, then they have accomplished their goal. EA are not here to make the game you want them to make, so wake up and smell the coffee.

You had your good times with 1942, possibly BFV and BF2. You don't like the latest installment? Guess what, you don't have to buy it and there are plenty of other games out there to play.

Anyway, all I can say is tough sh1t and get over it.
    EA own the franchise and they can do what they want with it whether you agree with how they progress with the game or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

and ill stick with QW

Oh God no....I don't fancy fighting aliens. Given a choice I'd pick 2142 set in the future fighting against humans.

Keyzer wrote:
    Thats not a very good comparison.

Each installment of the Battlefield series moved forward in time - 1942 to BFV, BFV to BF2, BF2 to 2142.
    What are they going to do if they go back? BF 1942 2?
    umm Battlefield 3? Not that hard to make new maps and gamemodes with a new engine set in WW2
    Enjoy your spyware riddled, bug filled cash in sh!t-fest anyway, let me know how it works out for ya. Ill be right here on the edge of my seat.
    Possibly awaiting the first '2142 is filled with bugs! ea fooled me again!' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

See EA have screwed themselves. BF2 could have been a classic. But EA fecked about with patches, split the community with ranked and non ranked, screwed the mod community by removing promised support, failed to fix common faults in the game, pandered to public players instead of too the clans who actually provide the servers, etc etc.

ETQW will hammer 2142, if you cant see that then I lol. Already the guys behind ETQW are talking about the community, and how they will support it.

Just look at what a majority of people are saying about 2142. I'd say of all the comments I've seen about the game around 5/6 people have had something positive to say.

RIP Battlefield Franchise, not dead, but sure smelling that way.

umm Battlefield 3? Not that hard to make new maps and gamemodes with a new engine set in WW2
    Enjoy your spyware riddled, bug filled cash in sh!t-fest anyway, let me know how it works out for ya. Ill be right here on the edge of my seat.
    Possibly awaiting the first '2142 is filled with bugs! ea fooled me again!' thread.

Whats more marketable to kids? a WWII FPS or a Futuristic FPS with spaceships and sh1t?

Seriously, I'm as disappointed as you are about it going to 2142 and I'm not going to buy it, but at the end of the day its hard luck man.

ETQW is going to wipe the floor with 2142 so take a valium and wait for that to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

hear hear.
    and if this is true, then EA are even more fucking blatant than even i first assumed. BF2142 in installing spyware on your machine shocker

Offs.

Fine. I've been converted. Thats ridiculous. Fuck EA.

Although I have no doubt there's a way for clever people to sabotage the spyware, the question is will the game still run without it?

• Advertisement

to be honest zillah not the point, the point is we should have that ****ing option built into game in the first place

Just For Info :

The only thing that EA will be monitoring is what in-game ads you look at and how long you do so. There will be no scanning of hard-drives nor reading of web cookies.

Seems to me to be a lot of fuss about nothing.

i guess its the fact that slowly but surely games companies are insinuating little bits into games that are nothing but benificial to them and of none to players or the gameplay, without at least giving the person who pays for said game the option of whether or not it gets used, at least that's what's annoying me about it, more so because i actually like what i 've played of it so far and want to try the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

they chuck a note in the game to protect them from legal S***. You expect to be able to trust game companies, not to let them exploit you.

28911463868.jpg

In answer to hairball,see the bottom of the note,you cant play the game without installing the spyware:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭up'Chuck

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/review.html?sid=6159893&tag=topslot;action;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

seems like someone liked the game!!!!:rolleyes:

dreamcrusher, i dont see how 2142 is for kids, i mean i've been in squads in bf2 before havin five year olds from america screamin over the voip for no reason, i think ya have a bit of a chip in your shoulder...

yeh its getting a lot of nice reviews upchuck, and it being ****e was never my concern, it was how they were gonna handle the advertising, and i'm not too impressed by how this is sounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

http://forums.easports.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=132751&tstart=0

and there will be trouble over this Peeps how prepaid for the game still cant play
    Mhhhahahahahhahahaahahahhahahahahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahhahah

O and theres word on the EA fourm of patch 1.01:D

The patch came out today AFAIK. Available on the EAD.

http://img.waffleimages.com/7d3841b0a3350f6a85fb40ccc945c18d6017ecf8/2142.jpg

After you take off the plastic, and open the box. So, you can't return it.

emot-bandwagon.gif

• Advertisement

hairball wrote:
    ... it was how they were gonna handle the advertising, and i'm not too impressed by how this is sounding.

It's nothing new really. Swat 4 had exactly the same thing in-game :

http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

Advertisement