Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License application Q's

Options
  • 09-10-2006 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a cheap rimfire to learn the basics on, coming from shotguns so i might join a club to learn (courtlough?).
    Only had a shotgun licensed under my name for a few months so im sure that wont help too much.
    I dont want to pay club fees for anywhere only to be refused or to wait months.
    Would i get away with applying first and joining the club later?
    Ill be hunting rabbit, would like to get a fox gun at some point but think maybe a .223 or a swift as a first rifle license might be taking the pi55.

Is it even worth applying with just land permissions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

kowloon wrote:
    Is it even worth applying with just land permissions?

Yes. No need for club membership with land permissions (2), especially for a .22lr etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Still a better idea to join the club and learn by being taught by experienced people though, rather than learning by firing off a hundred rounds of ammo at nothing in particular while hoping the rounds don't miss the target and hit something a mile away...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No intention of doing so, i just dont want to join a club until i have something to shoot there, so unless it badly hurts my chances of getting the license im going to put off joining until i have the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Id love to join a rifle club but the four clubs i emailed three weeks ago, one has got back to me:mad: :mad:

try visiting in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

how could i find out what time or days its open?

post the names of the clubs and any members on the boards can let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

kowloon wrote:
    No intention of doing so, i just dont want to join a club until i have something to shoot there, so unless it badly hurts my chances of getting the license im going to put off joining until i have the rifle.
    Thing is, you might go into the club on the first day with your new rifle, get to watch a competition, find you really like the discipline being shot and then discover your brand new rifle can't be used in it. Might be better to go along, see what competitions they shoot and if anything takes your fancy, and then talk to them about buying a rifle. You might even find there's a second-hand model in good nick going for a good price.

good point, might head over there and ask around,
    cheers.

Advertisement