Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software Firewall

• 09-10-2006 7:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just wondering whats the best personal firewall out there today

Sygate
    Zonealarm
    Mcafee
    Norton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

depends on whether you're willing to pay for one or not.

willing to pay:
    IMHO - McAfee, probably the best one for your money

Free firewall:
    Zonealarm personal - okay for most stuff but has been known to cause problems with some software, e.g. STEAM.

also sygate doesn't exist anymore, it was acquired by symantec(norton).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've had software firewalls crash on me, without loosing internet connectivity :(
    in windows 98 you could get about 3 ping replies before the firewall loaded

so I'd say get a free software firewall and invest in wireless/ADSL/router with NAT or better firewall before you spend money on a software one.

building a firewall on an old PC is another option, but make sure it's very low power or the ESB bill over a year would buy you a hardware box to do the same job,

others - antigen (not free anymore)
    coreforce - last time I tried I got blue screens on shutdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You can still get Sygate 5.6 but it aint supported anymore as mentioned.
    Kerio Personal Firewall is quite good also and theres always the Windows Firewall. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

Get Comodo here http://www.comodogroup.com/
    It's free and walks circles around any of the above mentioned.

Stay away from the bloatware (Norton/Symantec/McAfee).
    Personally I prefer to pay for a firewall, I got Agnitum Outpost Pro since 2003, never once any problems. I use AVG free antivirus, and my home network is hiding behind a Billion Bipac 640AE router with built-in hardware firewall.

Advertisement