Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebomb mother flees after gang attacks home

Options
  • 09-10-2006 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

THE distraught mother of two children who were badly-burned when the family car was fire-bombed four weeks ago in Limerick, was early yesterday hounded out of her Moyross home.

A gang of youths attacked the Pinewood Gardens home of Sheila Murray, forcing her to seek refuge in a “safe” house yesterday.

Rocks and a brick were thrown through the front window and a car outside the house was damaged.

Ms Murray has been maintaining a bedside vigil at Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin where her children Millie, aged six, and Gavin, aged four, are recovering from their horrific injuries after the September 10 attack.

The question I would ask MacDowell is how come there were only 16 extra Gardai sent to Moyross in a futile attempt to curb the violence and 190 or thereabouts to Mayo to keep the Shell to Sea protestors from impeding this non-profit (to the Irish People) organisation in getting on with their work!

A Pakastani friend once told me that they are happy in his country when their government does nothing as they won't do anything wrong that way. Maybe the latest Poodle McDoodle flip-flapping means at least that the great man has other priorities than mismanaging his department!

There's little chance that cars will get burned out in Dublin 4...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=15335-qqqx=1.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The individuals that did this are really only subhuman, a bullet would be a waste on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

anyone know why she is being attacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Hobbes wrote:
    anyone know why she is being attacked?

Does it matter? A more pertinent question would be "does anyone know why she, along with other victims in that area, are not being protected from these criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heinrich wrote:
    Does it matter? A more pertinent question would be "does anyone know why she, along with other victims in that area, are not being protected from these criminals?

No it doesn't matter, what they are doing is wrong. However I would like to know more about the issue. Kids don't firebomb peoples houses for no reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It could be intimidation of a witness in a forthcoming court case .

How long has this alleged ' hounding' been going on bearing in mind the fire was 3 weeks back, how many incidents of intimidation were verified ??

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It could be intimidation of a witness in a forthcoming court case .

How long has this alleged ' hounding' been going on bearing in mind the fire was 3 weeks back, how many incidents of intimidation were verified ??

The answer to this would be better coming from the police force. Unfortunately they are seriously undermanned in that area!

Maybe McDoodle could answer these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Heinrich wrote:
    The question I would ask MacDowell is how come there were only 16 extra Gardai sent to Moyross in a futile attempt to curb the violence and 190 or thereabouts to Mayo to keep the Shell to Sea protestors from impeding this non-profit (to the Irish People) organisation in getting on with their work!

IMO,

The latter involves a big and powerful multinational, gas, money etc + is therefore an important law and order issue for the state/the guards.
    Violence involving gougers on a housing estate is not deemed as important by the state/the guards.

Does that help clear things up for you?

fly_agaric wrote:
    IMO,

The latter involves a big and powerful multinational, gas, money etc + is therefore an important law and order issue for the state/the guards.
    Violence involving gougers on a housing estate is not deemed as important by the state/the guards.

Does that help clear things up for you?

No, it does not!

I doubt if those two unfortunate children who were so severely burned were gougers.

Limerick in general has a bad reputation for lawlessness.

Hobbes wrote:
    No it doesn't matter, what they are doing is wrong. However I would like to know more about the issue. Kids don't firebomb peoples houses for no reason.

They didn't "firebomb" her house.
    The set her car on fire a few weeks back. Seemingly the fact that her kids were actually inside it at the time didn't stop them! But I'm sure they had their reasons which are no doubt absolutely fascinating.

Heinrich wrote:
    No, it does not!

I doubt if those two unfortunate children who were so severely burned were gougers.

I don't know obviously, and I'm not saying that they are. The only people we know are "gougers" are those who burned out the car, attacked her house + any others who directed it.
    I was giving what I imagine to be the "state's eye" view of the relative importance of the two issues rather than my own.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote:
    I don't know obviously, and I'm not saying that they are. I was giving what I imagine to be the "state's eye" view of the relative importance of the two issues rather than my own.

I take your point and sadly that seems to be the state's attitude.

Way back in history the state built the Ballymun flats. No shops, pubs clinics etc. were provided in the area. St. Pappin's church was inadequate for the number of residents in the new area. It was simply a way to transhumanise Dublin.

Tallaght was also a terrible blunder. We, the taxpayers, are entitled to proper policing and should have a proper return for the money which our state extracts from our pockets.

Our ministers are more intent in looking after their personal interest as can be evidenced by the recent Bertiegate affair!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

They should send the Army out to police Moyross, it sounds like violence is running at emergency levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was going to post this in the Zero Tollerance thread but I didn't think it would get many responses, so fair play OP for starting the thread.

Moyross seems to have a number of people resident who have no respect for the Laws of this nation and they seem to be able to get away with it a lot of the time because the resources needed to police the area and enforce our laws aren't available.

Some people might say that the Gardai can't send in huge numbers for as long as it takes to sort out the mess as they don't have the resources however they might have said the same about Rossport where we have seen large numbers of Gardai manhandling protestors so work can be carried out by a private company.

Justice??? How can we expect Justice when McDowell is too busy playing silly beggar with Bertie.

Rossport and Moyross show us that the economics of a multinational company are more important than the safety of Irish Citizens in their own home. This state is a sad sad place at times, problem is most people are too busy trying to pay mortgages and bills to stop and take notice.

Or maybe I'm just blabbering on and you think I'm talking bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Heinrich wrote:
    No, it does not!

Limerick in general has a bad reputation for lawlessness.

Limerick has one of the highest Garda detection rates in the country. The problem is with the courts, the judges are soft touches who hand out suspended sentences for serious crimes and concurrent sentences for multiple crimes.

To answer sponge bob. the Murray house had its front door kicked in and windows smashed two years ago. Sheila's car was stolen by joyriders and burned out in a field around July/August of this year. The car the children were in she only had about four weeks.

As to why they attacked her house over the weeekend, It might have something to do with the upcoming trial of two individuals for the attack on the two kids. The Limerick Leader reported today their uncle saying that the men who attacked the house tried to break into it. he also said that they were wearing balaclavas also, therefore it is safe to assume that it was not just some random drunken violence on the house. They were targetted specifically.
    They should send the Army out to police Moyross, it sounds like violence is running at emergency levels.

You could put the entire army into moyross and it wouldn't make a bit of difference because the judges both district and circuit court just let them back out after they are arrested.

You could put the entire army into moyross and it wouldn't make a bit of difference because the judges both district and circuit court just let them back out after they are arrested.

So that's it then? Carry on as before!

What in the name of God is the Minister for Justice doing about this sort of situation? If the judges are not doing the job properly then there must be a mechanism in place to ensure that the do or they must go.

Sadly, law and order is becoming a thing of the past and Minister McPoodle is simpoly burying any that's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Obviously people are frustrated. An obvious fact is that using the 80/20 principle, 80% of the crime in this country is probably committed by 20% of people brought before a judge. Is there a case for repeat offenders getting double the sentence each time they re-offend on the assumption that they cause more havoc outside the prison then the cost of keeping them in.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement