Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death of a President

Options
  • 09-10-2006 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Tonight, Monday 9th October 9pm, Channel more 4 (142 Sky Digital) are showing the documentary drama Death Of a president.

It portrays a fictional account of the assasination of President George W Bush and how America would re-act and be effected.

It has been banned by many US Cinemas, and some Americans are Furious that it even portrays the existing President!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Seems like a strange idea for a docu-drama. But I can't imagine anyone would be too upset if GWB was assassinated. Take out Condi, Cheney and Rumsfeld aswell while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I can think of just two words that make me shudder at the thought of President Bush being shot
    "President Cheney"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

daithimac wrote:
    I can think of just two words that make me shudder at the thought of President Bush being shot
    "President Cheney"

True. Assassanating Bush would make little difference. He's only one cog in the machine and would be replaced by someone just as bad. Or worse, which Cheney probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I guess the real answer is based on who actually assinates him. Imagine it was a card carrying white christian Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

daithimac wrote:
    "President Cheney"

And in keeping with current affairs...imagine if Cheney was taken out at the same time.

Then it would be President Hastert.

What a cheerful thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

after reading the review here http://www.crooksandliars.com/

it could be said that such a film is actually lesson, a deterrant to shooting a president.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Is Bush so hated that most people would like to see the man dead? Thats an awful thing to say. The man doesn't even make decisions, all he is, is a stupid little puppet. For that he doesn't deserve death.

I think the documentary is little more than capitalising on small minded "liberals" fantasies. The world would be in a much worse place particularly if the assassin wasn't american. Better the devil you know i say.

In case your wondering i dislike the guy and his government imensely, but violence begets violence and with the world already adjusting to a changing middle east and a nuclear Norh Korea, i think we need more talk and less action.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

He doesn't make decisions?! He is the decider!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wJqvmPfQc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is Bush so hated that most people would like to see the man dead?
    Most people? No.
    Some people? Sure.
    This person. No.
    I think the documentary is little more than capitalising on small minded "liberals" fantasies. The world would be in a much worse place particularly if the assassin wasn't american.
    Thats apparently what the documentary concludes as well.

Personally, I don't really see the point of using a real, as opposed to fictional, president...espcially not the incumbent. I guess it means they don't have to painfully draw parallels with the current administration to sell their case, but I'm generally of the opinion that when you have to go to such extremes to make a point, its probably a lost cause anyway.

Having said that, I'll reserve judgement not having seen the thing n all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hobbes wrote:
    He doesn't make decisions?! He is the decider!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wJqvmPfQc
    I thought his job is to do his job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

bonkey wrote:
    Personally, I don't really see the point of using a real, as opposed to fictional, president...espcially not the incumbent.
    If you can do it with the current guy then why not?

Also : publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Killing the top man is only good for regime change.

If you only want policy change, popping one of number 5-100 will usually get you plenty of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Damn it would be an awful thing if he was assasinated.

He would be martyred, and there would be an even more agressive response than there was after 9/11. Doubtless the assasination would be linked categorically to Iran/North Korea and we'd be watching another invasion and push towards world instabilty.

The policies of his administration would be forcefully carried out by whoever replaced him, in the name of 'our glorious President Bush, murdered by terrorists that hated his freedom'. (as opposed to his policies)

No, no, no. Hell, even if he dies of natural causes there will be conspiracy theories about him being poisoned/gassed/pushed off his bicycle.

I think the best I can hope for is for at least one house to be taken by the Democrats next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I saw this last night, thought it was pretty good.

They did a good job interspersing archive footage with the fictional assassination. The demonstrations looked a little bit toothless compared to what has been seen recently over in the likes of Geneva but did get the point across of how Bush is reviled by half the American population.

Not a bad little twist towards the end - of course the Syrians / Al Queda get the blame initially and one suspect gets stitched up, however, little do they know (or don't want to know) that it would be one of their own who really was to blame..... Ironic how it was George Bush Snr's first Gulf War that lead indirectly to his son's assassination.

I though "President" (:rolleyes: ) Cheney and the US administration were remarkably restrained afterwards - no mention of retaliatory strikes, etc. even though I doubt this restraint would happen in reality.

Very topical too in the way the North Korean's were mentioned during it on the same day they carried out their first nuke test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Victor wrote:
    Killing the top man is only good for regime change.
    Or woman. Sexismist. :mad:

People say that if the lads had got Thatcher in Brighton then the NI situation would have deteriorated further as a tory ultra hardliner might have replaced her. I'm not totally convinced. Bush is no Thatcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how many other people apart from oswald got hassled after kennedy was killed, it must have quite an affect on the country apart from the sotry of JFK and brothers, we rarely hear about that, I guess it was cold war era, but was it still red scare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

daithimac wrote:
    "President Cheney"

Ha ha! That reminds me of a joke that was popular when GWB's daddy was in power and the lame-brain Dan Quayle was VP, to the effect that the five most feared words in the Western Hemisphere were "Barbara, I'm not feeling well."

(For all you kids, Barbara is the name of GW's mammy)

how many other people apart from oswald got hassled after kennedy was killed, it must have quite an affect on the country apart from the sotry of JFK and brothers, we rarely hear about that, I guess it was cold war era, but was it still red scare?
    A few million Vietnamese were hassled for a few years. It is alleged that Kennedy had been planning to cut American involvement in Vietnam. I don't know if this is true, it's a long time since I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

According to Chomsky Kennedy had no plans to cut down on the war in Vietnam, he said the evidence was out there for people to see but I can't substantiate that because I saw it in a video about a year back.

tallus wrote:
    According to Chomsky Kennedy had no plans to cut down on the war in Vietnam, he said the evidence was out there for people to see but I can't substantiate that because I saw it in a video about a year back.
    Kennedy escalated the war significantly but was not keen on sending large scale US troops in. Johnson only did so after the fabricated gulf of tonkin incident. I might be wrong mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or woman. Sexismist. :mad:
    Apologies, I forgot Mrs. Gandhi. Have there been others?
    People say that if the lads had got Thatcher in Brighton then the NI situation would have deteriorated further as a tory ultra hardliner might have replaced her. I'm not totally convinced. Bush is no Thatcher.
    Actually one of the guys who was involved in the bombing said the IRA later realised the bombing was a mistake as if they destroyed the British leadership, they wouldn't have anyone to 'talk' to.

Victor wrote:
    Apologies, I forgot Mrs. Gandhi. Have there been others?
    Dunno, do Joan of Arc and Rosa Luxembourg count?
    Actually one of the guys who was involved in the bombing said the IRA later realised the bombing was a mistake as if they destroyed the British leadership, they wouldn't have anyone to 'talk' to.
    Probably so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I wonder when all us plebs will get to see it on the free (well not free really) CH4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

edanto wrote:

I think the best I can hope for is for at least one house to be taken by the Democrats next month.

It's a sad day when that's the best that can be hoped for.
    In November it's possible that more competant war mongers and corporate whores will take over congress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Is it possible for me to see that programme again? Could I order it?

Advertisement