Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenwriters in Ireland

• 09-10-2006 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just starting of as a writer of screen plays. Finished a first draft on my first one and about to start on a second pretty soon.

I know that most films get made in hollywood and you really need to be in LA or at least stateside to get even a small chance to pitch your stuff over there.

What I need to know is with regards to British and indeed Irish production companies, are there places to submit query letters or scripts to? Info about the US markets seems relatively easy to find, but the UK seems to be a quagmire.

I guess in Ireland the scene is too small and most films being made are written by the director themselves? So there seems to be little scope for someone who wants to work purely as a writer. But the UK market is probably bigger? More films seem to get made there including some quality ones, so anyone know where I can find a list of literary agents, production companies etc. that accept unsolicited queries? I just need a starting point.

I'm probably going to buy the latest writer's handbook and while it seems to offer pleanty of options for the aspiring novelist there doesn't seem to be much for screenwriters.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

p.s. If you happen to be a director looking for a writer then give me a PM. I suck at comedy/romcom and horror. Simply because I'm not great at writing a 90 minute film that is funny throughout though I can write funny scenes etc. Drama, thrillers etc would be my main interest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RBY5

How 's it going.
    I'm an 'amatuer' director who's currently trying to source a short script to direct, in order to build my portfolio.
    I'm ideally looking for something dark/thrilling to sink my teeth into. I have a few basic structures and ideas laid out, but need the help of a writer to beef out the story.
    I'm talking very low budget, but through a network of friends (production-music make-up etc) and solid acting preformances, I'm hoping to end with a good entertaining short to shop to short film festivals around europe.
    If you are interested in getting some work out there, I'd be glad to take a look at anything you can come up with.
    Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

www.script.ie is the Irish Screen Writers website. But it looks like it hasn't been updated.

There are a number of production companies in Ireland and the UK. You can get a full list of them on iftn.ie

This is a list of upcoming awards and submission dates. There are several awards and bursarys and grants for script writers. Miramix ran one in conjuction with the IFI.

I'd recommend getting in contact with the Irish Scriptwriting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

thanks a million for all the info diogenes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Don't just limit yourself to films. Look at writing for TV also.

It's **** but writing for Fair City has been a staple of many talented writers. You got to pay the bills after all.

Also the Film Board give out development money for features to script writers. You'd have to have a full draft as opposed to a treatment if you're an unknown but I think they award about 10,000 at a go for development of a feature film script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Money isn't an issue I have a full time job that pays well and i've got a decent amount saved up now. I'm going to stop working in January though for a year or two to concentrate on my writing.

Don't really have time for TV scripts just yet though I suppose I could research the scene a bit more. I plan on writing more than just features though, also want to write a few books :)

So i've got a lot of material I need to put out but not enough time to do it, yet anyway.

The 10k for development, how does that work? Do you have to find producers, directors, actors etc.? How long does it need to be at a minimum to qualify?

Thanks again for the info and sorry for the newb questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Here's the Filmboard page about the funding. I think most of them are repayable on first day of principal photography, although I think if the film doesn't go that far then the loan doesn't need to be repaid.

Also, don't be afraid to ring the filmboard to ask questions.

http://www.filmboard.ie/guidelines.php?type=g&id=1

I envy you, having enough savings to take a year out to concentrate on your writing is a great position to be in. Just make sure you don't see it as a holiday. Be at your desk everyday by 9 or 10 and write - even if it's **** - write as much as you can every day. And read too. Read screenplays, novels, everything. Check out Story by Robert McKee too - I find it a handy book to have around, especially when dealing with structure. He's not as dogmatic as many people believe him to be at all.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Jenniferhough

Hi there,

Just wondering if you are still looking for a screenplay? I have just completed a screenwriting course (Oxford UK) and want to get stuck into something.
    What were you're ideas? How long of a script you looking for?

Let me know

Jennifer
    RBY5 wrote:
    How 's it going.
    I'm an 'amatuer' director who's currently trying to source a short script to direct, in order to build my portfolio.
    I'm ideally looking for something dark/thrilling to sink my teeth into. I have a few basic structures and ideas laid out, but need the help of a writer to beef out the story.
    I'm talking very low budget, but through a network of friends (production-music make-up etc) and solid acting preformances, I'm hoping to end with a good entertaining short to shop to short film festivals around europe.
    If you are interested in getting some work out there, I'd be glad to take a look at anything you can come up with.
    Cheers...

Advertisement