Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating running costs

• 09-10-2006 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi
    New to this message board game, so bear with me if i have duplicated a thread.

Im currently in the (torturous) ealry stages of building a new home in Donegal. I had decided to go with underfloor heating for it, however my father in law who is also building a new house has changed his mind on ufh for his own, saying that he heard that its very heavy on the old electric.

Indeed esb up'ed his line from 6kw to 16kw on the back of needing more power for ufh. he's since changed to traditional rads etc.

Does anyone know if ufh makes a significant impact on esb bills?
    What are the usual running costs compared to say oil?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

sorry short reply, how do you plan toi run ufh, electricity alone, or with geo heat pump or oil?
    it all depends on how you plan to run it as far as i know.
    best of luck.
    tobi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

if using geothermal I've posted a lot about the runnings costs on this site and on askaboutmoney.com. Do a search, heres the link to the current discussion on askaboutmoeny.com
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=34579

Qwerty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

IMO ufh is not a good idea in any domestic situation and especially if using elec AFAIK u use the night rate to heat them so u really cant decide before u go to bed if u will need heat in the morning..
    this form of heating will be out of favour once the the EPBD directive comes in as there is a severe imbalance between when the heat is being created and delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 silverb

thanks guys, i had planned to run it on oil as had my father in law, i just wondered how ufh would be any more expensive on the esb as opposed to regular rads? surely the pump does the same work?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dawalster

hi im new to boards so forgive me if im repeating what other people have stated. ufh heating using aerothermal heat pump, esb bills coming in at €600 every 2 months. is this normal???
    the house was built in 2007, timber frame, single story and 1900sq feet.
    and only 2 people living in it.
    any advice of information greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I'm not an expert but I am putting in UFH at the moment with an air to water heat pump.

AFAIK the biggest issues affecting electric costs with UFH are:

1. The characteristics of the heat pump itself
    2. Settings
    3. House insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Get independant advise from an energy advisor. In writing and signed, guaranteed by a professional indemnity insurance.
    The electricity bill depends on the consumption. On nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

dawalster wrote: »
    hi im new to boards so forgive me if im repeating what other people have stated. ufh heating using aerothermal heat pump, esb bills coming in at €600 every 2 months. is this normal???
    the house was built in 2007, timber frame, single story and 1900sq feet.
    and only 2 people living in it.
    any advice of information greatly appreciated

My brother has a 4 bed bungalow with ufh
    He used last winter 250 euro a month oil to heat the house
    Heating is on day and night Boiler therm is set on 38degrees has nothing else working on boiler

Advertisement