Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access some websites with Sky

Options
  • 09-10-2006 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I've recently got sky broadband and cannot access some websites. They are all hosted by the same company, but I've spoken to them and they're saying it's not a problem with their end. Sky are saying that they have a problem where some users cannot access secure sites, but these aren't secure sites! After persuading them that they weren't secure sites, they said that different users are having problems connecting to different sites, although it is random as to which sites they cannot access.
    This sounds a bit dubious to me, does it to anyone else?
    I've done a trace on the site and there is a problem between:

102 ms 105 ms 102 ms l3-atl-7.gnax.net [209.51.131.62]
    102 ms 102 ms 102 ms asteriod.dnsprotect.com [207.210.72.154]

207 being the host. Does this suggest the problem lies with the hosts?

Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Sorry I cant help in fact im asking you a question do you mind me asking where you are I didnt think sky broadband was in Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi makzan, I assume you most be in the UK or up in the North as Sky Broadband isn't available in the Republic of Ireland.

Welcome to boards.ie, you are welcome here, but this forum tends to deal with the broadband issues of people living in the Republic of Ireland, these two sky broadband forums would likely give you a better chance of getting an answer to your question:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161
    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=sky

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky broadband is definitively NOT in the Republic.

SkyDSL *IS* in the republic, but despite the name is not DSL or even broadband, but a Satellite based acceleration / download service. Sometimes even users of this service mistakenly think it is a Sky service. SkyDSL is no connection at all to Sky (or BSkyB / Newscorp / NDS)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

in short
    SkyDSL Broadband
    is not DSL, its not broadband, nor is it from Sky ( you know, the Digibox gang lol )

One big case of confusion definitely. lol
    And yes its One way only, meaning the upload is 56k over phoneline

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've never seen 56K dialup. 44K is the fastest I've seen, with an error rate / dropped packets puting real rate to nearer 32K. Which is why uncontented ISDN if no broadband at all available is better. I'd rather pay for two channel ISDN than SkyDSL. But if you can get 3G it is now cheaper than dialup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement