Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms Line Checker - Site Change

Options
  • 09-10-2006 10:39am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On the broadband page on eircom.ie there is a new layout. In the middle of the page there is a small "Check if your line is suitable for broadband" link, was difficult to find. This link doesn't seem to work in firefox or IE for me. Anyone got a link to a working line checker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

The line checker on www.netsource.ie queries Eircom's database afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Slaanesh wrote:
    On the broadband page on eircom.ie there is a new layout. In the middle of the page there is a small "Check if your line is suitable for broadband" link, was difficult to find. This link doesn't seem to work in firefox or IE for me. Anyone got a link to a working line checker?
    Your pop-up blocker may be preventing the line checker window from opening.
    Hold down the 'Ctrl' key when you click on the link to over-ride the blocker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

kaizersoze wrote:
    Your pop-up blocker may be preventing the line checker window from opening.
    Hold down the 'Ctrl' key when you click on the link to over-ride the blocker.

It just opens the same page again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Legend, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

This one works great and seems to be up to date

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/Phoneline+Checker/

That one just says failed for me. Whereas Eircom line checker says unable to determine at this time and the BT checker says I can get broadband ... go figure.

JohnnieM wrote:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

JohnnieM wrote:

Just tried that and got an error about being unable to connect to eircom.ie :rolleyes:

Amusing:

Eircom Line Checker on prequal.eircom.ie

046 90XXXXX Unsuitable

Eircom Line Checker on eircom.ie@

Line Result Order
    046-90XXXXX Unable to determine if line is suitable

Esat BT Line Checker:

YES,

Broadband is available in your area, to choose the broadband option that suit you click here.

Engineer was round the house today but there was noone there to let him in, he enabled the line though so it's connected. He even rang me from it, was weird seeing my number come up on my mobile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Was that a new line you got installed??? Im due to be connected on Thursday and Eircom line checker says ''unable to determine'' but BT says ''Yes broadband is available''

Wonder how this works , im hoping I can get broadband when its connected on Thursday. Dont know how BT can get a YES though

Dunno how it works. Yeah it's a brand spanking new line in a new estate. I'm not overly optimistic in the slightest. I ordered the Esat BT 3MB on the off-chance. I expect them to come back to me with a "Sorry, you live in the arse end of nowhere, don't ever expect to get broadband ... EVER", or something along those lines.

Did you get your BB yet mate ???? My installation for the line has been put back to next Friday so I wont know til its connected!!! Its a pain all these delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'm guessing that BT/Magnet only look at your area and say whether its available in the area or not. I got a brand new phoneline in a couple of days ago and I'm passing the test on BT and Magnet, but Eircom/Netsource says no test results available. The line hasn't been tested yet because its new. Last time I went through this process, they kept telling me it takes 2 weeks for the line to be tested, but for months I wasn't able to get any result until I caused a big fuss. Let us know how you get on Slaan, because I'm in the same boat.

Unfortunately, the test now fails on all counts. The exchange must not have been DSL enabled which is a bummer. Why didn't they put in a DSL enabled exchange while they were at it!? I decided to ring and mail most of the broadband providers and apparently icecomms want to extend into Kilmessan in a few weeks. I wait with bated breath.

God that is dissapointing!!! I know that my next door neighbour can get it so I know the exchange is enabled and we are not too far from the exchange so im still hoping !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Dellas wrote:
    Was that a new line you got installed??? Im due to be connected on Thursday and Eircom line checker says ''unable to determine'' but BT says ''Yes broadband is available''

Wonder how this works , im hoping I can get broadband when its connected on Thursday. Dont know how BT can get a YES though

BT's checker doesn't seem to check the actual line, just the area you are in. I got a new phoneline in two weeks ago after waiting since July for my new estate to be connected, I then ordered broadband last Thursday through eircom.ie, at the time it said it was unable to determine whether my line passed or not, I figured I'd be in for a long wait for the line to be tested but I was messing around the following day and went ahead and placed another order through eircom, this time the line passed....all in all I was only waiting a week for it to pass, not bad at all.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Eircom perhaps taking less than 10 working days to connect to the service? I rang yesterday and was told the service would be up by the 31st of October...I don't think I can wait that long more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

BT's checker doesn't seem to check the actual line, just the area you are in.
    BT's "line checker" checks the eircom database. BT can't check the actual line itself, because eircom won't let them.

Just did a check on UTV and it says the number ive been allocated by Eircom is suitable for BB. Checked my neighbours who has had her line for years and it says not suitable. Did another neighbours next door and it says suitable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Slaanesh wrote:
    ... apparently icecomms want to extend into Kilmessan in a few weeks. I wait with bated breath.

Hi,
    I had an unannounced visit from Eircom last Monday.
    (I'd ordered broadband on the strength of a "pass subject to confirmation")
    They downgraded my ISDN line, tested the line, and put it back to ISDN over a period of a couple of hours. I'm about a mile as the crow flies from Kilmessan. Unfortunately, not a dickybird on the DSL sync.

Where did you hear about the icecomms coverage extension?

NiallB

• Advertisement

niallb wrote:
    Hi,
    I had an unannounced visit from Eircom last Monday.
    (I'd ordered broadband on the strength of a "pass subject to confirmation")
    They downgraded my ISDN line, tested the line, and put it back to ISDN over a period of a couple of hours. I'm about a mile as the crow flies from Kilmessan. Unfortunately, not a dickybird on the DSL sync.

Where did you hear about the icecomms coverage extension?

NiallB

I heard it from a rep in Icecomms, he rang me back after I filled out an internet query. However, I read on there site that they acquired Ildana so maybe they are thinking about providing Satellite coverage ... toss to that.

Advertisement