Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core 2 Duo vs Pentium 4

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently specin' some new computers for work.

I have to decide and justify Core 2 Duo 1.86 ghz vs Pentium 4 3.2ghz

Does anyone know where I can find a good review of these two processors, with charts and like for like performance?

Also what do you recommend?

Cheers B2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Any of the major hardware review sites will tell you that core 2 duo nukes pentium 4. I'd explain why but to be honest that information is everywhere.

Have a look at the likes of www.anandtech.com / www.hardocp.com / google core 2 duo review and see what you get.

For a question like "Which processor is best" google is your freind. I'm not being smart here, in your case it'll be much faster with much more detailed information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no comparison really, c2d demolishes p4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Thanks guys

I think I'll push for Core 2 Duo.

I have another question for my home PC, the c2d chip fits into the same type slot as a p4, so would it be possible to upgrade just my chip to core 2 duo?

The fsb on my current PC is 533mhz so would this act as a bottleneck and reduce the amount of extra speed I could get out of the new c2d?
    Cheers

B2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Won't work, c2d is only compatible with 965 & newer 975 chipsets. New mobo's will be needed & ddr2 memory (if you don't have ddr2 already)

Advertisement