Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Road trains" on Irish roads

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I saw a convoy of circus trucks, most of them consisted of an artic tractor unit + artic trailer + caravan/small trailer hitched to the back of the trailer. I wouldn't fancy trying to reverse something like that.

Another one was even bigger, consisted of a rigid truck plus 2 large drawbar trailers, this combination looked to be about twice the length of a normal articulated truck and was being driven along narrow Irish roads and turning at T junctions and crossroads. I was amazed at the skill of the driver, maneouvring that thing was like a circus trick :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I had a go at driving my fathers fully loaded artic once.....the bent forward bar on the trailer damage fence and my dad laughing his ass off at me indicated i wasn’t very good at it with the trailer.

Truck on its own is great fun though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Most people don't even consider the swing of the front of the trailer on an artic. I saw a case one day where an artic was swinging in a gateway and a van, seeing that the tractor unit wasn't going to close the gap too much, went to go out. Smacked straight into the front corner of the trailer as the artic advanced through the gate and he went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BrianD3 wrote:
    Yesterday I saw a convoy of circus trucks, most of them consisted of an artic tractor unit + artic trailer + caravan/small trailer hitched to the back of the trailer. I wouldn't fancy trying to reverse something like that.

Another one was even bigger, consisted of a rigid truck plus 2 large drawbar trailers, this combination looked to be about twice the length of a normal articulated truck and was being driven along narrow Irish roads and turning at T junctions and crossroads. I was amazed at the skill of the driver, maneouvring that thing was like a circus trick :)
    Circus and funfair/amusement vehicles are exempt from the normal restrictions on length and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have seen that a few times too with circus vehicles. Truck + trailer + caravan. Only in this country though. I thought it was illegal in the EU
    Circus and funfair/amusement vehicles are exempt from the normal restrictions on length and weight.

That would explain it. Any links?

Advertisement