Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked keys in car

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Help - had blonde moment this morning and have locked my keys into my car. Anyone know what the best thing I should do is. Wonder if I call a garage would they be able/ willing to do the coat hanger thingy to pop lock??? The lock is not a remote one and there is no immobiliser etc. in the car. Any suggestions welcome!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

First of all this post should be in motors!! ;)

If its the old micra then a garage can get into it for you using a coat hanger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Hi Jonny,

yeah - am having trouble doing anything right today...!

Is a 93 Starlet and I could kinda pry the door open a little this morning so the chances of getting a coat hanger in there are fab , but do garages normally do that kind of thing - like, won't they question it??
    In Cork.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ask the resident 'dodgy' bloke in your office ;)

A garage won't have any problems doing it but they'll probably charge a hefty call-out charge. You're not an AA member by any chance? They'd do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

jonny24ie wrote:
    First of all this post should be in motors!! ;)

If its the old micra then a garage can get into it for you using a coat hanger!!

Micra?

Try the coat hanger yourself. Failing that break the smallest window!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Micra?

Try the coat hanger yourself. Failing that break the smallest window!

SOrry meant to post Micra "type" car!!
    All you have to do is (I hope I don't get in trouble for this one)
    Get a coat hanger and bend it at the hook end, straighten the rest and pull back the bit of rubber at the window just above the handle/lock, place the hanger inside until you feel something and pull it up!! Keep trying until the door unlocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Are you a member of the AA (or do you know someone who is)? They'll break in for you.

I did this to myself in Dublin city centre in a multistorey car park. I managed to break in without damaging the car using a standard kitchen knife. I had to go over to Arnotts to buy the knife, though. Then I thought it would look a bit suspect just buying one knife on its own so I bought a fork and spoon as well! Luckily they were having a sale on loose cutlery... :D

Yeah , and quite a few dodgy blokes there are to choose from too...
    Have comp. insurance for breakdown callout etc. but the guy in the insurance co. said that if I do that it will count as a claim so don't really want to go down that route unless I really have too.

Was tempted to break the bloody window alright but thought what's the point of driving the car with extra air conditioning??!! Broke 2 coat hangers this morning but was in a mad rush and not doing it properly obviously (feel like such a fecking girl!)

Thanks.

Ok guys - will try the coat hanger thing again when I get home - thanks for the tips Jonny (and don't worry - am not trying to pick up dodgy tips!)
    Blastman - LOL about your cutlery dilemma - nice cover up there I must say...what exactly did you do with the knife?
    Was out myself with a massive kitchen knife this morn. too. I'd say that the people waiting at the bus stop must've thought I was a total looner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you know the original selling dealer they might have the key number recorded somewhere (slim chance at this stage) but if they do then you can get a new key cut in a locksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Blastman - LOL about your cutlery dilemma - nice cover up there I must say...what exactly did you do with the knife?
    Was out myself with a massive kitchen knife this morn. too. I'd say that the people waiting at the bus stop must've thought I was a total looner.
    Heh heh!

On my car, instead of hooking with a coathanger and pulling up, you push down. The knife is used to unclip the rubber strip across the bottom of the window to gain access and then to push down where appropriate. For a more authentic thieving look, a screwdriver is recommended. But then, you can't pretend to be eating a steak with a screwdriver when caught in the act! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

No point suggesting the coat hanger unless someone has taught you how to use the coathanger to open the door. Otherwise you could end up doing something stupid like popping locking mechanism off.

How do I know? I did it. Ended up having to take the whole door apart to fix it.

Also I would recommend a locksmith rather then a garage. They can open the lock for you and they will probably cut you a spare one for future.

Incidently both cases I called out for help they both put like a small balloon into the crack between door and window. Inflated it slightly and opened the door. Best time 8 seconds from the locksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Defo try the hanger

i did it with my old starlet loads of times.

Take the black strip off at the bottom of the window. (as said screwdriver or knife)

make a hook!
    make the short bit of the bend about 4 inches long and use the other long bit as the handle.

slip it in the slot and try to get the hook into the bottom of the lock button
    i have found the gently gently approach works better , bending the top of the handle will make it easier to manuver the hook end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

what about using the spare key :D:D ...........

Hanger sounds like your best bet, dont damage the window frame or break the glass when trying to pull out the door.

Then when you get the key, get it copied:)

Advertisement