Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing windows - aesthetics and quality

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I used to think windows was windows, but I was far too innocent!

We're extending our terraced house and putting in new windows front and back, as well as French windows to the garden. The windows in the front will be the same shape as they are now (2 panels side by side, and one across the top) but I wonder if this is the best for the back, too? I like tall narrow windows rather than wide ones, but wonder if this would be silly, give that the bars block the light?

Should the downstairs windows match the upstairs (bedroom) windows?

I'm thinking of putting in argon-filled or triple-glazed timber windows, clad with aluminium on the outside. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer? What are Marvin Architectural like?

And what's the best opening mechanism for a long (2m, probably divided up into panels) window - one panel that swings out, or sliding panels, or a sash?

Are there aesthetic rules governing proportions?

Any advice you could give me on windows, in general?

Advertisement