Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2Much trouble

• 09-10-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

last year two attempted rapes on campus, student areas in Castletroy broken into nightly, brawl in elm park last week. the place has gone fcukin mad, anyone any experience of this lately in the area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Not really no, I've never had any trouble around here aside from the odd scumbag shouting obcenities out of his car while passing. Castletroy is no worse than any other part of the country. There was a load of breakins last year but I didn't hear of any over the summer or in recent weeks. The only thing that's happened recently (to my knowledge) was the fight/break in in Elm Park.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I feel safer here than most places. At the end of the day if you have 14000 people together (and thats not including staff and residents of castletroy) in the one area there is going to be one or two incidents. And by the way places arnt being broken into "nightly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

As a girlie I dont feel very safe here. I wouldnt even think about walking on my own once it gets dark. Having said that I woulndt have done that in UCC or Tralee either. I think the area here is badly lit though, and some parts are just really dodgy at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Meh, a bit hullabaloo about nothing tbh.

Two attepmted rapes over the course of a year?
    Bah, two too many realy but enough to get worked up over? I dunno.

Perhaps for girlies it's a tad dangerous but the issue had been addressed by the college before I thought.

Walk in the lights young padewans...

kaimera wrote:

Walk in the lights young padewans...

When you can find the lights!!

Oohh so philosophical.. walk towards the lights... seek and you shall find!

(and well, if you dont, you can always pick up a roadsign that will protect you on your walk home) :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

last year two attempted rapes on campus, student areas in Castletroy broken into nightly, brawl in elm park last week. the place has gone fcukin mad, anyone any experience of this lately in the area?

I hardly think there are breakins every night!

With 14,000 people around not every one is going to get along!

I've seen pig cars driving around College Court the last few nights.

Just be glad they got rid of the cream crackers up by the parkway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    Just be glad they got rid of the cream crackers up by the parkway!

Ehh..that's hardly the most PC now is it Peter?

and no, they didn't, they moved to a diff place :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

UL is way safer than most areas in the city, i lived in cahirdavin (by LIT) for the past 2 yrs and it was hell! can't go walkin around durin the day, never mind at night. i may be only a newbie in UL but it seems way friendlier, and there's no scobes that i've seen anyway. thumbs up! :D

kaimera wrote:
    Ehh..that's hardly the most PC now is it Peter?

and no, they didn't, they moved to a diff place :eek:

No, it's not very PC!

Different place, as long as its far away from UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Ah now. Down with that sort of...branding. It's not that bad at all - no worse than any other part of the country in which many students reside together. Yes, there were a considerable number of robberies in the College Court area during the last academic year, but cause of these incidents has been tracked down and been dealt with accordingly.

As a person who actually hails from Limerick city itself (rather than just a blow-in for four years ;)), I can reassure you that Castletroy is a very safe area when compared to some other areas that have been neglected by the city council and are rampant with anti-social behaviour. Castletroy is most definitely considered one of the "better" areas of Limerick.

No place in which people reside alongside each other will ever be completely free from any sort of crime. But don't let one bad apple spoil the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

440Hz wrote:
    As a girlie I dont feel very safe here. I wouldnt even think about walking on my own once it gets dark. Having said that I woulndt have done that in UCC or Tralee either. I think the area here is badly lit though, and some parts are just really dodgy at night.

Ah now UCC is very safe although I suppose it's a bit close to the 'Hane and Togher for some peoples' liking. I dunno, I feel very safe around that area even at night. Maybe it's different if you have known the place for more than 3/4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no area is totally safe,be it out in the country or in the city. any woman that walks anywhere on her own is totally daft,it just shouldnt happen.

castletroy in general is decent area, but there are scumbags, non students(and locals residents), that think there the bees knees and think they can do what they want. the cops blame the students of being the cause, when its the locals waaas that are the thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

When I was in 2nd year, living in College Court, there was an attempted rape about 50 yards from my front door...It happened on a Sunday night, around 7.30p.m.....and no-one heard anything...

For weeks after that, I was sooo freaked out...even walking to college at 2p.m. or 3p.m. during the day!!

I was in Dublin on co-op since Feb, and often walked home by myself. Stupid, I know, but when drink is involved, we all gain a bit of dutch courage...

Is it wrong that I felt safer walking home in Dublin than Limerick??!

When I was in 2nd year, living in College Court, there was an attempted rape about 50 yards from my front door...It happened on a Sunday night, around 7.30p.m.....and no-one heard anything...

Ah, 'Attachgate' rears it's head again! It never goes away!
    For weeks after that, I was sooo freaked out...even walking to college at 2p.m. or 3p.m. during the day!!

I was in Dublin on co-op since Feb, and often walked home by myself. Stupid, I know, but when drink is involved, we all gain a bit of dutch courage...

Is it wrong that I felt safer walking home in Dublin than Limerick??!

Depends on where in Dublin you were. I was in Blackrock for my co-op and I felt safe walking home from the pub at 1 in the morning

Aero787 wrote:
    Ah now UCC is very safe although I suppose it's a bit close to the 'Hane and Togher for some peoples' liking. I dunno, I feel very safe around that area even at night. Maybe it's different if you have known the place for more than 3/4 years.

I have known that area most of my life. Its not the worst but you certainly wouldnt walk around on your own late at night either.

I was living just off camden street...fair enough, I know I didn't have to walk that far from most of the pubs and clubs, but I was living near the canal as well...kinda spooky when you're sober, but grand when you're drunk!!

also....4th year stinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Peck

You can't simply lable a place as dangerous. Fires dangerous if your not careful. If your smart youll never walk anywhere at night on your own. Eve if you are a first year fella thinking your all macho being a "man" and all. its dangerous for anyone walking alone at night in any college/city/county/dublin. Staying safe is just a bit of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭chubba1984

I spent 4 years in UL and walked many places on my own during that time. I used to like goin for a stroll in de dark, especially around exam time, good for gettin my thoughts together and never once did I get even shouted at by a drunk, let alone attacked. I lived in Dublin for co-op and no bother there either. Too much emphesis is placed on the slim possibility of trouble but in my experience a lot of it is unwarranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Happens on every campus afaik, hell, there was an armed robbery on the bank in NUIG during the week!

However, it could be safer.

it definitely could be safer..but if we didn't take risks with our own safety, such as walking home alone at night, putting ourselves in such dangerous situations, then making the place safer (although always a good thing) wouldn't be as big an issue...however, all that's well and good in theory, but in reality, it's not the case...some people (like me!) are always gonna put themselves in these sits...esp after drink...(personally after drink!!)

at least there's the free night link in U.L.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

i dont feel very safe living close to rape valley. (The little dirt track between college court and campus). Our house is too big and empty felling for 5 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eauclaire

hmmmm... so what you're all saying is that girls should pretty much not walk anywhere on their own at night?

seeing as though i've never been to ul before, and i'll be living in kilmurry, is that slightly safe since it's nearer to campus than off-campus housing?

depends on where ya walk, if you have your wits about ya and who your with, same as anywhere really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was walking home from work this evening at about 8.30. My friend was cycling down behind me as I left before her and as she cycled by this guy cycling in the opposite direction punched her for no reason. What the hell like? It's things like that that make me afraid to walk around at night. This was along the Dublin road, it was relatively early and the road was still busy. People don't give a crap at all.

ergonomics wrote:
    Was walking home from work this evening at about 8.30. My friend was cycling down behind me as I left before her and as she cycled by this guy cycling in the opposite direction punched her for no reason. What the hell like? It's things like that that make me afraid to walk around at night. This was along the Dublin road, it was relatively early and the road was still busy. People don't give a crap at all.
    yea that sux, some people can be real ****s. remember that we limerickians are not all bad! in fact most of us are quite pleasant! :D

ergonomics wrote:

OMG! that is horrific. What a **** urgh... this makes me sooo mad. and im already cross :mad:

Is your friend ok? did she report it? anything happen?

What the hell.

I can understand gangsters and what not killing each other (They can do what they lke) but it's random crap like the above that gets me :mad:
    in fact most of us are quite pleasant!

Most indeed. Minority wanted to spoil it for the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

She didn't report it and neither of us got a good look at him. She is OK, but was very angry at the time. Thankfully she only had a dead arm, I say thankfully cause the punch could have easily made her swerve into traffic or she could have fallen. I've started bringing my rape alarm everywhere with me because people are so random like that. If anything happens like that again no matter how minor I will make sure the other person reports it and if they don't I will.

missgwish: Don't worry, I won't tar you all with the same brush! I know quite a lot of Limerick people and I find them all lovely.

ergonomics wrote:
    She didn't report it and neither of us got a good look at him. She is OK, but was very angry at the time. Thankfully she only had a dead arm, I say thankfully cause the punch could have easily made her swerve into traffic or she could have fallen. I've started bringing my rape alarm everywhere with me because people are so random like that. If anything happens like that again no matter how minor I will make sure the other person reports it and if they don't I will.

missgwish: Don't worry, I won't tar you all with the same brush! I know quite a lot of Limerick people and I find them all lovely.
    :D yay no tar! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Walking back to Thomond tonight, there was a Garda van parked on the grass after Drumroe, with what I think was a garda and a sniffer dog walking around. Anyone know what the story was?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement