Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2Much trouble

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I remember seeing the same thing at the same place around a year ago. Weird. Maybe he's trying to bust students smoking Js around campus or something. Which would be a bit pathetic if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

Well i graduated just last year and i definately thik that the area has gone downhill in the last few years. There used to be the feeling that you lived in the 'Castletroy Bubble', but recently i am hearing a lot more stuff going on. I know of two of my friends who were broken into in College court last year, guys would roam around the estate during the day checking if houses were empty and break in if they were. I lived in Briarfield during the Summer and i a frend of mine had her car broken into and over the course of a few weeks nearly all her housemates suffered the same. I know of peoples houses who were broken into while they were still there and i am starting to notice goups of scoobs hanging around. Even as a guy i am starting to feel uncomfortable walking around on my own at night and thik i had a few lucky escapes that could have gone badly if i were alone. I think the scumbags have figured that an entire area populated my middle-classes bums/students living away from home but with lots of Mp3 players, consoled and computers in their houses are just too much of a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

2 mates of mine were in the livin room of their house in college court, someone came into the house, went up the stairs and took a laptop, then went into the bedroom off the kitchen and took another laptop, left through the front door and was never caught. middle of the day, the guys weren't drinkin or anythin, jus watchin tv! ****ed up i tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was coming home from town on Wednesday at about 6 and as the bus pulled away from the bus stop somebody threw something hard at the window and it shattered. Thankfully the window stayed in the frame, otherwise it could have been a lot worse. In a way I can see the mentality behind robbing and mugging - get some stuff and sell it for more money or whatever but vandalism is pointless! I'd say a brick was thrown at the bus window, if it had gone threw the poor girl beside the window would be in hospital now, she could even have died. If the window had caved in with the brick people would have got cut from the glass. It's just unbelieveably stupid and dangerous.

Note: I don't approve of robbing or mugging at all, I can just understand why people do it. That said, there are people who do it for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

ergonomics wrote:
    Was coming home from town on Wednesday at about 6 and as the bus pulled away from the bus stop somebody threw something hard at the window and it shattered. Thankfully the window stayed in the frame, otherwise it could have been a lot worse. In a way I can see the mentality behind robbing and mugging - get some stuff and sell it for more money or whatever but vandalism is pointless! I'd say a brick was thrown at the bus window, if it had gone threw the poor girl beside the window would be in hospital now, she could even have died. If the window had caved in with the brick people would have got cut from the glass. It's just unbelieveably stupid and dangerous.

Note: I don't approve of robbing or mugging at all, I can just understand why people do it. That said, there are people who do it for the fun of it.

the obvious answer is simple ........ some people are dicks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've been here in UL about 6-7 years now (I know, I'm stuck here :( ) and I have noticed a general decline alright. One of the reasons I've heard for this is the increase in social housing in parts of Castletroy such as Curragh Birin and adjoining areas. A lot of scumbag families have supposedly been put in houses here.

I've heard stories of scumbag kids attacking taxis with hammers, friends being attacked while walking home at night (I've had stones thrown at me at night walking home from the shop by some very young scumy kids which is just plain sad). There is the increase in break ins in the campus car parks and the campus buildings also. Some female French students we had over had some lads flash them while they walked home one night (could have been much worse and we had warned them not to walk alone at night). I see a Garda car out in Curragh Birin nearly every day, something I never saw 4 years ago.

So I'm going to be very unPC and say that the problem is with all the scumbags that have been dumped in social housing in Castletroy in recent years, yes there was always rapes and break ins but some of the stuff going on at the moment is caused directly by these people.

Now thats my rant over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

True, it does seem that crime here has risen proportionally with the increasing number of scumbags coming to the area.

However, some of the more high profile cases involving break-ins around UL have involved students as well. Remember the case of the 3 students caught thieving houses this year?

Of course there are students up to no good in UL I won't deny that, but if they do that they're just scumbags too. University is open to more and more people today and pretty much anyone can get into college. This is a great thing but you'll inevitability get people who for what ever reasons just want to cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I might be wrong, but does anyone else think the City council are dumping (literally) some of their problem tenants out in the county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

5uspect wrote: »
    I've been here in UL about 6-7 years now (I know, I'm stuck here :( ) and I have noticed a general decline alright. One of the reasons I've heard for this is the increase in social housing in parts of Castletroy such as Curragh Birin and adjoining areas. A lot of scumbag families have supposedly been put in houses here.

I've heard stories of scumbag kids attacking taxis with hammers, friends being attacked while walking home at night (I've had stones thrown at me at night walking home from the shop by some very young scumy kids which is just plain sad). There is the increase in break ins in the campus car parks and the campus buildings also. Some female French students we had over had some lads flash them while they walked home one night (could have been much worse and we had warned them not to walk alone at night). I see a Garda car out in Curragh Birin nearly every day, something I never saw 4 years ago.

So I'm going to be very unPC and say that the problem is with all the scumbags that have been dumped in social housing in Castletroy in recent years, yes there was always rapes and break ins but some of the stuff going on at the moment is caused directly by these people.

Now thats my rant over :o

i'll second this castletroy has gone totally downhill. It used to be an upscale middle to upper class area with no scumbags in it whatsoever. But now the place is full of scumbags. Sure we used to have problems with rowdy students but now its turned into a semi scumbag area. I was walking down the church way today and seen this total scumbag taking a leak right out in the open on the raod. When i looked over at him as if to drop the hint 'what the hell are you doing you total scumbag' he just stared back like he wanted to start a fight. All the way back he kept staring back to start a fight. And this was on the main road where everyone could see. I blame the county council or housing authorities for moving these scumbags into an area which was middle class and giving these people rent allowance. You can take the criminal out of an area but you can't take the criminal out of a person.

Stupid liberal idiots we have in this country.

• Advertisement

realismpol wrote: »
    i'll second this castletroy has gone totally downhill. It used to be an upscale middle to upper class area with no scumbags in it whatsoever. But now the place is full of scumbags. Sure we used to have problems with rowdy students but now its turned into a semi scumbag area. I was walking down the church way today and seen this total scumbag taking a leak right out in the open on the raod. When i looked over at him as if to drop the hint 'what the hell are you doing you total scumbag' he just stared back like he wanted to start a fight. All the way back he kept staring back to start a fight. And this was on the main road where everyone could see. I blame the county council or housing authorities for moving these scumbags into an area which was middle class and giving these people rent allowance. You can take the criminal out of an area but you can't take the criminal out of a person.

Stupid liberal idiots we have in this country.

Well I would be pretty much liberal. But the problem isn't solved by spreading the mess thinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Please don't drag up two-year old threads - the last post on this before this evening was 2006. Consider starting a new thread instead and linking to the old one if appropriate and relevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement