Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots fired at Gardai during siege at house in Co Galway

Options
  • 09-10-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

From the Irish Independent (http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=99594)-
    Shots fired at Gardai during siege at house in Co Galway
    08:19 Monday October 9th 2006

Gardai in Co Galway have come under fire during an ongoing siege at a house in Gort. The stand-off began late last night when a man in his 40s barricaded himself into the house on Crowe Street.
    A number of patrol cars were damaged when shots were fired at Gardai from the building, but no injuries have been reported.
    A team of trained negotiators are currently at the scene and nearby residents have been evacuated from their homes.

...and from RTE (http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1009/gort.html)-
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Man barricades himself inside house in Galway[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]

09 October 2006 13:08
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gardaí in Co Galway have sealed off an area surrounding a house which an armed man is refusing to leave. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trained negotiators have been called to the scene in Gort where the stand-off began late last night. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Several shots were fired from the house and at least one Garda patrol car was damaged.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gardaí have stressed that no one was injured and they say they do not believe the man intended to injure anybody. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The man is thought to be in his 40s.[/FONT]
    Another eejit trying to feck it all up for the rest of us?
    According to the one o'clock news, he's a clay pigeon shooter with two legal/licenced firearms.
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

oh i bet we come out looking good from this one.......NOT.

The shooting community a.k.a. punching bag for the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah he engineered his domestic dispute just so he could sully your name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Vegeta wrote:
    oh i bet we come out looking good from this one.......NOT.

Don't think events like these damage the reputation of shooting as a sport or its participants. I think people realise its an individual who has lost it!

If he had produced a pistol it would obviously make things difficult for pistol shooters who seem to be constantly under pressure licence wise.

When some people lose the head it is an easy option to go for the shotgun and tell everyone to stay away, lets see what happens when things cool down and the hangover wears off.

yeah he engineered his domestic dispute just so he could sully you name

Did I say he did?

No I didn't but it is a byproduct of his stupid actions.

You are aware that pistols were banned in England mainly because of Dunbale.

It only takes one mistake by a fool such as the guy in Galway to ruin a sport for the rest of us.

CLADA wrote:
    Don't think events like these damage the reputation of shooting as a sport or its participants. I think people realise its an individual who has lost it!

If he had produced a pistol it would obviously make things difficult for pistol shooters who seem to be constantly under pressure licence wise.

When some people lose the head it is an easy option to go for the shotgun and tell everyone to stay away, lets see what happens when things cool down and the hangover wears off.

Making it harder to license a pistol is damaging the sport as more people who may want to take it up and become competitive just wont bother due to the extreme difficulty of being granted a license

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    Making it harder to license a pistol is damaging the sport as more people who may want to take it up and become competitive just wont bother due to the extreme difficulty of being granted a license

So lets hope he doesn't let rip with a pistol between now and surrender time or it will make licencing a pistol impossible.

CLADA wrote:
    So lets hope he doesn't let rip with a pistol between now and surrender time or it will make licencing a pistol impossible.

I personally don't know what he fired the shots with, its probably a shotgun, but its still going to give the papers something to write about.

You can hardly see the papers say "this is a very isolated incodent most people with legally held firearms are not nutters, In fact crimes committed with legally held firearms is very low indicating a very safe nation when it comes to firearms".

Nope it'll probably read "Depressed man takes out anger with shotgun" They will highlight the rising gun crime in Ireland even though gun crime by licensed firearms holders is practically unheard of. Its genreally criminals who tote the guns but we'll more than likely get swept in with them

what the hell was up with the guy he came out of the house shooting, they tried the bean bags and that didn't stop him so they shot him in the chest with a gun. !

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1009/gort.html
    At 8:20pm this evening the man left the house, off Crowe Street, and fired a number of shots in the direction of gardaí.

In response the gardaí fired a number of non-lethal beanbag rounds, which failed to disable the man.
    Advertisement
    Adblock

A live round was then fired at the man hitting him in the chest-shoulder area.

Gardaí say the man is in a stable condition at University College Hospital in Galway and his injuries are not life threatening.

hmm they mustn't know how to use those things yet, they should be able to knock the guy off his feet, glad the ERU has them now, but I wish they didn't use the phrase non-lethal, it should be less- lethal we all know these weapons have used close up to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This isn't the place to start a discussion on your own special interpretation of police firearms tactics.

move the thread then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

that didn't stop him so they shot him in the chest with a gun. !
    Well it's easier that way. Shooting someone with a haddock is generally considered to be technically demanding for the Garda in question.
    they should be able to knock the guy off his feet
    Not in a universe where Newton's second law is adhered to.
    we all know these weapons have used close up to kill.
    We do? I've seen photos of the wounds left by beanbag rounds when abused and fired at close range at targets on the head and neck area (from the anti-war protest in Oakland prior to the Iraq invasion) - they leave rather unpleasant-looking bruising and concussion but they weren't killing people.

move the thread then
    Not going to happen. You're in the wrong forum. Go to politics or after hours; or else discuss the parts of these events relevant to the shooting sports or sport shooting.

hey not my fault rovi started the thread about the incident

Yes; because it affects how legitimate licenced firearms holders are viewed by the public and could have repercussions for our sports and for hunting. Not to discuss police tactics. For that, go to the thread in the Politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
    But the rounds did not deter him. When he continued to act in what gardai described as a "threatening manner", a garda marksman discharged a live round from a .308 rifle.

Is a .308 not a bit large for close range takedown.
    If they were using FMJ I hate to see where it ended up!
    [/FONT]

So little fun to be had listening to the Ryan show on 2FM right now. Shotguns can't have more than two rounds. He couldn't have reloaded because he'd have to open the side-by-side first and that'd take 5-6 seconds and so the Gardai could have rushed him at that point. And Ryan's not helping either, going on about how this chap was in "battle mode" and "wouldn't have noticed a shot in the thigh or the leg or the hand or the ear". And even better was "it's so good we can't get firearms easily in this country. Unless you're a drug dealer or terrorist that is." Bah.

Well, that didn't take long, they're now chatting about how licences shouldn't be given out to people who will become unstable like this...

Someone please ring in, set em straight. I am at work so i cant, otherwise i'd do it myself

Too late Vegeta the damage is done, bows and arrows from the 1st August next year!!!

They had a cop from the UK who was presumably SO13 or something similar, and he laid out at least a few of the dafter ideas about the shooting itself. I've heard noone yet say anything that was positive towards our sport, though we've had a few shotgun shooters on to him this morning saying they supported the Gardai's actions wholeheartedly which is about the best we can hope for at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well, what would expect from Gerry Ryan and later today Joe Duffy???All Gob and no brains!!!
    Bean bags can kill as well as plastic bullets IF they are fired at the head at under 10 meters.Remember the riot in NI, where on film an RUC man fired point blank into a rioters head with a plastic baton round?? I would love to know where the ERU were aiming and at what distance.That would have a very important factor to play in wether they were effective or not.
    Using a 308 would proably be overkill in a short urban enviroment,but it is proably what they had at the time so thats what you use.Be thankful it was a FMJ and not a round used for hunting deer ,the guy wouldnt have a shoulder left.Which BTW police forces are allowed to use as FMJ ammo is coverd by the Hauge convention which relates to war ammunition and it's use by armies,and does not cover police forces.

Plank Kenny has know it all Conlon at the moment.Said it was a Steyr 308 that has been used by the ERU for the first time.

Remember the riot in NI, where on film an RUC man fired point blank into a rioters head with a plastic baton round?
    We both know that there's a long ways between a modern beanbag round and a 1970s era plastic baton round. People have been shot in the head with beanbag rounds and suffered no permanent injuries - google for the oakland anti-war protests for an example.
    Said it was a Steyr 308 that has been used by the ERU for the first time.
    Other sources (okay, Micheal O'Toole from the Star, so get out the salt) said it was an Accuracy International .308. Somehow I imagine the actual difference is lost on Burke's shoulder, but the point was more that if they get that detail wrong, we might not be hearing an accurate report of what happened just yet.

[QUOTE=Sparks
    ]We both know that there's a long ways between a modern beanbag round and a 1970s era plastic baton round.

1980s to be exact.The bean bag round has been around since the 1960s BTW

People have been shot in the head with beanbag rounds and suffered no permanent injuries - google for the oakland anti-war protests for an example
    Amazing then that the makers put warnings on the boxes then about NOT using this type of ammo at ranges under 10 meters.Any blow to the head can have medical consequences ,far or short term.

but the point was more that if they get that detail wrong, we might not be hearing an accurate report of what happened just yet.
    [/QUOTE]
    Or make it up as they go along.Watch the future buzz words come up again..."gun nut"[He had two shotguns sofar known] "hundreds of rounds of ammo"[what he was proably entitled to own on the liscense anyway] "gun culture" [WTF?????].All in all, we can expect another SHT storm headin our way again.

Amazing then that the makers put warnings on the boxes then about NOT using this type of ammo at ranges under 10 meters.Any blow to the head can have medical consequences ,far or short term.
    I didn't say it was a good idea, and the police in Oakland were disciplined for it and all re-trained in crowd control procedures; I was just pointing out that it's not always fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Or make it up as they go along.Watch the future buzz words come up again..."gun nut"[He had two shotguns sofar known] "hundreds of rounds of ammo"[what he was proably entitled to own on the liscense anyway] "gun culture" [WTF?????].All in all, we can expect another SHT storm headin our way again.

Wouldn't want to be applying for a 308 at the moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

17HMR wrote:
    Wouldn't want to be applying for a 308 at the moment....
    I got a .243 licence amended to .308 at the public counter yesterday morning :rolleyes:

Was making noise by the afternoon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

<resurrect thread>

It would appear that our 'friend' in Gort has recovered enough from that .308 in the shoulder (which I still consider to be a 'miss', by the way) to face the music-
    http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=100384
    Man arrested over Gort siege
    15:05 Wednesday October 25th 2006

A 40 year-old man has been arrested in connection with the siege in Gort earlier this month. He was taken to Ennis Garda Station where he is being held under Offences Against the State legislation.

The standoff at a house in the Galway town over a fortnight ago ended when Garda marksmen shot and injured a man in the chest.

The suspect can be held for up to 72 hours without charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Rovi wrote:
    <resurrect thread>

It would appear that our 'friend' in Gort has recovered enough from that .308 in the shoulder (which I still consider to be a 'miss', by the way) to face the music-

That was most definitly a miss. its been suggested in the press that it was a placed shot, this is bullsh1t no police unit anywhere else in the world tries to incapacitate (spelling), when it escalates to that level where they have to shoot, it's a kill shot to the upper torso triangle (heart lung shot ) or head shot to finish it instantly. they got lucky on this one that no one else was hit, a.308 fmj in an urban envoirment f***ing maddness.
    HE MISSED!!
    this guy never checked his ranges or compensated for close range
    it looks like things havent changed since they were training on army ranges and waving uzis around like they were music batons.when will these get proper firearms training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Lot of assumptions being made on the basis of media reports there folks.

• Advertisement

I'd hate to have been the sniper in that situation.
    Picture this the thoughts going thru your mind at that moment.

Have they given me green light here?
    I have a clear shot,will I take it before Green light order The mission breif was abit vauge there?
    If I take it,will the cheif cover for me?With that last FK up in Abbeylara,I could be hung out to dry.If them media hoors get hold of my address that I killed this bollix,the wife and kids will kill ME!
    Kill or wound?The offical order is save life at all costs,the bollix is shooting at the lads with a shotgun for fecks sake,we are all wearing armour,so wound him?f
    eck! the unoffical is take him out dead.What the fk happens if I wound him and he is still alive but crippled?
    The family can have us on a lawsuit,and the cheif will bollock me out for bad shooting.
    Kill him and I have to live with it,or be branded by the press and society as a offical murderer.
    They will know me if this goes pear shaped and there is another enquiry.
    Did I set this scope properly?
    Is this feckin thing going to go bang when I pull the trigger
    I need a slash badly.
    Why did this happen on MY shift??
    Wonder what the job prospects are in Mc Donalds for an ex copper?

All this and many more thoughts in a thousandths of a second

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement