Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots fired at Gardai during siege at house in Co Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

dfaf wrote:
    a.308 fmj in an urban envoirment f***ing maddness.

I suppose this is one of a number of reasons why the street was evacuated, no civilians in the area in the event of shots being fired = no civilian injuries.

[/QUOTE]
    this guy never checked his ranges or compensated for close range [/QUOTE]

How do you know how much of the target was visible to the sniper or what range he was firing from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

CLADA wrote:
    I suppose this is one of a number of reasons why the street was evacuated, no civilians in the area in the event of shots being fired = no civilian injuries.
    this guy never checked his ranges or compensated for close range [/QUOTE]

How do you know how much of the target was visible to the sniper or what range he was firing from?[/QUOTE]
    casualties be they civilians or LEO are casualties,
    7.62 168 grn FMJ with a 300 ydr zero rises 3.2 inches at 60 yrds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

dfaf wrote:
    7.62 168 grn FMJ with a 300 ydr zero rises 3.2 inches at 60 yrds.

I'm sure you're right on the trajectories dfaf, but as we are discussing possibilities is it possible that this man arrived at the scene with a zeroed weapon and depending on how close or far he was from the target adjusted his sights the relevant number of clicks to bring him on target, if he was on the range and zeroed at 100 then moved to 200 then 300 etc.. he would know the exact adjustments to make to the sights when he took up position and calculated his distance.

Clare Gunner described what might have gone through the snipers mind before pulling the trigger and that may well be accurate, but think about this, it was dark, the gunman was on the move, other guards were close by. I've no doubt it wasn't an aimed shot at the shoulder but in those circumstances what a shot. Its a bit harsh to say he missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think there is enough speculation on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement