Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Management Fee: Tax Deductible?

Options
  • 09-10-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the management fee paid for living in an appartment is deductable against tax? If not are elements of it(i.e. refuse charges).

There has been talk recently in the media from one of the consumer agencys releasing a booklet on management companies. I've tried searching the web but cant seem to find them. Anyone with a link?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No, it's not tax deductable. The only part that is are the refuse charges.

Make sure the management company issue you with a receipt for refuse charges.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lister1 wrote:
    Anyone know if the management fee paid for living in an appartment is deductable against tax? If not are elements of it(i.e. refuse charges).

There has been talk recently in the media from one of the consumer agencys releasing a booklet on management companies. I've tried searching the web but cant seem to find them. Anyone with a link?

Thanks...
    National Consumer Agency publishes report on Management Companies

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Thanks for the advice.

Keranse, Your link doesnt work but I was able to use it to goggle the other thread that it was supposed to reference. Thanks...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lister1 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice.

Keranse, Your link doesnt work but I was able to use it to goggle the other thread that it was supposed to reference. Thanks...

Fixed the link dunno what happened there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lister1 wrote:

Thanks...

Management Charges are an allowable expense against rental income when calculating taxable income for a landlord. If you are renting an apartment, it is the duty of the Landlord to pay the Management Charge, not the tenant. If you are an owner occuppier- the Management Charge is not tax deductable- but a portion of it (approximately 200 Euro) at the marginal rate may be claimed against refuse charges (if the Management Company organises refuse collection in the complex- not all do). So, it may be worth your while to get a note from the Management Company to certify that X amount of your management charge is directly attributal to refuse charges (for a max credit (about 40 Euro) aim for the 200-220 mark).

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement