Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormer plans and designs

Options
  • 09-10-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am looking to get planning on a site we just bought. It's in a rural area and theres a bungalow built beside us. We're trying for a storey and a half but going on responses from people its not looking good.

Does anyone know where I could get ideas or plans for dormer designs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Try here and here

Two great sites for ideas for plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

whitelightrider

Here is 2 sites - with Irish Specific designs

www.plan-a-home.ie/

and

www.irish-house-plans.com

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thanks!! Those sites were a real help. I got some nice ideas from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

A timber frame site with loads of ideas in it

www.century.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 hanorac

If i were you i'd get the planner out to see if you can have a dormer. We spoke to our planner before submitting dormer plans and were told we'd be approved for a bungalow as that's mainly what is in the area (there are a couple of dormers) but he said a dormer would be refused.
    Might save yourself a lot of time and money.
    One final thought, my cousin was looking for planning next to one of the dormers (same area) and didn't get it, was told he could put velux's in the back but not the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

make sure u get to talk to a senior planner and not some stand in or someone there for work experience. the amount of times we've dealt with one person who said a certain design is fine and then had it turned down by another planner. (in certain counties u may be waiting up to 2 months to speak to a planner and thats just for a sit down meeting in the county council headquarters, havent come across many who will meet you on site)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

make sure u get to talk to a senior planner and not some stand in or someone there for work experience. the amount of times we've dealt with one person who said a certain design is fine and then had it turned down by another planner. (in certain counties u may be waiting up to 2 months to speak to a planner and thats just for a sit down meeting in the county council headquarters, havent come across many who will meet you on site)

I know what you mean johnny. We made a request to meet with the planners and they sent us to the office in Ballinasloe, after waiting for 2 months, only to find out that it was the wrong place!! We needed to go to Oranmore. We tried getting an appointment but they more or less told us to try the plans we want and see how it goes!! Crazy. Thats why Im looking for a dormer plan, because I know that the one we are submitting probably wont get through. But we were told it's worth a try.

Advertisement