Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celeron Processors

• 09-10-2006 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, their reputation precedes them. Are they really that bad?

Would they run football manager ok on a laptop, for instance? While listening to some tunes through winamp, and browsing web pages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unfortunately yes, they have a bad name but only solely due to ignorance, which is equally unfortunate - Many people buy cheaper Celerons and then give out when they don't perform heavy tasks or similar to an equvilent Pentium based system.

The newer Celerons are much better then the older lines, in any case. But even at that, the older celerons are fine for dvds, web browsing, office work, and even playing older games etc. I'd say a modern Celeron should easily run any Football manager game out there, as long as it's not too old, but that logic would apply to any processor, not just a Celeron.

Trust me, if all you're doing is browsing the web and playing music, there will be essentially 0% noticable difference between a Celeron and a Pentium. It only becomes apparent when people start trying to run new games on them, heavy applications and similar, and then start whining "Celerons are so useless...".

If you threw in a good graphics card and ram into a decent Celeron based desktop, you would actually be able to play new games. Just usually, a Celeron system always equates to low end parts in all the hardware aspects, like amount of ram and gfx, which is why Celeron based laptops especially are usually a total no-go for anything gaming wise. But again, football manager will be fine.

Anyway. Basically: No, it's perfectly fine for what you want it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The main disadvantage of a celeron on a laptop is the very poor battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Of course there is the Celeron M processor for laptops, but I don't know how good the power saving features of it are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I have a celeron M processor in my current laptop. Its a fujitsu siemens and the battery life is brutal, around or usually less than an hour :(

However, it runs anything fine for me (including Football Manager) and stuff like MS Visual Basic 2005 Express. Plus, I would very rarely be using it anywhere that there is no power supply so if thats all your going to need it for i'd say save money and use it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement