Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eventually light at the end of the long slow tunnel

Options
  • 09-10-2006 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

I have today learned that PermaNET should be able to provide me with Wireless Broadband as I am within the Black Circle, so hopefully, Telephone Reps said it should work so I coming close to ordering it.

After over 30 letters to Various Government and Opposition Tds, I even attended and momenterily took over a Fianna Fail meeting last December to raise the issue, I left two FF Councillors speechless. Although It is not the DSL I had hoped for, beggars can't be choosers. I will maintain my SkyDSL and BT Anytime until all is up and running. It is a little pricey compared to DSL and the other Wireless operators but who cares, it will give me upload speed I have been missing out on with one-way sat.

I will be the guinea pig in my own area for it and if it works more people may get it. Community Group Broadband is bogged down completely despite the thing being started in Summer 05, I knew it would be when nothing was delivered this summer, tidings of good news will no doubt be spread weeks before the General Election, with things like "up and running in the Autumn" I was so frustrated with the whole scenario I was considering two options,

a) Build my own Network, I happen to own a Mountain which could provide Wireless Broadband to a 30Mile circle, I was considering teaming up with IrishWAN to do something put now there will be no need,

b) Astra2Connect (Slightly cheaper 2-way satellite) might launch next year and I'd get that instead.

I shall continue lobbying for DSL and Exchange enablement but the future is looking bleak on that front now though.

Anybody here with PermaNET ?? I'd like to hear how it is going speeds and ping times etc??? If successful I hope to run Voip on it to route the call traffic away from Eircom also. Would this be possible??

I am about ⅔ or ¾ the way out from the Middle of the Circle on the PermaNET map so I hoping they can deliver, only recently I noticed the upgraded map. I religiously checked all the resources about once a week or fortnight from checking the line to checking all the maps, three, vodafone, PermaNET, etc. Hopefully I am at the end of the road with this mini battle of mine now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

netwhizkid wrote:
    I happen to own a Mountain which could provide Wireless Broadband to a 30Mile circle

LOL :D . Have you ever tried to peddle this mountain to any of the myriad operators who are always on the lookout for a 'good' mountain , especially a 'good' mountain with power and an existing structure of some sort that needs 'replacing' like with a mast of some sort ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Someone was kind enough to post some permanet ping times here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054999643
    Would love to hear more about them though as Im getting them myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah well Permanet - I checked their coverage map, and lo and behold, for the very first time ever I am inside (barely but inside) a black circle. I could hardly believe my eyes and rang immediately. They took my details and promised to ring me back. In fairness, some agent returned the call within the hour but alas my area is NOT covered. Why not as I was inside the black circle - well actually the circle was a mistake!?! WTF? But they are planning to cover my area soon. How soon is soon? Well that is commercially sensible information and cannot be released at this time. BUt I would be the first to know. Right.
    Now my exchange (again a I Cannot Believe My Eyes situation) is actually included in the Eircom 100, so there is a chance of actually getting BB at some stage - and as seems to happen, when Eircom is planning to enable an exchange the wireless operators seem to move in too .. we who live rurally live in eternal hope & frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

morgana wrote:
    and as seems to happen, when Eircom is planning to enable an exchange the wireless operators seem to move in too .. we who live rurally live in eternal hope & frustration
    It's the other way round - when a wireless operator starts to deploy in an area, eircom suddenly gets interested.

I'd recommend permanet -they are good!
    Good stable service and they installed for my brother just 2 days after he ordered.

Pings are as low if not lower than my DSL and thats off the mast in croghan wood,just south east of croghan mountain in North Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Foxwood wrote:
    It's the other way round - when a wireless operator starts to deploy in an area, eircom suddenly gets interested.

Fine with me too - suddenly I have 2 entities promising BB in my area when before there were none, and I actually would prefer the wireless option :) - but still music of the future and time will tell. I believe it when I have the technician in my house saying yes I can install BB :D or my line passes a line test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Blast permanet anyway, They got back to me and told me that broadband is not available in my area, surprise surprise. A warning even if you are inside the black circle that is no guarantee that you will get it. Good job I didn't cancel my satellite BB with Skydsl as I was tempted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I am looking into this too. The girl I spoke to told me to see if I could see Croghan mountain, as thats where their node is. Does anyone know where this is? I tried Googleing for it GPS coordinates but as far as I could see it practically in Dublin? Anyone know if this is the node that caters for Gorey/Ferns etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yea thats the one. Its pretty handy to see if your driving along the n11 from camolin to Gorey if thats any help pinpointing it for you. I myself can see it and Im just in between camolin and ferns but just barely.

azzeretti wrote:
    I am looking into this too. The girl I spoke to told me to see if I could see Croghan mountain, as thats where their node is. Does anyone know where this is? I tried Googleing for it GPS coordinates but as far as I could see it practically in Dublin? Anyone know if this is the node that caters for Gorey/Ferns etc?
    It's north west of Gorey.

The transmitter is actually in croghan wood and not on the mountain itself.
    Croghan wood is about a mile west of Ballyfad underneath the south facing side of croghan mountain.
    Theres a wide view of North Wexford from that wood as it's circa 1000 ft asl.
    I know that the guys that install permanet are based near Gorey so they'll pretty much know quick enough whether you have a line of sight or not.
    You'd want to be in an unlucky dip not to.
    Croghan mountain is about 2000ft asl so it blocks that tx from much of south west wicklow.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/EI/30/Ballyfad.html
    http://www.tageo.com/index-e-ei-v-30-d-m2142329.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement