Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School wants proof my child is a catholic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ArthurDent wrote:
    .... and its disgusting that kids all around the country are having to be educated in port-a-cabins and some may go through their whole primary education without ever being in a permenant building.

20-30 yrs ago kids were in port-a-cabins and had to be on waiting lists for schools, the majority of which were Catholic. Even as a kid and a teenager I remember it. its not just happened in the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

BostonB wrote:
    20-30 yrs ago kids were in port-a-cabins and had to be on waiting lists for schools, the majority of which were Catholic. Even as a kid and a teenager I remember it. its not just happened in the past few years.
    ahh yes but 20-30 years ago we weren't one of the richest nations in the world.......

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

register her unborn child

My children's primary school enrolment policy started with the line (I'm paraphrasing) "Children may be registered any time after their birth"...

This was to prevent the "it's-Blue-let's-put-their-name-down-for-XYZ-school-now!" syndrome; or even putting their name down when Daddy gets a twinkle in his eye :)

ArthurDent wrote:
    ahh yes but 20-30 years ago we weren't one of the richest nations in the world.......

Whats that got to do with it? The point is, people didn't find out about this overnight, its been like this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

BostonB wrote:
    Whats that got to do with it? The point is, people didn't find out about this overnight, its been like this for years.
    The point is - it was crap that this situation existed 20 years ago, but at least we had the excuse that the economy was in the toilet - now we still have far too many schools (of all flavours and hues BTW) that have crappy accomodation. There is no excuse now for such poor facilities in ANY school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

People do find out about this over night when they start to have children and then find out the lack of options in reguards for schooling in this country.

This Tread is a classic example of just that.

Thaedydal wrote:
    People do find out about this over night when they start to have children and then find out the lack of options in reguards for schooling in this country.

This Tread is a classic example of just that.

Can't agree... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52851081&postcount=252

This thread is about trying to vilify religious schools for some reason when the lack of school places is the Govts fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

BostonB wrote:
    Can't agree... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52851081&postcount=252

This thread is about trying to vilify religious schools for some reason when the lack of school places is the Govts fault.
    Can't agree - This thread is about enabling religious discrimination for a statue-funded service

RainyDay wrote:
    Can't agree - This thread is about enabling religious discrimination for a statue-funded service

Who's enabling it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The other option is to do what many people do:
    Get the child baptised.
    Go to Mass in the couple of months running up to their First Communion.
    Play the game and stay quiet, with the silent majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sorry - What I meant to say was;

Can't agree - This thread is about religious discrimination for a state-funded service which has been enabled and facilitated by the current Government via the 1998 Education Act.
    spurious wrote:
    Get the child baptised.
    Isn't it great to drill a bit of hypocracy into your children at an early age - it just sets them up nicely for their life in our church-ridden society.

spurious wrote:
    Get the child baptised.

I could never do that,
    it dishonours the beliefs of those who are part of the local congration
    and it sets an incredibly bad example for children from what thier 3rd month of thier live when they are fraudulantly baptised.

I could not stand in a church and bear false witness and lie when swearing the oaths to bring my child up as a christain and as a catholic,
    nor should I have to in order to get my chidlren educated.

The system is wrong,but it will not change until poeple question it and demand that it changes and awarness of how things are is the first step.

RainyDay wrote:
    Sorry - What I meant to say was;

Can't agree - This thread is about religious discrimination for a state-funded service which has been enabled and facilitated by the current Government via the 1998 Education Act.

Isn't it great to drill a bit of hypocracy into your children at an early age - it just sets them up nicely for their life in our church-ridden society.

So your saying this thread is about religious discrimination by Government.

But if you look at the OP original post...
    OTK wrote:
    I want to send my kid to the local national school. he is 4 yrs old...

...Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the state paying for sectarian discriminatory schools run by a paedophile club, how am i going to get my kid into the school?.......

Seems like that exactly what its not about. This is about getting you kid in the nearest school even though you vermently disagree with how the school is run, managed and owned. Simply because it closest.

I've been saying all along its the govt fault, but its a situation thats arisen from a historical context, and not something that has arisen overnight.

BostonB if you read a lil more you would have seen OTK retract and say sorry for his inflamatory comments so do not be dragging this thread off topic.

Historically the government did not want to get invovled in what school for what children and so they set up the patronage system which while it was seen a good idea clearly was slanted in favour of the large organisations who set up so many schools.

Yes it has been they way, yes it has been historically the way, but you know what it ain't good enough any more.

It does not meet the needs of parents and children currently or in years to come so there has to be changes made.
    Schools were never an general election issue but they have become one certainly were I live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not clear on the workings of primary school BOMs - if you were to have, say, ten people on a board, and six proposed doing away with the 'religious' nature of the school, to more accurately reflect the true situation (baptismal certs or not), can they do that, or do the religious members of the Board (PP etc.) have a veto?

OTK reopened the thread after 4 months with this comment.
    OTK wrote:
    I met the minister for education recently who seems very together. She has announced a new patronage model for primary schools to be run on a pilot basis. These schools will not choose pupils and teachers on the basis of religion. It's a small step but it's a step in the right direction.
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=10861&pcategory=10861&ecategory=10876&sectionpage=13637&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=34229

Expect to hear more about the role of the church in education when the Dublin Diocese clerical child rape audit is completed.

The retraction was obviously short lived and they felt the need to stir this thread up again.
    OTK wrote:
    ...it is wrong to allow more than 99% of state funded primary schools in Ireland to be operated with pupil and teacher selection policies of open religious discrimination...

I would remind you that your taxes pay the running cost of these schools and that while the church may protest that they own the school buildings, they collected this money from your parents.....

If you consider most religious schools do not discriminate against pupils etc. they'll pretty much accept anyone. Its very rare to hear of cases where they do. Its usually in areas where theres simply not enough school school places for everyone. Thats not a failing of the school or the religion but the govt for not providing enough schools places and allowing rampant overdevelopment of some areas. 90% of schools in Ireland are under church control. This situation didn't happen overnight. If your parents were funding the church you'd certainly be aware of the situation.

Obviously as the population is changing the schools system need to change to reflect those needs. But since you are aware of the situation, and you have a kid what are you going to do? You can't wait for for the entire school system to change over night. If you are so opposed to your child having religious education, or being part of that system at all. You'd think you'd make provisions and make alternative arrangements. For many that means moving to an catchment area of preferred schools, or being on a list from when they are born, or making arrangements to transport the child to and from school.

BostonB wrote:
    If you consider most religious schools do not discriminate against pupils etc. they'll pretty much accept anyone. Its very rare to hear of cases where they do. Its usually in areas where theres simply not enough school school places for everyone.

This has been happening more and more and it is not just in those cases.
    The School due to the system are allowed to discriminate and this country is failing the UN instructions on providing educatin that does not conflict with
    the relgious or non relgious beilfs of thier family.
    BostonB wrote:
    Thats not a failing of the school or the religion but the govt for not providing enough schools places and allowing rampant overdevelopment of some areas. 90% of schools in Ireland are under church control. This situation didn't happen overnight.

Yep it didn't but what the hell has that got to do with getting it changed.
    BostonB wrote:
    If your parents were funding the church you'd certainly be aware of the situation.

We are moving into a society in which the church does not play the central role in people's lives as it once did. Many people are not aware of how things 'were' done and 'are' done.
    BostonB wrote:
    Obviously as the population is changing the schools system need to change to reflect those needs.

Yep but change won't happen with out awareness and while it used to be a small group of people who needed the alternatives (the majority of those got invovled with educate together.
    BostonB wrote:
    But since you are aware of the situation, and you have a kid what are you going to do? You can't wait for for the entire school system to change over night.

It certinaly could happen one act of parliment and the church abiding by it could change it.
    BostonB wrote:
    If you are so opposed to your child having religious education, or being part of that system at all.

The homeschooling movement is starting to grow here and it is allowed under the consituation.
    BostonB wrote:
    You'd think you'd make provisions and make alternative arrangements. For many that means moving to an catchment area of preferred schools, or being on a list from when they are born, or making arrangements to transport the child to and from school.

Again this Assumes that parents know of the situation in reguards to who really run the schools and set thier policies.
    Many do not find out until they are looking at enrollment policies.

Personally I wouldn't wait last minute to realise a child is going to need an education or rely on an act of parliament to get my child into school. The church is serving its own interests because thats what religions do for the most part. I'm surprised thats news to anyone, especially if your anti religion or the current system. The real failure here is the govt inaction to do anything. I hope people remember this come election time.

spurious wrote:
    I'm not clear on the workings of primary school BOMs - if you were to have, say, ten people on a board, and six proposed doing away with the 'religious' nature of the school, to more accurately reflect the true situation (baptismal certs or not), can they do that, or do the religious members of the Board (PP etc.) have a veto?

The patron's own the school and the head of each BOM is the parish priest.
    The BOM can not change the schools charter.

BostonB wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't wait last minute to realise a child is going to need an education or rely on an act of parliament to get my child into school. The church is serving its own interests because thats what religions do for the most part. I'm surprised thats news to anyone, especially if your anti religion or the current system. The real failure here is the govt inaction to do anything. I hope people remember this come election time.

Excuse me but wanting diverity of schools and being against indoctrination of children in school is not being antireligion, religion I think plays an important part in my life that of my shildren and int eh lives of many people but religious beliefs should be tough by teachers in school like math is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Thaedydal wrote:
    The patron's own the school and the head of each BOM is the parish priest.

Not exactly Thaedydal, in a catholic school under the patronage of the diocese or archdiocese (as in Dublin), the archbishop has two appointments to the board, one of these will be the chairperson and in most cases that does turn out to be the local P.P, but there are quite a large number of lay people performing that role.
    The other six positions are;
    two members of the local community.
    two teachers (one being the principal)
    two parents representatives.

All thankless positions may i add.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Excuse me but wanting diverity of schools and being against indoctrination of children in school is not being antireligion, religion I think plays an important part in my life that of my shildren and int eh lives of many people but religious beliefs should be tough by teachers in school like math is.

I never said it was. I was making the point if you are against something you must know something of it. Otherwise how do you know you are against it. Be that religion or the system. Perhaps is a silly example. But is is a bit like not wanting a child to learn Irish. You check out before hand that school could, facilitate that.

In my experience thats how religion is taught here. Like maths its a separate subject. A pretty random and an irregular one at that. Who do you think teaches it in a school if not the teacher? :confused:

I wonder are their many people who are anti religion in the school system, sitting on a faith schools BOM. That would be interesting. I would think they'd get involved a non faith school first. Maybe not depending on what was in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I spent the whole day 12 hours reading down this thread and seen about al lot of misconceptions and false accusations about the school that OTK wanted to send his kid to a school in which he did not retract at any stage is run by pedophiles club.
    So there was two issues in this thread which started by OTK.

1/. He wants to send his child to the school next door to him (Private Catholic School)
    2/.The school requested a piece of paper proving that the kids are catholic.
    3/. The school is run by pedophiles

I go on with my experiences of going through Private Catholic School system and my thoughts of the Catholic religion, so you have my position before reading I think of you OTK.

As you know by reading this thread that There is not many Public schools in Ireland as most are private, most do act as public until numbers reach maximum.

There are incidences in both religions, but the rules and regulation on religion is largely ignored nowadays, but not all.

Some one mentioned Gaelscoil was run by republicans. This is untrue, even though republicans tried to hi-jack it for their cause. The local Gaelscoil is any but republican. They teach all types of music, more non-Irish sports, and learning French in addition to Irish and English in primary school alone. I was in the normal Catholics school and barely got through at the time.

If the Private Catholic school is rejecting a catholic (one of there own) so they can let your kid in (non-catholic), would that be unfair to the kid of their own religion? What signals does this send to their faith?

The schools who use the catholic ethos to reject others alone are actually degrading their own ethos as tolerance, respect, love for others is suppose to be practiced.

[B Yes Moslems/ Protestants /Jewish and one voodoo child (I know) have been in Private catholic schools and Yes the priest knew the kids and their parents and was getting on well with them. If a catholic priest and a Moslem imam can talk without fighting and the Moslem kid going to a private catholic school, I am sure for your child sake that you can get on with the school principal.[/B]

He (priest) practices what he preached. I have great respect for him, unlike his predecessor, who was very ill-tolerant and harsh for anyone he disapproves off. The new priest increased numbers going to church (not by much), which was going against the trend nowadays. His predecessor nearly wiped out the church.
    Today they are more non-practicing Catholics attending these private Catholics schools, they are just as much as pagans (in the priest eyes), but he does not reject them. Again this is hypocritical if he rejects them on that basis alone. His job as my uncle (A different Priest in US) says “Their duty is to guide the flock not punish them, you cannot punish them and still expect them to listen to you”. Unfortunately this is not practice by all priests and take the harsh (non-Christian/humanity) methods. Generally now the priest does very little in running the school day to day ends but only help in financial and other functions that the school needs. It the school principal, who has the final say on that matter, these days. After all, it is them who deals directly with the kids. Talk to them directly and be nice. It helps not to be degrading when dealing with them. The more they know you the better chances they will accept your child.

This is a huge change when I was going to school, when we saw blacks only on television and was surprise to see them in person. We have grown a long way since then. Another child from a neighboring parish moving to our school was big news then.

As for the church itself, more the bishops, and upwards are guilty of systematically and comprehensively covered the abuses up. It only did more harm to the church and proves that they could not be trusted and hypocrisies. Remember, there are lots of Priests out there who were very against this approach from the every beginning, when they found out and were force to shut up or leave the church. This is another argument for another thread. Thankfully today the abuse is been uncovered and things are moving forward.

There is one comment that in a school that the priest and teacher is covering up an abuse by other teachers. Report any abuse to the Guards. This is a civil matter. Abuse is not religion thing. Abusing children is not acceptable in any society or religion and by ME. You think that the ones who are covering it up know better by now, but by covering it up only implicate them as abusers too by allowing it to happen. It is their choice as human being, not the faith decisions.
    Pedophiles are always attracted to any position of POWER. Wherever it involves power covers such as parents/religion/sports/Guards/teachers/bosses etc. And also Yes, power has gotten to individuals within the church and corrupted them and some took hard line, because there was no alternative to them (you need to read up on the history to understand this fully). I call this short term gain (total control) and long term pain (the disaster that they have now), in which the church is now been punished for their misdeeds.

½ and hour a day was very small for a religious school.I was taught to love, tolerate, forgive and respect others (in huge letters on the wall) in religion (catholic) class no matter what they are and this was back in the old days (80s) when the church had total rule in schools. Another moto “Love one another, love your enemy as your friend”. To do that you need to have understanding, why they hate you, even though you do not agree with it. I was brought up as catholic and I still have issues with it because of the decisions that have been made that do not follow the basic teaching that was taught. Never in my history on this planet did a priest ever ask me to degrade or to exclude others. To do so is to go against the Pope/Jesus teaching. I know of priest who have lambasted others publicly, but they have now been publicly humiliated for hypocrisy, and now living a solitary life, not of his own choosing. People are not listening to him now because of his hypocrisy. It was society/individuals who abuse their positions, not the religion who preaches abuse of others. It was not the church who tried to have me abusing others but other people who where not happy/Good self esteem/comfortable with themselves who had hatred/jealousy of others.

As a person who have difficulties with the church, I still believe that The church who did great service to this country over the last few hundred years for our education, when the state failed and kept going when we were immigration in droves going out of the country. The Politicians at the beginning of the state made the easy decision to finance these schools because there was an educational system was already in place. It made their job very easy.

It is always your choice to send your kids to a private (religious) school today that is under severe pressure to accept a large number of kids where space is limited. This issue is only cropping up now because our economy improved a lot and people are immigrating here to what was a predominately a Christian country. A huge baby boom and a lot of people who have lost their faith are now looking to have their children in these private (religious) schools because it is convenient close to them.

The Politicians have since done nothing to resolve this because the parents that is affecting did not ask them to start a new PUBLIC school system in their area when they first had kids. (4 years + pregnancy time) is a long time for any parents & Politicians to get off their asses to do something about it. Some parent have why did you wait so long?

Also remember in the private Catholics schools, the priest must come up with the shortfall of funds by raising it through generous donations. There are always looking for donations for school repair / school supplies / school upkeep and salaries that the state does not fully supplies the funds no matter what the Politicians say. Book keeping for the school is fully audited so that the priest/principal cannot take blame if funds go missing. If people donate to a religion or any organized it does not mean they have a say what to do with it, unless the collector says if for X. Because it when to Y then that when problems arise. Either way OP, It does not mean you can bash them for it, if other people choose to donate to them, it is their choice.

As for the private school itself you have an issue with, the more dishonest you are with them, the more likely they will refuse your child, because if you are dishonest or disruptive or ill-tolerance, it will reflect on the child and when they need to talk to you in the future. The process is more about you than your kid. The reason is that if your child is in trouble, they need to be able to talk to you about it in a reasonable manner. Catholics kids have been expelled from Catholics private schools for this reason. Remember it is not easy dealing with abusive kids, who are having problems at home or elsewhere, and many teachers do not have training with this!

Your Dishonesty, disruptiveness and ill-tolerance will only serves to punish your child by your actions and you will end up driving your child long distances every day. Remember you are trying to send your child to a private school closest to you, Therefore you need to change (not convert religion, that is always your choice) your attitude toward the school. If you believe that the Private Catholic School is still abusing kids, then why on earth would you send your kids to that school? If this is true then it is bad parenting on your part for trying to get your kids in there in the first place. By placing an application at the school doorstep, you are approving it present methods and standards. If your kids is accepted, you have a choice to ask if your kid is kept out of religion class or not force the child to learn the subject (not to have your child feeling left out).
    If you do not want to drive long distances, to send you kids to a school, which is acceptable for you, then move closer to it.

At the end of the Day, the Politicians are still using private schools to get them out of trouble. That decision is now only coming to affect you because nobody predicted that the population would lose their faith and that others, of other non/faiths would be immigrated here. The church is taking still taking responsibility for the education of children of all faiths, because the state has not supplied the infracture (buildings and land).
    Why should the government take control of a private run institution (schools) which is the churches property, instead setting up a parallel educational system and allowing people to choose? How would you like if the government took your property/business because they did not like your policies. Also just because your child is baptized so you can get it enrolled into a school, does not mean you child is a practicing Christian. As One Jew puts it, “A baptized Jew is still a Jew.”

We are not the US who has both public and private and it is the parents’ decision to use either. A private school (no matter what religion or institute) has a right to accept who they want no matter where they are. It has been proven over and over again that non-catholic faith children have been accepted to these private catholic schools here in Ireland. It is only a problem to those who are ill-tolerant because they do not get what they want or they want a close society. It is not the Private Catholic School who happens to be closes to you that you are not Catholic. It not the Private Catholic School fault that there isn’t an alternative for you. They have picked up the slack when the government failed miserably for not setting up a public state sponsored educational system in the first place. They have served this country well in this regards.
    So Know this, The Politicians jobs are up for renewal this summer and they are looking for your VOTE, and do let them know that they will be back looking for your VOTE in five years or less.

You have a problem with a Private school is doing things. So how you would like it if I do not like the way you are raising your child and I got state intervention to change that? You probably hate me.
    The best way to deal with this problem is to have a parallel educational system

After I got to the 11 page I saw this after OTK ranting and raging
    OTK wrote:
    I told the school today that my wife had made a mistake and that the child was not baptised. I asked if this made any difference and they laughed and said no, that they choose on the basis of living close to the school and first come first served (you have to queue early in the morning on a certain date as my wife did). They told me there were 'plenty' of unbaptised children in the school who didn't take part in first communion.

Well I am afraid I will have to dismount from my high horse as my assumptions based on being asked for a baptismal cert were completely wrong. :o
    After all the school was not racist against non-Catholics and how does OP feels about sending the school which is run by let me quote him and did not retract
    OTK wrote:
    Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the state paying for sectarian discriminatory schools run by a paedophile club, how am i going to get my kid into the school?
    You do not need to be a catholic priest to abuse children and to call all priests pedophile is outrageous! It like calling all Jews Nazi’s just because several jew co-operative with the Nazi’s. There are fathers of daughters raping their kids, Can I call you a pedophile because fathers rape their children. You will agree with me and say No I cannot.
    OTK wrote:
    I don't think raping children with gay abandon for decades was warranted and I don't think the fact that this organisation covered it up and received no sanction beyond their negotiated indemnity bond was warranted. But hey that's just me.
    Again you accusing all priest are rapists. And not all religions are organizations and many other organizations such as sports do have a similar problem. Wasn’t there swimmer coach who periodly raped young girls in Dublin. Does this mean we should ban all coaches from swimming, wasn’t there acover up there too?
    So are you going to call all father rapist too, afterall some fathers raped their daughters and their wifes looked on. The mothers covered it up too. Should we ban all parent from raising their kids, because of a few rapist and cover-up artists.

Why on earth are you sending your kids to this private Catholic school if you believe this. Knowingly sending your kids to a “paedophile club” as you stated is making you worst than the “paedophiles club” that cover up paedophiles behavior. This is bad parenting on your part.

And then there is this comment
    OTK wrote:
    Are they not run by republicans? Is this a misconception?
    This was to a response to a question “Is there a Gaelscoil in your area, they tend to be less religious.
    OTK wrote:
    I think this would be a less divided country if we let our children attend school together regardless of religious affiliation of the parents and to let religious matters be attened to outside of the school gate by the respective churches. I would again urge anyone who feels that it is wrong to allow more than 99% of state funded primary schools in Ireland to be operated with pupil and teacher selection policies of open religious discrimination to write to the minister Mary Hanafin.

I would remind you that your taxes pay the running cost of these schools and that while the church may protest that they own the school buildings, they collected this money from your parents.
    Yes the government gives money to the church to provide a service because they cannot or bother their arses up to now to do it themselves, and that is questionable. This is very unfair of you to blame one party and then get into bed with the true culprits of your problem in the first place.

I may not agree with the actions of the hierarchy of Catholic church on their practices and behavior, but they provided me with basic morals such as tolerance, forgive, respect and love which is the basic of Jesus teaching, in which many in the church hierarchy failed.

Remember the government and a lot of other people cover-up a lot of abuses too and just as guilty.
    At the end of the day it is society who ignored the abuses for so long and now looking for easy scape goats.

And Thaedydal OTK did not retract his “paedophile club” comments, as you stated to BostonB on page 15. I been reading this huge thread and re-looked over it several times. He only stated that the school let in his kid and that the school did not care if his kid is catholic.

I have edit this section of your post. If you have an issue with the moderation in this forum start a thread in
    feedback also my personal religion has no place being bandied about in this forum. Thaedydal

The biggest thing I have a problem with OTK is his parenting skills. I will always condemn any parent who knowingly sends their child to a school or anywhere where they believe is run by pedophile/s. where the children becomes in contact with where will be raped. This is gross incompetent on his part.

Just to repeat and summarized my views about my Private Catholic run schools.
    The schools run by the most part as a public school until numbers get too large or space for kids are full. Otherwise they do not reject kids of any faith or none, and they do not teach these non-catholic kids about religion unless they have the permission of the parents. The church picks up the responsibility because the State failed miserably from the beginning of the State and still continues since then. I am not happy with the current approach of the state, but instead leaves it in the hands of others to do the work for them. Stating that not all state –Public Schools in other countries has been successful compare to private school.

The main culprit for not having a public school is the State – Otherwise the government, and us the citizens of this country who voted for them.

deisemum wrote:
    There is still a lot of child abuse going on in primary schools in this country.
    What's sickening about it is that it's still being covered up and when parents want to take things further they are threatened in some of the worst possible ways. It is more widespread than a lot of parents realise.

This post has already stated the high percentage of schools that are under the different religious control. Most Chairpersons on Board of Managements are normally the local parish priest. Parents reps haven't much of a voice on them as it's stacked against them. Usually the members of the outer community are invited onto the BOM by the principal and/or parish priest. In my area it's usually principals from other schools. They will do everything possible to cover up any allegation.

The sooner the better religion is taken out of the classroom.
    Why do you not report this to the guards? Any abuse must be reported and the children be protected.

As for the regilion, is has been mentioned over this entire thread. The school is a private Catholic school, it has a right to teach it kids it own regilion just as moslems and jew and any other regilion do! There are options for You already mentioned in this thread.

turbot wrote:
    I've got an idea:

Step 1) Find a good graphic designer

Step 2) Make up a new religion with "catholic in the title". It's probably more effective if it's a bit obscure. Maybe "Sempre Fi Catholic". (Sempre Fi is a marine term). As part of your religion, choose a foreign place where one of the churches is based; maybe somewhere unusual, though not so much as to arouse curiosity.

Step 3) Officially baptise your child, into this new religion, in the bath, using a ceremony you made up.

Step 4) Ask your graphic designer to create an interesting certificate, using vellum paper (that you should be able to buy off ebay). Be a bit elaborate. Get some interesting caligraphy done referencing this obscure foreign church. Possibly the less readable the whole thing is, the better.

Present the certificate!

Problem solved, at least in terms of getting into the school, and since you made up your religion, it's not fraud, it's innovation.

Next you want to insulate your childs mind from the sociological programming. This may be achievable by telling him it's all a trick designed to take his power away... and making sure that MTV, and Sky TV are readily available.

Optional advanced steps:

Step 5) Watch a bunch of preachers on american TV, especially overly enthusiastic, slightly obnoxious ones.

Step 6) Present the certificate & apply what you learned from these preachers, in a rather overbearing manner. It's fairly easy to sound like you're a believer based upon what you've seen in your life.

Step 7) Say as part of your particular faith, that your child will be doing his first holy communinion, etc, outside of the school.

May the force be with you.
    I had a good laugh at this, me soup nearly cover me laptop. well done.

BostonB wrote:
    In my experience thats how religion is taught here. Like maths its a separate subject. A pretty random and an irregular one at that. Who do you think teaches it in a school if not the teacher? :confused:

It should be taught by the childs parent's and reilious community to the child.

There is a difference between facts and beliefs and to have beliefs taught as facts to children in school and along side such things as the earth is round and 2+2 =4 is wrong esp when there are children of other denominations and religions in the class.

Schools should teach good morals and about religions which can be done with out the indoctrination.

lmklad wrote:
    He (priest) practices what he preached. I have great respect for him, unlike his predecessor, who was very ill-tolerant and harsh for anyone he disapproves off. The new priest increased numbers going to church (not by much), which was going against the trend nowadays. His predecessor nearly wiped out the church.
    Today they are more non-practicing Catholics attending these private Catholics schools, they are just as much as pagans (in the priest eyes), but he does not reject them. Again this is hypocritical if he rejects them on that basis alone. His job as my uncle (A different Priest in US) says “Their duty is to guide the flock not punish them, you cannot punish them and still expect them to listen to you”. Unfortunately this is not practice by all priests and take the harsh (non-Christian/humanity) methods. Generally now the priest does very little in running the school day to day ends but only help in financial and other functions that the school needs. It the school principal, who has the final say on that matter, these days. After all, it is them who deals directly with the kids. Talk to them directly and be nice. It helps not to be degrading when dealing with them. The more they know you the better chances they will accept your child.

Sure they want the 'pagan' kids and non catholic kids to top up the money needed to run the school; the school gets a grant per child in it from the Dept of education.
    Also by the time 'Holy communion' comes around the children will be pestering thier parents about why they can't make thier holyu communion as well.
    I know parents that gave into such pressures and then had thier child baptised and made a memeber of the church so they could have thier 'day' with the rest of the class and sure isn't that more numbers for the catholic church and another soul saved.
    lmklad wrote:
    This is a huge change when I was going to school, when we saw blacks only on television and was surprise to see them in person. We have grown a long way since then. Another child from a neighboring parish moving to our school was big news then.

It has been a change but many of those coming from the Sudan and Nigera are christains and indeed catholics. Children of Non national parents are not automatically not catholic or christian.
    lmklad wrote:
    It is always your choice to send your kids to a private (religious) school today/

How much of a choice is it when 96% of all the primary schools in teh country are christian and majoritally catholic ?

[quotelmklad) This issue is only cropping up now because our economy improved a lot and people are immigrating here to what was a predominately a Christian country. A huge baby boom and a lot of people who have lost their faith are now looking to have their children in these private (religious) schools because it is convenient close to them.[/quote]

Nope we have always in this country not catered for children who were not of a certain christain faith. There have always been children be they jewish, islamic, jeovah's witness ect who have shunted to one side while religios intrucation went on in the class and who have to with thier parent struggle against the indoctrination and have converstaions about how teacher is right about everything exept about hell and heaven and who goes there and how does things do apply to the rest of the children in the class but not to them.

Those so called private religious school are the mainstream schools in this country and yes this needs to change that is what this thread is about.

Lmklad enough of the sensationalist posting about child abuse you have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

OTK wrote:
    Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the state paying for sectarian discriminatory schools run by a paedophile club, how am i going to get my kid into the school?OTK

Haven't read any replies but i would just like to say that i hope you don't raise you children with such a prejudice opinion.

And second they probable just want a birth cirt to prove identity or hat he lives in the parish if there is a waiting list.

Your ideas,

1)Making a mockery of a religious ceramony that does still carry meaning to a good many people.

2)<sarc>No, falsifying(sp?) personal documents is not illegal at all.</sarc>

Thaedydal wrote:
    It should be taught by the childs parent's and reilious community to the child.

There is a difference between facts and beliefs and to have beliefs taught as facts to children in school and along side such things as the earth is round and 2+2 =4 is wrong esp when there are children of other denominations and religions in the class.

Schools should teach good morals and about religions which can be done with out the indoctrination.

You have the choice to bring your child to a non religious school. It will take effort but its up to the individual if they think its worth the effort and if their views are that strongly opposed to the system in any specific school. Also children often have the choice of not sitting in RE class if thats what the parents wish, and the school can facilitate it. If the school does not facilitate it don't put you kids in that school. I don't see whats hard about that.

You must object to all faith schools then, because they indoctrinate their religion?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Sure they want the 'pagan' kids and non catholic kids to top up the money needed to run the school; the school gets a grant per child in it from the Dept of education.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Also by the time 'Holy communion' comes around the children will be pestering thier parents about why they can't make thier holyu communion as well.
    I know parents that gave into such pressures and then had thier child baptised and made a memeber of the church so they could have thier 'day' with the rest of the class and sure isn't that more numbers for the catholic church and another soul saved.
    There was a Protestants in my school, he did not have a problem and got on well with us nor did any of my friends who grew up here with him. He even played GAA. He understood because their parents told them the story.
    So did many of my friends at work and college, from various different faiths. They have different experiences that you have.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    It has been a change but many of those coming from the Sudan and Nigera are christains and indeed catholics. Children of Non national parents are not automatically not catholic or christian.
    Actually there have been several black people in ireland over the years
    Paul McGrath is one. He was mistreated by society in his youth.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    How much of a choice is it when 96% of all the primary schools in teh country are christian and majoritally catholic ?

Nope we have always in this country not catered for children who were not of a certain christain faith. There have always been children be they jewish, islamic, jeovah's witness ect who have shunted to one side while religios intrucation went on in the class and who have to with thier parent struggle against the indoctrination and have converstaions about how teacher is right about everything exept about hell and heaven and who goes there and how does things do apply to the rest of the children in the class but not to them.
    You cannot blame the church for taken up responsibility for education the kids and providing a service for the government mis-handling for this matter, Yes the government Failed and should provide choices for parents. It was society in this country who alienated the others. If you look at Catholics in other countries experiences, you will see this clear differences in how they treated each other.
    Thaedydal wrote:

Those so called private religious school are the mainstream schools in this country and yes this needs to change that is what this thread is about.
    Thaedydal wrote:

Lmklad enough of the sensationalist posting about child abuse you have been warned.

On the OP first Post he slander the whole church for the actions of the few by calling it a club, since you did not clearly read my entire post and reread the whole thread you would have seen I had the right to mentioned it. And OP sensationalist the child abuse by calling the one running the school "Pedophiles club" for that action of the few members who were carrying out the attacks and covering things up. If an OP comment is true wouldn't we all be raped!! I will not apologies for my comments or view into OTK lack of parenthood choices because he wanted to send his kid to the school next door to a school he says it run by "Pedophiles club" just because he want the easy way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement