Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HD vs. HD w/ Enclosure

Options
  • 09-10-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I want to get a hard drive that i can bring to college for use with the computer i have there (a Dell Optiplex GX260, with IDE hard drives and one USB 2.0 port), my laptop and my PC at home. This will allow me listen to music on my work PC, download stuff and carry work home, etc. rather than transferring stuff around via a USB key (a big one) or using my laptop as a "go-between" machine.

So, Im just wondering which would be better, an external HD or a SATA drive in an enclosure?

I like the look of the WD external drives (250 GB for 110 euro), however an internal drive would be nice since when im done working here in a year (or so) i can just stick it into my PC without any hassle. However, komplett have a fairly woeful selection of enclosures and i dont know which ones are any good.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Only prob with those IDE/Sata external drives is the PSU u need to carry around with them... I'd get a 60+gig 2.5" drive n a usb caddy. Drive will be powered direct from the usb port n they're nice n portable...

Nice 120gig one here
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324975

Advertisement