Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Edmunds, Liffey Valley

Options
  • 09-10-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the new housing development at Liffey Valley?? I sent an e-mail earlier enquiring about Affordable Housing in this development and was told that they won't be coming on stream until next year!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

its an estate being built in Lucan. It's being auctioneered by Hamilton Osbourne King and doubt it will be used for affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.stedmunds.ie for more information

I live in Liffey Valley Park (large estate across the road), so I'll withhold my opinion on the location :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote:

I live in Liffey Valley Park (large estate across the road), so I'll withhold my opinion on the location :)

Lucan is a nice area. Lots of green space all around you. Only bad thing I would say is that there is some disadvantaged areas close by.

Wasnt there talk of a drug centre some where up there as well

seamus wrote:

Liffey Valley Park is not a bad area I live in a cul de sac close to Mt Andrew thats a very nice estate too :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jakkass wrote:
    Liffey Valley Park is not a bad area I live in a cul de sac close to Mt Andrew thats a very nice estate too :)

Lots of people from Lucan here. I remember when where your house now is was just a field!

Another bad thing about Liffey Valley Park area is the traffic. People use it as a rat run and is always busy

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:
    Wasnt there talk of a drug centre some where up there as well
    There's a section of land directly across the road from the main entrance to St. Edmunds. Planning permission has been granted for a drug treatment clinic (along with a pharmacy and creche): http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&ref=SD02A/0449

Personally, I'm not mad about the location. It's as far on the edge of Lucan as it could possibly be, and I wouldn't be too surprised if An Post decided to put it in Palmerstown or Clondalkin. The traffic on St. Loman's road and onto the N4 is bad at peak times (and on weekends), and putting another development here doesn't help.

There's a permanent traveller's camp beside the development. Wouldn't bother me too much, except that often (especially in Winter) they light large fires, leaving the entire Quarryvale area covered in smoke and stinking like burning tyres.

There are two options for busses from the area - walk to Liffey Valley/Clondalkin, or walk back towards Lucan and get a 25/66. Either way, you're walking for 15-20 minutes to get a bus. A good idea would be another pedestrian flyover on the N4 - this would allow you to walk across and get a 25 or 66 on their way into town. You're not going to cross the N4 to get a bus. Ever.
    The busses are generally packed, though X's come in the mornings and evenings. Getting a bus from the City Centre to Lucan is the most boringly painful experience you can imagine. Taxis will cost you the guts of €20 into town, and €25 if you want to get anywhere else on the Southside.

The section of Outer Ring road going to Lucan will be completed in the next three months. Whether this will make the traffic better or worse, no-one can say. I think it'll make the traffic in the area generally heavier, but will help the traffic move better.

I've lived in Liffey Valley park for the last six years. A large proportion of the houses are rented by the Eastern Health board. Who they're rented to, is something I can't say. But there are a lot of renters from the EHB. St. Edmunds will probably be similar.

With all that said, Lucan is a nice area if you have a family. There's plenty of green space, plenty of schools which look decent, and loads of different associations for all kinds of sports and activities dotted all over the place. It doesn't suit me because it's miles from where I grew up, and I've generally not taken a shine to it.

kearnsr wrote:
    Lots of people from Lucan here. I remember when where your house now is was just a field!

Another bad thing about Liffey Valley Park area is the traffic. People use it as a rat run and is always busy
    nah the cul de sac was older than Mt Andrew it isnt part of the estate.

about the outer ring road is that where they are digging up outside Eurospar or is that part of it.

Jakkass wrote:
    about the outer ring road is that where they are digging up outside Eurospar or is that part of it.
    Yeah. It's going to join the N4 up with Kingswood (Tallaght) - dual carraugeway all the way. It's already fully built up as far as Grange castle. The bit they're doing at the moment is joining up Foxborough with Grange castle.

You can see the bit that's already built on Google maps. Hopefully it'll be a good alternative route for getting from Lucan to Tallaght, to avoid the M50.

The intention is an eventual bigger road outside of the M50, but I'd say it'll be few years before they push it as far as the N3 and N81.

its a brilliant idea, the road is meant to join the Naas Rd near Citywest anyway so you could use the link road from Citywest to the N81 from that junction and it would be perfect for skipping from Blessington practically to Lucan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jakkass wrote:
    its a brilliant idea, the road is meant to join the Naas Rd near Citywest anyway so you could use the link road from Citywest to the N81 from that junction and it would be perfect for skipping from Blessington practically to Lucan.

It'll be another rat run before we know what has happened.
    Keep in mind that there are another 23,400 dwellings with planning permission (some built already but unoccuppied) in the Lucan area. This is equal to around 35,000 more cars....... however bad the N4 is at the moment, its going to get a hell of a lot worse. It took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get from Ulster Bank at the Old Liffey Bridge past Woodies on Monday last week (if I crawled on my hands and knees I'd probably have been quicker.....)
    I grew up around Lucan myself and am very dissappointed that it has morphed into a monster.

Group of Polish and Latvian town planners on tour in Lucan in this week at the invitation of the EU Commission to see the effects of bad town planning. Apparently we are being held up to the rest of Europe as an example of what not to do.......

Its not as though we can commute without driving a lot of the time- we simply do not have a viable public transport system. The biggest joke of all is the new train station in Adamstown- when Kildare Town has build 13,500 new houses on the strength of the advertised increase in train capacity. I suppose they could put people on the roof Indian style......

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote:
    It'll be another rat run before we know what has happened.
    Keep in mind that there are another 23,400 dwellings with planning permission (some built already but unoccuppied) in the Lucan area. This is equal to around 35,000 more cars....... however bad the N4 is at the moment, its going to get a hell of a lot worse. It took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get from Ulster Bank at the Old Liffey Bridge past Woodies on Monday last week (if I crawled on my hands and knees I'd probably have been quicker.....)
    I grew up around Lucan myself and am very dissappointed that it has morphed into a monster.

Group of Polish and Latvian town planners on tour in Lucan in this week at the invitation of the EU Commission to see the effects of bad town planning. Apparently we are being held up to the rest of Europe as an example of what not to do.......

Its not as though we can commute without driving a lot of the time- we simply do not have a viable public transport system. The biggest joke of all is the new train station in Adamstown- when Kildare Town has build 13,500 new houses on the strength of the advertised increase in train capacity. I suppose they could put people on the roof Indian style......

Lucan is a disater planning wise.

The amount of dodgy deals that got some of the estates built was unreal.

The traffic figures for the N4 were reached decades before they should have been. THis can be blamed on many things but many think it was the Celtic Tiger and the fact that people had more money to buy more cars.

A bit off course but if people are thinking of moving to Lucan they should be taking this into account if they want to buy here.

I'd love to buy in Lucan. I didnt in the end and ended up in Lexlip.

They need to level Lucan and start all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think the developers ARE planning to release some units for Social Housing next year? I sent them an e-mail and that's what they told me......?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kearnsr wrote:
    They need to level B]new[/B Lucan and start all over again

Sorry, I just wanted to differentiate between the two.

There is nothing wrong planning wise with Lucan village. It is more than able to support its own infrastructure. The bloat with the new housing estates is causing the infrastructure (roads in particular) to fail.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Having grown up in Lucan I've watched it grow beyond recognition. I still refer to the houses behind the Foxhunter as being the 'new' estates and still tell people I'll meet them at 'Big J' on the corner of Woodview and Hillcrest :rolleyes: :)

The problem with development in Lucan really has been that lots of new houses were needed quickly and Lucan had the space. Instead of planning logically and determining the best way to improve the infrastructure, the local councils and the Governement decided to bang up a load of housing estates with very little thought towards the future impact on the thousands of new and existing commuters in the area. I loved growing up in Lucan but these days I feel sorry for anyone trying to live there and get to work in 'town' ;):(

nereid wrote:
    Sorry, I just wanted to differentiate between the two.

There is nothing wrong planning wise with Lucan village. It is more than able to support its own infrastructure. The bloat with the new housing estates is causing the infrastructure (roads in particular) to fail.

L.

Yeah your right but with traffic generated by new Lucan it will affect old Lucan and its surrounding area. Old Lucan wasnt built with future expansion.

I remember going to Holland to a place called Almera Haven (sp) which was built on reclaimed land. It was planned well. You can get every by bike as its harder by car. The place is probably no older than new Lucan. Maybe a bit older. But if they could do it why couldnt we (I think we all know the answer to that!)

The two places are the two extreems of good town planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The developers have said this is Palmerstown. :eek:
    In reality it is actually Clondalkin or was at one stage in the past ;)

Well unfortunately, do to the 'stigma' of association with Rowlagh and Neilstown, Clondalkin is not deemde to be a fashionable loaction to live in so developers are desperately slapping the title Lucan and Palmertown on anything that is borderline.

Maybe when the postcode system is complete this will change a few things. We'll see...

Well- if you check you will find that St. Edmunds (and all behind there) was in actual fact Neilstown- until a certain FF politician, recently departed, had a chat with An Post and persuaded them to call it Lucan.......

Yes, though, Clondalkin (and all of D22) is considered very unfashionable- having a Palmerstown or Lucan tag on your address is considered by builders to add 7-10k to the price of a FTB property.....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

TheMonster wrote:
    The developers have said this is Palmerstown. :eek:
    In reality it is actually Clondalkin or was at one stage in the past ;)

The developers have taken to calling it 'Palmerston'. The least they could do if they are going to fiddle the address to add a few bob to the selling price is get it right. Last I checked Palmerston was out around Ranelage or Rathgar somewhere

squrm wrote:
    The developers have taken to calling it 'Palmerston'. The least they could do if they are going to fiddle the address to add a few bob to the selling price is get it right. Last I checked Palmerston was out around Ranelage or Rathgar somewhere

That particular debate has been going on for years. The council erected signs for 'Palmerston' in what had previously always been 'Palmerstown'. I think Palmertown residents are still fighting this one!

Same in Lucan where signs for 'Dodsboro' were replaced with 'Doddsborough' thus further Anglicising the name :(

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote:
    Well- if you check you will find that St. Edmunds (and all behind there) was in actual fact Neilstown- until a certain FF politician, recently departed, had a chat with An Post and persuaded them to call it Lucan.......

Yes, though, Clondalkin (and all of D22) is considered very unfashionable- having a Palmerstown or Lucan tag on your address is considered by builders to add 7-10k to the price of a FTB property.....

I thought that said FF politician was found to have taken money to lobby An Post to change the addresses but they didnt and the developers called it want they wanted any ways.

What parish is St Edmunds? Probably Lucan South. I never knew Neilstown went as far as here as Neilstown is the fare side of Clondalkin isnt it? St Edmunds was always the land along the Liffey by the old Lucan Road and where St Edmunds estate is the old Lomans land.

r3nu4l wrote:
    That particular debate has been going on for years. The council erected signs for 'Palmerston' in what had previously always been 'Palmerstown'. I think Palmertown residents are still fighting this one!

Same in Lucan where signs for 'Dodsboro' were replaced with 'Doddsborough' thus further Anglicising the name :(

Isnt there a Palerstwon and Palerston in Dublin? Two totaly different places

kearnsr wrote:
    Isnt there a Palerstwon and Palerston in Dublin? Two totaly different places

Could be, don't know! All I know is that the residents of Palmerstown (home of Superdome bowling alley and the Silver Granite) were annoyed to find signs for 'Palmerston' erected on the N4.

Probably councils recycling road signs or else a genuine mistake, although I do remember that they had a fight on their hands to get the signs changed, not sure if they succeeded. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

r3nu4l wrote:

Yep, as a former resident it was always a bone of contention that the name was suddenly changed to correspond with a road sign! A local councillor took it up & as far as I'm aware its been changed back to Palmerstown. Couldn't swear on that though :)

kearnsr wrote:
    I thought that said FF politician was found to have taken money to lobby An Post to change the addresses but they didnt and the developers called it want they wanted any ways.

What parish is St Edmunds? Probably Lucan South. I never knew Neilstown went as far as here as Neilstown is the fare side of Clondalkin isnt it? St Edmunds was always the land along the Liffey by the old Lucan Road and where St Edmunds estate is the old Lomans land.

Neilstown was both sides of the long road towards Clondalkin from the N4 (Aldi/the school/NCT testing centre etc- along with a lot of the housing estates there now (over as far as Eurospar) were all considered Neilstown or Clondalkin- Lucan proper ended at Balgaddy......

Neilstown was not/ is not on the farside of Clondalkin (well I guess it depends on what you mean by the far side......)

smccarrick wrote:
    Neilstown was both sides of the long road towards Clondalkin from the N4 (Aldi/the school/NCT testing centre etc- along with a lot of the housing estates there now (over as far as Eurospar) were all considered Neilstown or Clondalkin- Lucan proper ended at Balgaddy......

Neilstown was not/ is not on the farside of Clondalkin (well I guess it depends on what you mean by the far side......)

The very start of that is at first roundabout by the Arc. If you are heading towards Clondalkin the development is on the right which I thought was alwasys Lucan. When you get to the comerical area then you are out side Lucan.

Thats what I thought anyways.

Is there any where you can check up on this?

isn't it not being built on the old lands of St Lomans Hospital? surely it would be Lucan anyway if it was.

Jakkass wrote:
    isn't it not being built on the old lands of St Lomans Hospital? surely it would be Lucan anyway if it was.

Thats the point I'm trying to make

Just googled Lomans Hospital and it appears its not in Lucan

St Lomans Hospital

• Advertisement

Palmerston is a small (very exclusive) area between Rathgar and Ranelagh. Palmerstown is a significantly larger piece of the city adjacent to Lucan/Clondalkin.

Strangely, the latest version of the OS maps list it as "Palmerston". I'd say it's a clerical error overall, since all of the roads in the area are still "Palmerstown Avenue/Park/Etc".

Any question of the placement of St Edmund's will probably be resolved by An Post when the first phase is complete. Personally I'd say the entrance off St. Loman's Road will just sneak it into Lucan. If they'd added a slip/roundabout to get in and out at the N4, it would probably be Clondalkin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement