Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Edmunds, Liffey Valley

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote:

Any question of the placement of St Edmund's will probably be resolved by An Post when the first phase is complete. Personally I'd say the entrance off St. Loman's Road will just sneak it into Lucan. If they'd added a slip/roundabout to get in and out at the N4, it would probably be Clondalkin.

If they put an entrance/exit on to the N4 say where the exisiting Lomans entrance is wouldnt that be more Lucan than Clondalkin?

Just abit off topic but there is some amount of Mods from Lucan. Where I live in Lucan is Cop town but buy the sounds of it , it could be renamed to Mod Town!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lol- I grew up in Lucan village- but the village is not the tiny little hamlet it once was..... There do seem to be a fair few of us either from Lucan or living there (though a lot are blow-ins :) )

St. Lomans never was considered to be Lucan by Lucan people- I am not sure what it comes under, but we would have considered it Neilstown/Clondalkin (we always lumped Neilstown and Clondalkin together, much to the annoyance of people in better parts of Clondalkin).

Balgaddy was traditionally the border of Lucan- when Esker Parish (as opposed to the cemetry) went up, there was a lot of puzzlement as to how it was Lucan, it had no focal point- Dodsboro was seen as a seperate village in its own right (now its a glorified bus terminus..... :( ) "Lucan South" was seen as a bit of a joke. There was also much laughter when they named a pub "The Penny Hill"- as Fagan's Tinkers Penny Hill was the old name of the steep hill on the Strawberry Beds Road (Tinker being a more pleasant term- Fagan owned a forge which was at the foot of the hill for generations).

Neilstown would have been prime Dublin West stomping ground- the old joke was how certain counsellors would ferry people to and from the polling stations making note of the addresses- the going rate per vote was a bag of coal. Sean Ferris was campaigning there years back and was amazed that it remained a staunch FF stronghold- until he was told he would have to outbid Liam Lawlor's bag of coal if he wanted votes there....

Lucan sure is not what it used to be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

smccarrick wrote:
    St. Lomans never was considered to be Lucan by Lucan people...

Lucan sure is not what it used to be.....

Aah indeed. But I like the village, and I like living there. I suppose I don't notice/care about the traffic because I'm on the bike.

My Folks said that when they moved to Lucan "way back when" you'd be delayed getting into dublin because of a tractor or two on the road. Nowadays you are just stuck in traffic...

[edit]
    Actually now that I think of it, the name "St Edmunds" given to a new housing estate on the grounds of St Lomans... What happens when they build in St Edmundsbury, across the N4... That is going to be another cause of confusion. Like with Esker...
    [/edit]

L.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My mam and uncle went to the schools in Lucan before Lucan was even a village.

My uncle was one of the first students in the CBS.

Sure people use to go on holidays to the Spa Hotel a couple of decades ago.

Lucan has changed alot and not in a good way but I still like living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I'm thinking of buying in this development meself.
    I've talked to HOK and they've said some of the properties will be affordable housing.
    I dont drive so this area would be perfect for me with work etc.
    Any knowledgeable soul know how I'd go about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 grrnnw

I heard the social element of this development was being used to upgrade the facilities on the halting site nearby and there would be no social housing. That may have changed though!

holy cow is everyone here from lucan?
    :D

jaysus lads they ruined the place :D LOL

what a sleepy village it once was! The aul lad claims they had a tram and a cinema there in the 50s but I dont believe him ;)

Imagine a tram and a cinema in a tiny tiny village - sure in this modern age we dont have a luas and didnt have a train station until recently

what a sleepy village it once was! The aul lad claims they had a tram and a cinema there in the 50s but I dont believe him ;)

Imagine a tram and a cinema in a tiny tiny village - sure in this modern age we dont have a luas and didnt have a train station until recently

I think they pulled up the tram in the 1930s.
    Who else here remembers shopping in Hemrycks on Main Street- while it was still a Supermarket though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For anyone listening to the radio ads, beware.

St Edmunds is not in Palmerstown as they claim - Palmerstown is 2km to the east, on the opposite side of the M50. It's just barely in Lucan - it's actually in Quarryvale, in the part of Clondalkin that Liam Lawlor had rezoned as Lucan.
    While it's technically 2 mins to Liffey Valley, the "Liffey Valley Centre" is actually an area about 1 square km in size. So you can cross the road to get to "Liffey Valley" but to actually get to the shopping centre is another 10-15 minute walk.

Note that there's a health clinic going in on the opposite side of St Loman's road which will also include a drug treatment centre. Currently being built, it looks like it'll be finished by the summer.

The development looks nice though, and the prices they're pitching seem to be bordering on sensible. It would be worth keeping an eye on the Luas line F discussions. They're due to settle on a route, and one of the two proposed routes goes right beside St Edmunds. If they choose this route and you plan on buying a property for 5 or more years, I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 babymay

seamus wrote: »
    For anyone listening to the radio ads, beware.

St Edmunds is not in Palmerstown as they claim - Palmerstown is 2km to the east, on the opposite side of the M50. It's just barely in Lucan - it's actually in Quarryvale, in the part of Clondalkin that Liam Lawlor had rezoned as Lucan.
    While it's technically 2 mins to Liffey Valley, the "Liffey Valley Centre" is actually an area about 1 square km in size. So you can cross the road to get to "Liffey Valley" but to actually get to the shopping centre is another 10-15 minute walk.

Note that there's a health clinic going in on the opposite side of St Loman's road which will also include a drug treatment centre. Currently being built, it looks like it'll be finished by the summer.

The development looks nice though, and the prices they're pitching seem to be bordering on sensible. It would be worth keeping an eye on the Luas line F discussions. They're due to settle on a route, and one of the two proposed routes goes right beside St Edmunds. If they choose this route and you plan on buying a property for 5 or more years, I would recommend it.
    Hi, I have put a deposit down on one the properties in the St. Edmunds development and am now worried about the addiction cntr. Also, i note there have been comments in relation to the volume of traffic on the road. As i am not from the area, can anyone advise on these issues? thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah, the traffic is bad.

Coming out of the development in the mornings, you'll get stuck in traffic if you try to go towards Liffey Valley or the N4 eastbound. In the evenings, the traffic is bad the opposite way. It looks though like they're putting in lights at the St. Edmund's extrance, which will help the residents there but annoy everyone else.

St Loman's Road is basically one big bottleneck. Traffic is often queuing along the entire length of that road, so you could be on it for anything up to 25 minutes.
    Hopefully the M50/N4 upgrades will help that road flow smoother, which will have a knock-one effect for all of the other roads in the area.

You should be able to get more info on that addiction centre on the planning maps on sdcc.ie but they seem to be down at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

the cinema used to be where the ulster bank and apartments are on the corner of the bridge heading to the strawberry beds.:cool:

lord lucan wrote:
    the cinema used to be where the ulster bank and apartments are on the corner of the bridge heading to the strawberry beds.:cool:

Not so cool- I'm living in one of them.....
    Its virtually impossible to sell them, despite the location. One of them has been on the market since Nov 06, it went sale agreed Dec 07 but has since fallen through......

I wish I'd bought a nice little house in an established area with a garden, and no management company......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 RossKavanagh18

ok it seems there is some confusion about what is Clondalkin and What is Lucan. Along the Fonthill Road From Clondalkin Village past Sean Kavanagh's garage until you reach Liffey Valley is Clondalkin .Balgaddy onwards is Lucan, 18 years ago Balgaddy,which is Lucan South now was in the Land registery 'Clondalkin' but due to the new fonthill Road being Built , boundries changed. and then further south is Deansrath and Grange Castle which are in Clondalkin.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Not so cool- I'm living in one of them.....
    Its virtually impossible to sell them, despite the location. One of them has been on the market since Nov 06, it went sale agreed Dec 07 but has since fallen through......

I wish I'd bought a nice little house in an established area with a garden, and no management company......

Are you old Lucan? I remember going to see Fantasia in your house!
    ok it seems there is some confusion about what is Clondalkin and What is Lucan. Along the Fonthill Road From Clondalkin Village past Sean Kavanagh's garage until you reach Liffey Valley is Clondalkin .Balgaddy onwards is Lucan, 18 years ago Balgaddy,which is Lucan South now was in the Land registery 'Clondalkin' but due to the new fonthill Road being Built , boundries changed. and then further south is Deansrath and Grange Castle which are in Clondalkin.

I've lived in Lucan for 25 years. Its hard to tell what is what with places claiming to be in Lucan and what not.

I remember when I was growing up that Lucan went as far as Esker Park and after that it was just green fields. I've seen in change over the last 15 years. Doing what I do now for a living its a pity the way things have turned out. It could have been so much more.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Are you old Lucan? I remember going to see Fantasia in your house!

Yes, Raiders of the lost Ark and ET were my first ones there :)
    I even managed to rescue a few reels when they were demolishing the place.

kearnsr wrote: »
    I've lived in Lucan for 25 years. Its hard to tell what is what with places claiming to be in Lucan and what not.

I remember when I was growing up that Lucan went as far as Esker Park and after that it was just green fields. I've seen in change over the last 15 years. Doing what I do now for a living its a pity the way things have turned out. It could have been so much more.

Ditto. Balgaddy etc wasn't Lucan (it was a seperate Parish altogether at the time). When I was a kid here over 30 years ago there were less than 400 houses in all of Lucan combined. Mrs Williams used still run her uncle's shop on Main Street (McCormacks) which was a wonderful treasure trove- and Hemrycks, which closed its doors as a snooker club last week, was still a supermarket....... That was the first shop in Ireland to import chocolate spread- I remember first seeing Nutella as a kid, and wondering what the hell it was :)

Times certainly do change, and not all for the better......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hillmt

Yeah, the traffic is bad.

Coming out of the development in the mornings, you'll get stuck in traffic if you try to go towards Liffey Valley or the N4 eastbound. In the evenings, the traffic is bad the opposite way. It looks though like they're putting in lights at the St. Edmund's extrance, which will help the residents there but annoy everyone else.

St Loman's Road is basically one big bottleneck. Traffic is often queuing along the entire length of that road, so you could be on it for anything up to 25 minutes.
    Hopefully the M50/N4 upgrades will help that road flow smoother, which will have a knock-one effect for all of the other roads in the area.

You should be able to get more info on that addiction centre on the planning maps on sdcc.ie but they seem to be down at the mo.

Yes, St. Loman's Road is a bottleneck etc. BUT the whole of Lucan is a bottleneck, and at least if you live in St.Edmund's or in that area of Lucan/Palmerstown/Clondalkin, you are at the top of the bottleneck. (you can add another 30-40 mins. driving in the morning e.g. from Lucan village to the M50)

By the way, Mt.Andrew, which is next door to St.Edmund's has a "Lucan" address. The Hermitage Clinic also is in Lucan.

IMO avoid Lucan and all other "estate-land" suburbia if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Hello

I am looking at buying in St Edmunds.

Can anyone fill me in on the following:
    1) Traffic - What time it is bad from in the morning / evening etc.
    2) Public Transport - What are the options to get into town etc.
    3) Are many people living in the development already or have sales slowed down like everywhere else?
    4) What are the pros / cons to the area / estate
    5) Have units in the development increased in value since it opened?
    6) What is this medical centre and will it effect the estate?

Tell me straight as I would rather know about the above or any other issues that come to mind ........

Thank you

1. Traffic is fine outbound- as your slip is before the Lucan snarlup. You will of course get caught along the quays, Hueston, the N4 prior to Palmerstown etc. In the morning though the bus lane inbound is screwing things up bigtime in the past forthnight (note: should be quiet enough for the summer now- hopefully......) Peak in the morning is from about 7.30AM onwards and in the evening from about 5PM.

2. Public transport- if you cross the road (the N4) there are buses every 3 minutes inbound. Outbound- you can take any of the Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth/Kilkock buses- the 25A in particular is really really frequent.

3. I am not aware that there are any units occuppied as yet- perhaps someone can update this?

4. Pros and cons- its calling itself Palmerstown to get away from the stigma of Neilstown (it was really stretching the imagination calling it Lucan- the developers didn't even try.......) The location is handy- and when the transport situation gets clarified (Luas) it may find itself a lot more popular than at the moment. The biggest problem at the moment is the lack of facilities/amenities in the immediate vicinity of the development- with the exception of Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

5. Have units in the development increased in value? Not a chance. I'd hazard a guess that they have fallen ~10% Given the lack of a resale market in them at present though- thats purely a guess. A lot of other new developments have fallen far more than this though- so its done quite reasonably.

6. The medical centre is a drugs treatment centre for addicts. It shouldn't affect the estate at all to be honest- its totally seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

5. Not a chance. Friend of mine just got 20K knocked off the price two weeks ago after haggling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SparklyEarrings

lynchie wrote: »
    5. Not a chance. Friend of mine just got 20K knocked off the price two weeks ago after haggling!

Hi there, I have put a booking deposit on a house in the St Edmunds development however I havent signed contracts yet as the developers solicitor is taking ages to issue them. The fact that your friend has had €20k knocked off the price has freaked me right out - can you please give me more details as I would want to negotiate too if that is an actual fact - I would be horrified to have paid more than the property is worth - especially now as the interest rates have increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hi there, I have put a booking deposit on a house in the St Edmunds development however I havent signed contracts yet as the developers solicitor is taking ages to issue them. The fact that your friend has had €20k knocked off the price has freaked me right out - can you please give me more details as I would want to negotiate too if that is an actual fact - I would be horrified to have paid more than the property is worth - especially now as the interest rates have increased.

Not my business to tell you what he paid for it in the end. Best bet is to haggle with them, for all I know the price you are paying now could be the same as what he got his for in the end assuming its the same block, house type etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Does the 25 X go down the N4 to the bus stop by the over pass that you walk under from St Edmunds?

To be in town IFSC what time bus would I have to get?

And coing out from the IFSC at about 5.30pm how long would it take to get home?

Thanks in advance.

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Does the 25 X go down the N4 to the bus stop by the over pass that you walk under from St Edmunds?
    Yep. There's a bus stop on the slip road coming down off the N4. The bus comes down that slip road (if he sees anyone waiting) and then back up again.
    To be in town IFSC what time bus would I have to get?
    When I was living out there, you'd get the 25X at Ballyowen at 8am and be on Bachelor's Walk at around 8.35 - 8.45.

I imagine the trip is a little quicker now with the new junction, but if you're there at 8am, whichever bus you get, should get you in with plenty of time.

I imagine the trip is a little quicker now with the new junction, but if you're there at 8am, whichever bus you get, should get you in with plenty of time.

Make sure you get an "X" though- or else you'll end up meandering around Chapelizod which can be an experience at 8.30AM in the morning.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I've been contacted and asked to go view an apartment up in this development tomorrow!!!

They are now selling them at just under 198k!!

So, can someone give me directions to it from the city centre?

Much appreciated.

:)

I've been contacted and asked to go view an apartment up in this development tomorrow!!!

They are now selling them at just under 198k!!

So, can someone give me directions to it from the city centre?

Much appreciated.

:)

Apartments in Adamstown are also gone well below 200k (for 1 beds, and about 220k for 2 beds)- and are open to offers. If its an apartment, as oppossed to a house, I'd not be too excited at 198k- they still have a long way to fall...... I seriously don't know how they think they'll get away with a proposed management charge of over 3k per annum......

Personally I'd check out Adamstown, before I'd consider St.Eds- there are far better amenities up there (relatively speaking)........

Apartments in Adamstown are also gone well below 200k (for 1 beds, and about 220k for 2 beds)- and are open to offers. If its an apartment, as oppossed to a house, I'd not be too excited at 198k- they still have a long way to fall...... I seriously don't know how they think they'll get away with a proposed management charge of over 3k per annum......

Personally I'd check out Adamstown, before I'd consider St.Eds- there are far better amenities up there (relatively speaking)........

When I went to see the apartment in Adamstown(The Paddocks to be exact), I wasn't happy at all with the size of the bathroom. I could get my wheelchair into it, but the way it was laid out was not suitable, and it would require a LOT of work before I moved in.

The apartment I saw in St Edmunds does require a lot of work too, but I think it's better value, and it's actually laid out MUCH better. The architect who designed the apartment I saw, actually had a bit of brains!!!

Fair enough- different aspects of different properties appeal to different people in different ways. Best of good luck- Shane

• Advertisement

Fair enough- different aspects of different properties appeal to different people in different ways. Best of good luck- Shane

Cheers. :)
    -John

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement