Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Edmunds, Liffey Valley

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

smccarrick wrote: »
    Apartments in Adamstown are also gone well below 200k (for 1 beds, and about 220k for 2 beds)- and are open to offers. If its an apartment, as oppossed to a house, I'd not be too excited at 198k- they still have a long way to fall...... I seriously don't know how they think they'll get away with a proposed management charge of over 3k per annum......

Personally I'd check out Adamstown, before I'd consider St.Eds- there are far better amenities up there (relatively speaking)........

I asked the people at SDCC if it was at all possible for the price of the property to be dropped, owing to the fact that I am going to have to spend a lot of money on getting adaptations to the apartment before I even move in, but she said No.

:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I asked the people at SDCC if it was at all possible for the price of the property to be dropped, owing to the fact that I am going to have to spend a lot of money on getting adaptations to the apartment before I even move in, but she said No.

:mad:

Bugger- you must be another of the people on the Affordable Housing list- there are a group of them trying to start a lobbygroup at the moment. Check the open market selling price- because it now seems that they could actually be cheaper- the developer is a lot more amenable to significant discounts, than SDCC.......

Bugger- you must be another of the people on the Affordable Housing list- there are a group of them trying to start a lobbygroup at the moment. Check the open market selling price- because it now seems that they could actually be cheaper- the developer is a lot more amenable to significant discounts, than SDCC.......

AFAIK, the open market price is in the region of 300k plus!!!

AFAIK, the open market price is in the region of 300k plus!!!

Nope- they are with Savills on Molesworth Street- there are 1 and 3 beds available. The 1 beds range from 175 to 190k and the 3 beds from 235 to 280 (I have no idea what the differences in prices for the similar units are?)

The builder- Glenkerrin, have a moratorium on private sales until the whole development is sold- which is masking the true market values- and the sales agent don't have the prices on the units- you have to ask.

I was interested- because I live just down the road.

Apparently they only officially went on the market last Sept/Oct- but have dropped the prices 3 times since.

Nope- they are with Savills on Molesworth Street- there are 1 and 3 beds available. The 1 beds range from 175 to 190k and the 3 beds from 235 to 280 (I have no idea what the differences in prices for the similar units are?)

The builder- Glenkerrin, have a moratorium on private sales until the whole development is sold- which is masking the true market values- and the sales agent don't have the prices on the units- you have to ask.

I was interested- because I live just down the road.

Apparently they only officially went on the market last Sept/Oct- but have dropped the prices 3 times since.

Ah well...........we will see.......!? I'm going to see my bank and a solicitor tomorrow.

:)

• Advertisement

Howdy guys

It's been bloody AGES since I posted in this thread. Well, here's where we're at: My OT has done the report on the adaptations that need to be done, and the builders(Glenkerrin) have quoted me a price of just over 20k inc VAT for doing the work.

They have also given me until THIS FRIDAY to make a decision one way or another about the apartment, but I have told them that this is not a straightforward yes or no decision owing to the fact that, as a disabled person, there are a bucketload of supports that I will need in place to enable me to live as independently as possible.

If I was to go ahead with this, I would need supports in the area of Personal care(toileting etc).

Also, I would need to apply for a grant in order to get the adaptations done, and because the apartment in question was only built in 2006, I would only be entitled to 50% of the grant. And in order to apply for this grant, I would need to have 2 quotes from separate contractors. Glenkerrin have told me that they will do the work, no matter what!!?? How the f**k am I going to get another quote from another contractor, when they know that they won't be doing the bloody work anyway!!!!

Either way, the council, and the developers have me by the short n curlies.

I have a friend who works in the law society, and she said that the councils are desperate to sell the properties because of the utter ******** that they have made of the whole AH thing, and that this is the reason the developers are putting pressure on me.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/property-plus/affordable-price-tags-for-house-hunters-at-st-edmonds-from-8364155000-1711847.html

My OT - who has been utterly brilliant to me during this whole thing - is going to ring the developers during the week to explain to them that this is no ordinary house sale, and to see if I can get a bit more time.

No wonder a lot of people with disabilities end up either in social housing or long time care........??

We don't have a bloody chance getting a fair crack of the whip as far as the property market goes!!!!

Thanks for the update Mental Mickey- do keep us appraised of how things go. Sorry to hear of the additional hurdles being put in your path.

Best wishes,

SMcCarrick

Thanks for the update Mental Mickey- do keep us appraised of how things go. Sorry to hear of the additional hurdles being put in your path.

Best wishes,

SMcCarrick

No problem. Would love to hear anyone's suggestions of ways of overcoming them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

Any word on much these apartments are going for now? Must be worth nothing at this stage

Stevo1011 wrote: »
    Any word on much these apartments are going for now? Must be worth nothing at this stage

180k for the 2 beds, and circa 200-250k for the 3 beds apparently.

• Advertisement

180k for the 2 beds, and circa 200-250k for the 3 beds apparently.

still expensive in my opinion considering the area

still expensive in my opinion considering the area

Its reaching the sort of levels that folk will begin to seriously consider them though. Personally- I wouldn't be thrilled at living there- but I do have to acknowledge that the transport links are actually very good- and if Metro West ever goes ahead (unlikely in my opinion in the next 20 years), it would in fact be a very interesting proposition.

I went to have a look at a room about a year ago to rent, the housing estate is now full of kids around the green, its right beside a drug clinic, and the walls are paper thin

I went to have a look at a room about a year ago to rent, the housing estate is now full of kids around the green, its right beside a drug clinic, and the walls are paper thin

The only thing in any way unusual about this development- over any development in Dublin over the past decade- is the drug treatment centre. If you imagine you'll find an apartment with reasonable sound insulation elsewhere- please let us know where, there are plenty of folk who'll be interested. Even if there are kids around the green- its reasonably close to lots of facilities and amenities for them (there are playing pitches less than a half mile away- and the Lucan community swimming pool is less than a mile away- and if you go further- you have the Adamstown library and all the Clondalkin/Adamstown/Newcastle facilities up at the 12th lock........

I personally wouldn't want to live there- but do feel its much maligned in people's minds, in a not very just manner.

I was looking to move there because it was so handy for work, but know that the apartments are going to the council its gone very rough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I was looking to move there because it was so handy for work, but know that the apartments are going to the council its gone very rough

Ah excuse me Stevo1011....I live here, and it is by no means rough. There are a lot of young families, first time buyers and retirees in the estate.

Ah its gone v rough totally put me off the place

Ah its gone v rough totally put me off the place

Can you please explain how?

went to check out a place a few months back, greeted by a bunch of kids meeting each other and smoking outside an apartment, when i was in the apartment the next door neighbour had a dog barking (pets are not meant to be allowed) and could hear it through the walls,

when i was leaving the kids were still outside, the lightning was bad, the "security" desk was empty

Plus the prices are only gonna drop, no point buying there for another 2/3 years

went to check out a place a few months back, greeted by a bunch of kids meeting each other and smoking outside an apartment, when i was in the apartment the next door neighbour had a dog barking (pets are not meant to be allowed) and could hear it through the walls,

when i was leaving the kids were still outside, the lightning was bad, the "security" desk was empty

Well lets see, kids/teenagers/young adults meeting to head over to liffey valley is not uncommon in any estate in the area and does not translate as "rough"
    Depending on the block you were viewing, will depend on the completeness of it - and why should the residents be paying electricity bills for lighting on blocks that are empty? The external lighting is solar powered and only comes on at night - again this does not constitute an estate being "rough"
    The "security" desk is not that, it is a night watch man hut, the 24 hour security is monitored via security cameras (with sound) and there are security on site overnight..they also patrol the estate and the carpark so they are not always in the hut.
    I'm sure however if you bought here you'd be delighted to pay extra for your own 24 hour security and lighting - the residents have decided on what they need and what they need to pay for, we do not cater for non residents.

As for the dog - there are animals on site - those that have them in the place have permission, my neighbour has a dog, and other than when they leave the apt and the dog barks for a few minutes there isn't a peep out of him.

I've lived here over 2 years and I've never had any trouble, I live alone and I feel quite safe all of the time. The neighbours are nice and reliable. Yes there is the odd party, but I dare you to find somewhere to live where you don't have that.
    Completely unrealistic of you to classify the whole estate as rough, because you arrived onsite for a visit and came to this conclusion in a brief time.

• Advertisement

Maybe your one of the ppl who own their own apartment and are looking for someone to rent a room, cause i found a lot of this on daft.ie. People who bought there at the height of the boom have no sale on value.

And the kids were outside for a good hour, they were hardly planning on walking to liffey valley now where they

Maybe your one of the ppl who own their own apartment and are looking for someone to rent a room, cause i found a lot of this on daft.ie. People who bought there at the height of the boom have no sale on value.

And the kids were outside for a good hour, they were hardly planning on walking to liffey valley now where they

Nope, I cover my mortgage all on my own, thank you very much. I wouldn't have bought unless I could

one of the few so

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Well lets see, kids/teenagers/young adults meeting to head over to liffey valley is not uncommon in any estate in the area and does not translate as "rough"
    Depending on the block you were viewing, will depend on the completeness of it - and why should the residents be paying electricity bills for lighting on blocks that are empty? The external lighting is solar powered and only comes on at night - again this does not constitute an estate being "rough"
    The "security" desk is not that, it is a night watch man hut, the 24 hour security is monitored via security cameras (with sound) and there are security on site overnight..they also patrol the estate and the carpark so they are not always in the hut.
    I'm sure however if you bought here you'd be delighted to pay extra for your own 24 hour security and lighting - the residents have decided on what they need and what they need to pay for, we do not cater for non residents.

As for the dog - there are animals on site - those that have them in the place have permission, my neighbour has a dog, and other than when they leave the apt and the dog barks for a few minutes there isn't a peep out of him.

I've lived here over 2 years and I've never had any trouble, I live alone and I feel quite safe all of the time. The neighbours are nice and reliable. Yes there is the odd party, but I dare you to find somewhere to live where you don't have that.
    Completely unrealistic of you to classify the whole estate as rough, because you arrived onsite for a visit and came to this conclusion in a brief time.

Don't feed the trolls.

Apart from complete morons parking in my carparking space St Edmunds is fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement