Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mouse under the bonnet..

Options
  • 09-10-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what to do about fan (or whichever) belt which is squeak so much in my, ahem.. Renault Megane I'm trying to sell it (God help me after reading the love of Renaults in this group!) so don't want to do too much with it.

Something to do with the wet I think, but I don't really know.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not quite sure of the belt set up on a Megane but the best solution is to replace the belt as the old one is starting to wear and loosing its grip which is what causes the squeal. I doubt there is much else you can do as the tensioner for the belt is most likely automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Look at it and make sure is not loose. It can be easily sorted out.

louie wrote:
    Look at it and make sure is not loose. It can be easily sorted out.
    True. If it is quite loose it could indicate problem with the belt tensioner - which will be more costly that the belt alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Or if your selling it in a hurry (as most Renault owners do) you could spray it with silicone spray and hope for the best. (but you didn't hear it from me, right.;) :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could it not just be due a change?** What mileage is on the car/has been done since the last change.Also what year is it?

** sorry to throw a possible spanner in `the works for the circleing renault haters.

junkyard wrote:
    Or if your selling it in a hurry (as most Renault owners do) you could spray it with silicone spray and hope for the best. (but you didn't hear it from me, right.;) :rolleyes: )

Good to see people in the trade discouraging people from hiding potentially very serious faults with cars before offloading them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    I hear that WD40 can shut up a noisey belt....................

Usubstantiated rumors.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

crosstownk wrote:
    I hear that WD40 can shut up a noisey belt....................

Usubstantiated rumors.....................
    As can this sort of stuff- http://www.polsteins.com/prod-0113351.html, available in most industrial/engineering supply places.

Hmmm... belt dressing spray - belt tensioner in a can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Also what year is it?

It's a 2001, haven't had the belt changed since I had it.

I'll have a gander to see if it's loose. I've been trying to sell this car for about 3 months.. About 2 calls. I'm obviouly pricing it a bit high, but i was hoping cover the remainder of the car loan.. Obviously have to drop the price again & bite the bullet!

Cheers all for advice.

bw wrote:
    It's a 2001, haven't had the belt changed since I had it.

Mileage is a little more important than year in this instance...............

If the car has upwards of 50,000 miles it would do no harm to change the drive belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    Mileage is a little more important than year in this instance...............

If the car has upwards of 50,000 miles it would do no harm to change the drive belt.

Do they not recommend X amount of miles or 5 years? The Clio was 65k (i think, dont have the manual to hand) or 5 years, whichever comes first.

If it's mainly a city driven car it could have realativly low mileage but have a huge amount of running hours on the belt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement