Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evergrey (Check these guys out, they rock)

• 09-10-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Been listening to them today, and I thought I'd create a thread, they seem to be quite unheard of here.

If you've not heard them, click here.

I first heard them myself a couple of years ago when they played the Bloodstock festival and absolutely blew me away, they were one of the best bands there that year, so I just immediately bought one of their albums. Excellent stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I got Solitude Dominance Tragedy a few months ago, pretty ****e tbh. Won't be buying another album unless this was just a once off bad release, since I see some of their other stuff is fairly decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I like the twin guitar part after the first chorus. Jury is still on them for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mp3guy wrote:
    I got Solitude Dominance Tragedy a few months ago, pretty ****e tbh.

Really? What was ****e about it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I dunno, never really clicked. It was very repetitive, nothing really amazing, I was bored after one listen. Could just be me, Symphony X's "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" never clicked for me either, so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I have a couple of songs of theirs but to me they just sound like a second rate Dream Theater/Symphony X. I might give them another go though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Tried them, didn't like them. :<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yeah, I heard them well after I was introduced to Symphony X and they just never showed any distinctive appeal, merely just showed me what was good about Symphony X, as these guys played similar material but didn't carry the same impact. Seems to be the general opinion across the board on these guys.

Wow, I'm quite suprised at some of the replies here.

I've got Recreation Day on at the moment, and all I can say is what a fantastic, solid and consistantly good melodic metal album it is. I definetly see the Symphony X comparison, but second rate Dream Theater? They really don't sound like Dream Theater at all.

I definetly see the Symphony X comparison, but second rate Dream Theater? They really don't sound like Dream Theater at all.

Okay, they definitely sound closer to SX but there's definitely strong similarities to I&W era DT to my ears. I don't think they're **** or anything just not great.

Out of curiosity, what songs of theirs have you heard? Because I honestly don't think it sounds much at all like I&W era DT, just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtbIohINUr0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

not my bag

Out of curiosity, what songs of theirs have you heard? Because I honestly don't think it sounds much at all like I&W era DT, just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtbIohINUr0

Sadly I can't watch that, due to my dial-up connection :mad: but if you listen to the track Solitude Within you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Treebeard wrote:
    Sadly I can't watch that, due to my dial-up connection :mad: but if you listen to the track Solitude Within you'll hear what I'm talking about.

That's a pretty poor track tbh. They've got way better stuff than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Got into this band 2/3 years ago but had forgotten about them up until seeing them live at Gaspop this year, where they blew me away (possibly the best band there). Opened with Blinded and just steamrolled from there all the way to The Masterplan.
    And BTW Solitude Within is a kick-ass track. Just listen to that intro!!
    I think perhaps Nosferatu and Mark Of The Triangle are my favourite tracks and probably the highlights of the DVD (don't get me started on the DVD!!)...

(don't get me started on the DVD!!)

It is one awesome DVD, isn't it? :D

8 and a half hours of stuff for €20, if there's a better value purchase out there I have yet to hear of it.
    And some of the backstage stuff is hilarious, like when they're taking ****s in the toilet and one guy only manages a fart or the Richard Christy bit...quality viewing.

I haven't given the second disc much of a look tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I have the Inner Circle and think its great.
    Must get Recreation Day.

Looking at your last.fm page mp3guy, excellent taste!

Mr. Hungus, you like Evergrey, Blind Guardian, and Dream Theater, I command you to check out Pain Of Salvation, my favourite band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI
    This is some of the best singing I have ever heard!

Mr. Hungus, you like Evergrey, Blind Guardian, and Dream Theater, I command you to check out Pain Of Salvation, my favourite band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI
    This is some of the best singing I have ever heard!

Damn, I knew there was a band I was meant to check out, thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Damn, I knew there was a band I was meant to check out, thanks for reminding me!
    Their latest, BE is my favourite but its very different from the other stuff so if ya dont like it, check out Remedy Lane.
    Also check out Ayreon if you haven't already - the human equation has loads of people you would know.
    BTW, all these bands are on the same label (Inside Out) so it might be cheaper to buy from them if you like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Really like these guys, first heard them at Bloodstock, havent heard anything after "The Inner Circle" album. The Inner Circle is probably their most consistantly excellent album, but some of their earlier songs are really incredible, Mark of the Triangle would probably be their best song (off "In Search of Truth"), other excellent songs include: The Shocking Truth, Dark Waters, As I Lie Here Bleeding, and When the Walls go Down. Of all of them the only one of them on The Inner Circle is "When the Walls go Down", and its mainly there because its so different, and just a damn good listen, really gets you thinking.

Also cant help but notice everyone who has seen them live was somewhat blown away by them :D

Pugsley wrote:
    Also cant help but notice everyone who has seen them live was somewhat blown away by them :D
    Damn right. The only other non-extreme band to equal them so far for me has been Blind Guardian two weeks ago. Oooh the catchiness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

IMHO Pain of Salvation are quite good but not great.The same goes for Sym-X as well.Evergrey are also mediocre.To my mind DT and Spiral Architect and Evensong are better examples of melodic proggish metal.

Evergrey aren't bad at all tho, just a bit meh.

Evensong? Aren't they more doom/atmospheric?

I've never even heard of Evensong I'm afraid.

Nice to see someone else likes Spiral Architect though, they're insanely good, but I wouldn't class them with the likes of DT or Evergrey. Very different stuff.

Yeah, Spiral Architect aren't very similar at all, very much more jazz influenced. Plus they dispell the myth that Black Metal musicians can't play their instruments.

Plus they dispell the myth that Black Metal musicians can't play their instruments.

I thought Emperor did that. :D

Advertisement