Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3v

Options
  • 09-10-2006 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

i hope this is the right thread for this.

I have just signed up for a 3v card and have also just made my first purchase with it.

what im looking for are other peoples opinions on 3v as i have had trouble buying from certain websites

gar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

admiralgar wrote:
    i hope this is the right thread for this.

I have just signed up for a 3v card and have also just made my first purchase with it.

what im looking for are other peoples opinions on 3v as i have had trouble buying from certain websites

gar
    Bit of a rip off imo, OK it's convenient when you don't have a credit card but if , say, you're buying off ebay and you don't know what your final price will be, so you buy a voucher for €100 which costs €105, you bid on ebay and you win for €75 you don't need anything else so you redeem the balance, cost €2.50. So you have forked out €7.50 for the privelege of spending your own money. If they would allow you to carry the balance forward to another voucher it wouldn't be so bad but as it stands it.s not good value. On the other point I haven't heard of anybody having difficulty with sites accepting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i couldnt buy from play.com.

i agree it would make sense if the balance could be carried forward, hopefully they will sort that out eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

hi

Yes, Slightly expensive

But remember you are giving the Goverment 40 Euro a year..if can use 3V 8 times a yearfor free...then it costs

Also just get enough for ebay...if you do have money left over, open up a spare paypal account and send the last few quid (only small change here-- Paypal charges) to yourself...dont have to waste Euro 2.50 to 3v:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Has anyone used one of these to purchase music downloads? Not too keen on using my real credit card for this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

olearydc wrote:
    hi

Yes, Slightly expensive

But remember you are giving the Goverment 40 Euro a year..if can use 3V 8 times a yearfor free...then it costs

Also just get enough for ebay...if you do have money left over, open up a spare paypal account and send the last few quid (only small change here-- Paypal charges) to yourself...dont have to waste Euro 2.50 to 3v:)

The extra €5 per voucher goes towards 3v and the retailer only.

I dont think these get charged 40euro government duty on em cause they are paper and expire in a month after purchase. Could be wrong tho, but then we would be paying more to cover the cost of the stamp duty per voucher?

• Advertisement

there isnt any government stamp duty on them and they have a 2 month from purchase expiry date

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

olearydc wrote:
    hi

Yes, Slightly expensive

Yep..I said it wrong :confused:

With a normal Credit CArd you give the Goverment 40 Euro a year
    With 3V you pay NO tax on the Visa Card, but you pay a fee of 5 Euro for each topup....so 8 Top-ups are like paying tax to the goverment...after 8 go's you would be losing out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

admiralgar wrote:
    i couldnt buy from play.com.

i use mine all the time on play.com and other web sites with no problems at all , the only issues i have with it are you can only get €350 at a time and only spend €2500 in a year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bmaxi wrote:
    Bit of a rip off imo, OK it's convenient when you don't have a credit card but if , say, you're buying off ebay and you don't know what your final price will be, so you buy a voucher for €100 which costs €105, you bid on ebay and you win for €75 you don't need anything else so you redeem the balance, cost €2.50. So you have forked out €7.50 for the privelege of spending your own money. If they would allow you to carry the balance forward to another voucher it wouldn't be so bad but as it stands it.s not good value. On the other point I haven't heard of anybody having difficulty with sites accepting them.

Err not get the 3v the day you win for the final price? Or is that clever?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Err not get the 3v the day you win for the final price? Or is that clever?

kdjac

I don't pretend to be an expert but a lot of sellers on ebay require immediate payment, this is not possible with 3v unless you have already purchased the voucher. I'm open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Out of the fiver you are charged, the shop gets 1.50 euro for doing it. Not much really. I work for Centra.

bmaxi, you must have money on the voucher to use it, it isnt actually the card that you use to buy, its the voucher that you buy with the card; that gets used to purchase. i knew nothing about the €2500 yearly limit, thats pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

With most ebay users you have five days to pay, I found the 3v cards tremdously handy before I got my Credit Card, but yes the 2500 limit is crappy, it's in the small print and I knew nothing of it till I got a letter in the door informing me I had nearly reached the limit.

admiralgar wrote:
    bmaxi, you must have money on the voucher to use it, it isnt actually the card that you use to buy,

That's the point I was making

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Has anyone used one of these to purchase music downloads? Not too keen on using my real credit card for this.

Not sure about other sites, but iTunes is just fine with credit cards...imho its better value then some other sites too

Advertisement