Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Tiles for Re-use

Options
  • 09-10-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I need to remove some tiles from a 40yr. old fireplace without breaking them , then I need to fit a wood burning stove , and lastly replace some of the tiles .
    I need some tips on tile removal , if I saturate behind the tiles , will this help to ease thnm off ? All suggestions welcome , just don't tell me to be careful!

pjq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How big are the tiles?
    The more of it you can support (by a scraper etc) the less likely they are to break.
    What are they tiled to, wood, plasterboard/wallpaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Really depends on how they were fixed originally. I would imagine that fireplace tiles with all the heat over the years would be really well set. I suppose I would start by removing all grout and then trying to get as much of the fixing material from under the leading edges of the tiles. Then delicate patience with a thin scraper/chisel etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

I removed the mantlepiece and wiggled a putty knief between the tiles and the body of the fireplace which is made out of a porous cement like a cement block. And carefully they all came away in one piece .

pjq

Advertisement