Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Again ... Eircom BBand dreadfully Slow - Cork. Anyone else?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

In my business I deal with comms comapnys, just got off the phone to a tech guy / owner of one of these companys. They are Eircom dealers [ amongst others ] - they were onto Eircom techs who basically threw their hands up and said right now - THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE NOR CAN THEY FIND WHERE THE PROBLEM IS, It could be found tomorrow or next week or thereafter.

So, their you go. And by the way this is not I heard it from a buddy story.

Just to let ye know as I hear,
    Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

...maybe a MARGINAL improvement but still unacceptable...if I was them, I'd take down the entire system and do a cold start.....it doesn't seem to me like they have the nous to figure out where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Spent almost 30mins wiating for Eircoms "excellent support" as advertised on their website today, wondering why my broadband was so bloody slow....Eircoms own speed test shows a pathetic 0.98kbps
    Needless to say there was no mention of the problem on Eircoms own broadband site (that I could see) and I never thought of looking here, they mentioned that the problem lay in the Churchfield exchamge and it would be back in working order tonight tonight or tomorrow morning, I hope they have more techs. working on the problem than they have in their landline support office:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Got to love the standards of acceptability in this country. "Yerra leave it till its broken", ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

In Carrigaline here, getting 2.5 KB/sec download, 0.9 KB/sec upload. I'm absolutely furious because I have some work to polish off by tonight and with no broadband, I can't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

normal speeds back again for the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Eircom speedtest tonight Result: 65.15 KBps
    12/10/2006 23:06 622 kbps (76 KB/s) 106 kbps (13 KB/s) 51 % 31 ms 759 ms
    12/10/2006 20:12 2 kbps (1 KB/s) 104 kbps (13 KB/s) 100 % 30 ms 0 ms
    12/10/2006 18:26 56 kbps (7 KB/s) 103 kbps (13 KB/s) 4 % 23 ms 1811 ms
    12/10/2006 11:41 72 kbps (9 KB/s) 108 kbps (14 KB/s) 41 % 31 ms 1245 ms
    12/10/2006 11:39 144 kbps (18 KB/s) 94 kbps (12 KB/s) 56 % 231 ms 313 ms
    11/10/2006 23:28 43 kbps (6 KB/s) 93 kbps (12 KB/s) 24 % 30 ms 3446 ms
    09/10/2006 23:51 90 kbps (11 KB/s) 108 kbps (14 KB/s) 8 % 32 ms 2437 ms
    04/10/2006 18:41 633 kbps (78 KB/s) 108 kbps (14 KB/s) 60 % 29 ms 714 ms
    30/09/2006 11:03 860 kbps (105 KB/s) 108 kbps (14 KB/s) 96 % 30 ms 217 ms
    30/09/2006 09:04 858 kbps (105 KB/s) 107 kbps (14 KB/s) 95 % 35 ms 355 ms

My package is the 1mb homestarter

Hi Guys,

By george I think they have got it. Upload and Download speeds back to normal for the first time in over a week.

A piece of guarded optimism though, tomorrow will tell alot ...

Me with Eircom - [ saying this just for comparison purposes ]

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

aidanodr wrote:
    Hi Guys,

By george I think they have got it. Upload and Download speeds back to normal for the first time in over a week.

Cheers
    Aidan

Just back for me too on UTV. But is it just a random coincidence....surely the Eircom techs went home at 5.30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Home by 5:30??? Not a chance. This was an overtime fest for the techies. They probably could have fixed this on monday, but where's the profit in that. Big bulging wage packets next week me think's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bandon1

Ok here in Bandon. Was broken badly at 10.30 last night (not even DSL sync) and ok since I first checked at 7am this morning.

But that was also the case yesterday and it all went to hell again around 8.30am. I'm not counting any chickens.

At least BT have the problem up on their support page. But just with a "we're working on it".

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mallian

Touch wood everything seems ok at the moment 2.54Mbps on BT 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Seems ok now, upload speed still pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

aidanodr wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Cheers
    Aidan

Aidan, if you hear any details from your contacts about what the problem was, and what the eircom techs ended up doing to fix it, I'd be interested to hear.
    thrill wrote:
    Home by 5:30??? Not a chance. This was an overtime fest for the techies. They probably could have fixed this on monday, but where's the profit in that. Big bulging wage packets next week me think's.

Ok, so it's an advantage for the techs to solve the problem slowly?
    How did eircom end up with a situation like this.....probably something to do with the fact that it was a state-owned monopoly.
    But more importantly, how do companies who do this kind of network/systems maintenance (e.g. EMC) motivate their techs to solve problems quickly?

I have the eircom 2mb download package.Last night i did the eircom speed test and got 202KBps.I noticed some slowdown when i logged on a few moments ago so i did the test a couple of times again.It's down to 68.98KBps.

Is it just me or is there a slowdown again?

Hi Thrill,

Just did a test at: http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

DLoad: 1.74mbps
    ULoad: 214kbps

Eircom 2mb Package also, here in Carrigaline,

Cheers
    Aidan

Thanks Aidan.

I just tried that site and my test results were
    almost exactly the same as yours.

Quality of service : 84%

A hell of a lot better than earlier.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

Hey,

Noticed the slowdown when videos started rebuffering.
    My Quality of Service is low - averaging around 30% on that site.
    with 600kbps download.

what should we expect from eircom? Do they state a QOS standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 richman

I have read with interest the comments on BB speeds over the last 10 days or so. I am with BT and up to a few weeks ago my speed was 1.75Mb on 2Mb package. For several weeks the speed has been all over the place from no connection(offline) to low as .300Mb. But the upload speed has been reasonable. Not that I do much of that. (using Irishisptest)

I have noticed over severminutes that the speed can vary. This evening the sysyem has bogged down,

Is it the LL is not up to it. Another fine mess we have got ourselves into. I believe that ComReg does not have any powers over ISp's

Richman

Advertisement