Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident-What do I do now?

Options
  • 09-10-2006 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hey, just looking for any advise I can get here.

Had a small accident last night... heres the quick version with no particulars.

Stopped at traffic lights at Harolds X bridge along the canal last night. Lights turn red for traffic going over bridge. 2 cars break the red light. Lights turn green for me, move off a see a car coming for me from the corner of my eye. I slammed on breaks and his car skims the front bumper of mine. This is about 5-10 seconds after the lights had turned red! We both pull in and I just shout the head off him (I know, but he almost killed us). He denied it, saying that his light was green (yet he didn't seem pissed off with me for breaking my "red light"?) 3 lads saw it and they gave what they saw to the gardai. Then a really nice taxi driver who saw it came back after dropping his fare and also told the gardai. Finally (after denying to this point) he admitted he broke the light.

I got a few questions, any help would be brill.

1)I was advised by the garage that its probably best to claim off my insurance (I'm fully comp) then my insurance company will claim it all back from this persons insurance. Is this a good idea?

2)My insurance company said that it was possible but didn't advise it and said that I would be better dealing direct with his insurance company (they're polish) or trying to get him to pay cash. What do you think of this option?

3)How likely is it that he gave fake details and has a fake policy number and disc. And if this is the case, will the Insurance Federation pay out?

4)He says he's going back to Poland on Friday, do you think he said this to avoid being prosecuted? (The gards said there would be no point)

@Wyndam. Damage is ca E1500. Thats coming from a Ford garage (and knowing that it will be paid by insurance)
    Thanks in advance:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How much is the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Claim off his insurance. They should have english speakers to deal with you. Don't claim off your own or your premium will go up.

If he gave a fake number you can claim for being hit by an uninsured driver, there is some fund for that (can't remember off the name the top of my head)

BTW, I don't believe a quiet person like you has ever shouted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Linoge - sorry to hear about what happened.

If you or you insurance need to get a Polish translator/interpreter, drop me a PM - my G/F is a qualified translator and does some court work.

Advertisement