Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Supercharge a car?

Options
  • 09-10-2006 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

hi Folks,
    Does anybody know if its possible to supercharge any car, and if so, whats the general costing?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Suppose if money is no object, then yes. A bolt on non intercooled kit for my own is €4k supplied. Price goes up to €7k for an intercooled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car is it?As kdevitt said if money isnt an object then it sure is!

Id say ballpark your looking 4k and expect it to rise tbh,i had toy'd with turboing my civic,kits readily available and ive done a fair amount of research on it but at the end of the day you gotta ask yourself is it worth the 4/5/6k its gonna cost to do it all right when you can sell the car and add the money to it to buy something already turbo/supercharged

Also DONT ever consider an ebay supercharger for 100euro,instead buy a hair dryer and fire it into your intake,same effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Also good are leaf blowers, go for a petrol engined leaf blower as you won't have an electrical outlet to plug in an electric one. Should be able to get about 3.5 psi of boost, and they don't heat up the air much, so you won't need an intercooler. Just remember to start it BEFORE starting the car.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

lol! Maybe use the hairdryer as the turbocharger?! :D

The reason Im asking, I was beside a 98 golf that had the "ktsst" supercharger noise. Thought it was strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, kdevitt has already provided you with your answer. Aside from the money, you should think about how long you want to keep the car, as it may be a deterrent to potential buyers who aren't interested in a heavily modified engine.
    As for the 98 golf, well it didn't come from the factory like that, but it might have been turbocharged or supercharged, hard to know. If its just the noise you are after, you can fit something to the exhaust I think, or rig up a speaker under the bonnet that makes the psshh for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

eireal wrote:
    What car is it?As kdevitt said if money isnt an object then it sure is!

Id say ballpark your looking 4k and expect it to rise tbh,i had toy'd with turboing my civic,kits readily available and ive done a fair amount of research on it but at the end of the day you gotta ask yourself is it worth the 4/5/6k its gonna cost to do it all right when you can sell the car and add the money to it to buy something already turbo/supercharged

Also DONT ever consider an ebay supercharger for 100euro,instead buy a hair dryer and fire it into your intake,same effect!

Yupp TF have done a few Turbo Civics which are seriously quick, if anything I would suggest a supercharger for those low non-torque revs so it woulkd bring you into your power band pretty quick. Never seen it but would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

That "ktsst" noise you heard may be a dump valve fitted to an engine with a turbo. Dump valves are not particularly expensive and can be easy to fit. Superchargers are renowned for big thirst due to the extra load on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Andrewf20 wrote:
    That "ktsst" noise you heard may be a dump valve fitted to an engine with a turbo. Dump valves are not particularly expensive and can be easy to fit. Superchargers are renowned for big thirst due to the extra load on the engine.

Or one of those cheap kits that just makes the noise.....:rolleyes:

did you notice if the golf was a tdi by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Andrewf20 wrote:

ok, so my car is factory supercharged - 01 E-class 2.0 supercharged - but it is exceptionally light on juice for it's size. 28mpg on school run (2 miles), 35mpg on a run. And I found my last car - a TT - being turbo'd, wasn't heavy on juice, either, so I don't know where that 'alco feeling' is coming from.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Thats pretty good mpg alright. It was just something I read about in a magazine a while ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement